Splatterhouse

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I've had this on the Wii VC for a long time and just beat it tonight. Ran out of continues and resorted to level select. After beating the game went thru it again only continuing once.

What a cool game, right? It's such a bare-bones, no-frills games. Punch a monster and they explode. The special attack, just a sliding kick, does more harm than good. It's got shitty sewer sections but if you jump over the holes then you never play thru them.

It sucks that the Turbografx-16 pussied out and censored some things like the cross and the altar. It makes no sense standing there in an empty hallway while church music plays after beating the boss.

I had Splatterhouse 2 and beat that a long time ago but can't remember much aside from a boss's eyes exploding and the music being shitty.

Briefly played 3 on an emulator for five mins and never played SD Splatterhouse.

Let's talk Splatterhouse. The first one got so many things right.

Censorship differences: http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=5982816

Lots of scans from old game mags: http://splatterhouse.kontek.net/shtginfo.html

I wish Kade were here to do a PC-Engine/Arcade comparison. I can't find any site that has an extensive screenshot comparison.

edit: oh shit wikipedia has a good list of differences:

Arcade VS PC-Engine
The arcade version opens with an animation of Rick and Jennifer running through the storm and into the mansion, followed by an exterior shot of the mansion and the sound of Jennifer screaming. The console version opens simply with the exterior of the mansion, and no sound effects.
The weapon in Stage 1 and Stage 2 is changed from a meat cleaver to a wooden stick.
The overall violence and gore is toned down; enemies bleed less and the sound effects are less gruesome.
The weapon for the Stage 4 boss is changed from an axe to a golden meat cleaver, the only cleaver in the game.
The crawling hand in Stage 5 no longer flashes the middle finger.
The death of the womb boss of Stage 6 is changed from a graphic spilling of embryonic fluids into a generic fiery explosion.
The final boss uses different attacks.
The end cut scene is changed from the original arcade ending, in which the mask breaks from Rick's face, followed by a shot of him walking away from the burning mansion and an additional cut scene showing the mask reform and laugh. The ending in the TurboGrafx-16 version only shows the mask explode, followed by a picture of West Mansion burning while the credits roll, and finally a large red and orange "End" is displayed.

The following edits are exclusive to the North American TurboGrafx-16 version:
The Terror Mask is changed from a white hockey mask to a red mask with black accents. This is to keep Rick from looking too much like Jason Voorhees. The mask became more skull-like in later games.
The cathedral arches are removed from the Stage 4 boss chamber background and the altar is removed from the following cut-scene.
The inverted cross boss of Stage 4 is replaced with a severed head.
The final boss' grave is changed from a wooden cross to a tombstone.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Splatterhouse is partly responsible for mass massacres like Sandy Hook.

According to the NRA.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Splatter house 3 is my personal favorite.

3 is also my personal favourite. i liked all the special abilities rick was able to do, and the whole haunted house thing.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I suck at Splatterhouse but love the crap out of it. Do you have any tips on clobbering the double chainsaw sackman in Level 3?

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
The first one on Turbo I used to own. One of my favorite games for the system. I'll have to track down the JP version at some point. I didn't know, but should have realized, that the PCE version was less edited.

Never played any of the other ones.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
The first one on Turbo I used to own. One of my favorite games for the system. I'll have to track down the JP version at some point. I didn't know, but should have realized, that the PCE version was less edited.

Never played any of the other ones.

The PCE is definitely much less edited. The U.S. really did NOT like the religious references at all...

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I was looking for the PCE version a while back, its on my want list. In all the videos I've seen it just looks like a ton of fun and a great Halloween game.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Hey, since we're all talking about Splatterhouse, would any of you guys think it would do well as a movie adaptation or a mini series? Especially if used practical effects and so forth?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Hey, since we're all talking about Splatterhouse, would any of you guys think it would do well as a movie adaptation or a mini series? Especially if used practical effects and so forth?

Movie.

No reason to drag the story out over a series.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Splatterhouse 3 is my favorite. One and two are good, but I prefer the non-linear room structure of the third game which gives it more replay value. I tried and beat the cutesy Famicom Wanpaku Graffiti Splatterhouse years ago, and, while it was okay, it didn't do much for me.

How much do I love Splatterhouse? Enough to spend almost two weeks of my life making this from scratch:

SPL_splatter.jpg

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Splatterhouse 3 is my favorite. One and two are good, but I prefer the non-linear room structure of the third game which gives it more replay value. I tried and beat the cutesy Famicom Wanpaku Graffiti Splatterhouse years ago, and, while it was okay, it didn't do much for me.

How much do I love Splatterhouse? Enough to spend almost two weeks of my life making this from scratch:

View attachment 39984

Holy crap that's incredible!

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Holy shit!!!! Thats amazing work M. I started with Splatterhouse 3 as a young kid. Game scared me a lot as a child, and still creeps me out to this day. Splatterhouse 1 is great as well. Simple, but it works well. I have only played Splatterhouse 2 once or twice. I should fix that this Halloween.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Love the Splatterhouse series! First and second one are my favorites. Three was pretty good, though it was probably the most aggravating of the three main games. Even the new one that came out for 360/PS3 wasn't that bad for a God of War clone.

Also M, that diorama is seriously badass!

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
That's unreal.

Make more levels.

View attachment 39984

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Dude, you are a diorama master! That's amazing you should be selling these, they look 100X better than any stuff I have ever seen.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
I suck at Splatterhouse but love the crap out of it. Do you have any tips on clobbering the double chainsaw sackman in Level 3?

Save the first shotgun from the start of the level by killing the enemies with kicks instead, then when you find the 2nd shotgun, bring them both towards the boss by dropping one, picking the other up and vice versa every couple steps. You should be able to kill him before you run out of shotgun ammo this way.

Ip Man

15 Year Member

i think as a game splatterhouse has too many movie references to begin with. so if they made a movie out of it, they would have to change too much, which would result in the movie/tv series having very little (besides the plot) to do with the video game.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I can't say I have been much of a fan of the franchise. I do recall playing much of the first but that was about it, and I liked it ok but was not blown away to go further up until more recent years. I still do not care about it, but I ended up owning the Famicom splatterhouse wanpaku graffiti and it is a pretty amusing take on the original.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Save the first shotgun from the start of the level by killing the enemies with kicks instead, then when you find the 2nd shotgun, bring them both towards the boss by dropping one, picking the other up and vice versa every couple steps. You should be able to kill him before you run out of shotgun ammo this way.

Holy crap that's brilliant, thanks Tw3ek!!!

And M, that diorama is BOSS!!!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

Took me a while to figure that one out. This kinda sounds like cheating but I have no idea of any other way to beat that boss.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
I can't say I have been much of a fan of the franchise. I do recall playing much of the first but that was about it, and I liked it ok but was not blown away to go further up until more recent years. I still do not care about it, but I ended up owning the Famicom splatterhouse wanpaku graffiti and it is a pretty amusing take on the original.

same here. i always did like being able to play as rick (jason voorhees) because i'm a huge jason fan. but besides that, never really enjoyed the gameplay as much as others did. i tend to like the second game more than the first and the third game more than the second. where as fans of the game would say otherwise. guess it's just not my kind of game. more of a streets of rage/final fight fan my self.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
I always wondered why it never got put on Live/PSN

Love 3 the most put as a whole it's still one of my fav series

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Briefly played 3 on an emulator for five mins and never played SD Splatterhouse.

You should play Part III all the way through. It's a great game. Best of the series, IMO.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I really haven't played the series much either, just the Turbografx and Famicom games. Speaking of which, everyone needs to play the Famicom Splatterhouse. It's quite a bit different than the other games. It's not a toned down port, it's more like Kid Dracula or Mighty Final Fight where it's a parody and does it's own thing. The first stage boss is basically the Thriller video. Yup.