Spergy Rant: GB Restorations Have Ruined GB Collecting

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Hear me out.

It really bothers me that people are manufacturing limited edition Game Boy shells. Zelda SP, atomic green Pocket, whatever - you can just replace your cracked case (or perfectly fine case) with a new, cooler one for $5 off Aliexpress. You didn't have to be there at release. You didn't have to put in the work in finding an authentic limited edition. You just spent $5 on the internet.

How does this affect me? I want an atomic green Pocket and and an ice blue Pocket. And a transparent orange Color. But now...who knows if what I'm buying on eBay is legit? I now have to go through the embarrassment of legit-checking online, and always wondering.

Limited edition is no longer limited. We are living in a post-modern world of game consoles and I hate it.

Abolish limited edition case replacements. Standard colors only. Sign my petition.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Hear me out.

It really bothers me that people are manufacturing limited edition Game Boy shells. Zelda SP, atomic green Pocket, whatever - you can just replace your cracked case (or perfectly fine case) with a new, cooler one for $5 off Aliexpress. You didn't have to be there at release. You didn't have to put in the work in finding an authentic limited edition. You just spent $5 on the internet.

How does this affect me? I want an atomic green Pocket and and an ice blue Pocket. And a transparent orange Color. But now...who knows if what I'm buying on eBay is legit? I now have to go through the embarrassment of legit-checking online, and always wondering.

Limited edition is no longer limited. We are living in a post-modern world of game consoles and I hate it.

Abolish limited edition case replacements. Standard colors only. Sign my petition.

Nevar! It's been 20+ years, man - if you wanted LE versions, maybe get them a little sooner.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The LE replacement shells are pretty shitty and the companies that make the good shells generally don’t make them in Nintendo’s original colors, except the original gray. It’s not really a problem, you just have to pay attention like anything else.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
They aren't make replica boxes so you'll have to pay for a boxed GB I guess.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I always thought limited editions are forced ‘FOMO’ so they can suck a dick anyway

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Hear me out.

It's all retarded collecting now, youtube has turned people into collectard autistic spectrum cunts. All of the well known youtube gamers really know fucking dick about it. But have a bunch or retarded fucking mongs following them.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
The post-modern world of consoles as you call it definitely has its drawbacks when it comes to finding original un-fucked-with systems. Apparently, the tons and tons of repair and modding vids on YouTube have an effect on people, every console or micro computer these days seems to get mod'ed in one way or another but sadly only a few of those people know what they're doing. I've seen some repair/mod jobs recently that really made me laugh and cry at the same time.

On the other hand, the new times give you options way beyond what we thought would be possible only a few years ago. You can get replica custom chips for many consoles and micros now that were almost unobtainable before, there are replacement shells (yeah, I know...), new keymats, all sorts of clever SD cart solutions, replacement cables for almost any system under the sun, new PSUs, etc., etc. This makes finding a truly original system more difficult but will come in handy once the system needs to be repaired. Every light has its shadow, eh.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
I hear ya, Fake - at the same time, the longer we move away from the 80's and 90's, the harder it will become to find many vintage video game consoles and the like that are truly authentic in the open market, to Tak's point. Whether that's due to customization or just due to repairing these old pieces of tech to fix or replace components that stopped working...

It's that old analogy - If you have a 1955 Porsche 356 (or whatever your flavor), but parts have failed over time and you've needed to replace them with aftermarket pieces that are not entirely authentic - do you still have a Porsche 356?

If you're looking to collect limited edition stuff, you'll more than likely need to source an unopened or complete copy - many of which have been snatched up already by preservationists (Video Game history Foundation, et al) and the ultra rich...for better or worse.

For us general consumers and "collectors" who didn't make big on this stuff back in the day, we're scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point and still paying big bucks or worrying about authenticity. That's a big reason I finally said, "fuck it, I'm out." a couple months back. Vintage gaming is a racket.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I mean…. If you can’t tell the difference who cares?
In general, re-releases and repros have kind of polluted the market. Even if it's easy to tell the difference, it's just more stuff to comb through to find the original thing you're looking for.

I'm sure it benefits a lot more people than the people who care like me, but it's the same problem I have with the mini consoles and Arcade1up cabs: It's obviously not the original, but when I'm looking through my social media feed or sales listings, it's just more visual noise to sort out. The stuff looks like the real thing at first glance.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I hear ya, Fake - at the same time, the longer we move away from the 80's and 90's, the harder it will become to find many vintage video game consoles and the like that are truly authentic in the open market, to Tak's point. Whether that's due to customization or just due to repairing these old pieces of tech to fix or replace components that stopped working...

It's that old analogy - If you have a 1955 Porsche 356 (or whatever your flavor), but parts have failed over time and you've needed to replace them with aftermarket pieces that are not entirely authentic - do you still have a Porsche 356?

If you're looking to collect limited edition stuff, you'll more than likely need to source an unopened or complete copy - many of which have been snatched up already by preservationists (Video Game history Foundation, et al) and the ultra rich...for better or worse.

For us general consumers and "collectors" who didn't make big on this stuff back in the day, we're scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point and still paying big bucks or worrying about authenticity. That's a big reason I finally said, "fuck it, I'm out." a couple months back. Vintage gaming is a racket.
My issue with Gameboy collecting is that, like every other retro system, people are now starting to collect it, too. It's no longer being ignored. As a result, games like Heiankyo Alien and Super Mario Land are no longer $20 CIB: They are both $100+ each.

As far as authenticity, I rarely have issues with fakes. Not so if you search games like Sapphire for PCE. Look on eBay and tell me which are authentic. I've owned the game twice and couldn't tell you. Not the same system but, I digress.

What drives me nuts is whenever I see a game I want at a convention, the price is at top eBay, (Which is fine, if condition is excellent) and I go to look at it, and it's damaged. I have told vendors and store owners to their face what they're trying to sell is hundreds of dollars overpriced, based on condition.

As far as scraping the barrel, for Gameboy, that hasn't happened yet. I am seeing stuff at shows and stores now that I've not seen before. The cream is rising to the top and prices have brought a lot of the good stuff to finally be available. Do you have $1200-1500 to spend on Mega Man V or, $3000 to blow on Sumo Fighter is the question.

Jon

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
What drives me nuts is whenever I see a game I want at a convention, the price is at top eBay, (Which is fine, if condition is excellent) and I go to look at it, and it's damaged. I have told vendors and store owners to their face what they're trying to sell is hundreds of dollars overpriced, based on condition.

I did that as well but it has zero effect. These people know that a sucker is born every minute, one day someone will come who pays that much and that's that.

It's a pity some people have more money than brains.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
My issue with Gameboy collecting is that, like every other retro system, people are now starting to collect it, too. It's no longer being ignored. As a result, games like Heiankyo Alien and Super Mario Land are no longer $20 CIB: They are both $100+ each.

As far as authenticity, I rarely have issues with fakes. Not so if you search games like Sapphire for PCE. Look on eBay and tell me which are authentic. I've owned the game twice and couldn't tell you. Not the same system but, I digress.

As far as scraping the barrel, for Gameboy, that hasn't happened yet. I am seeing stuff at shows and stores now that I've not seen before. The cream is rising to the top and prices have brought a lot of the good stuff to finally be available. Do you have $1200-1500 to spend on Mega Man V or, $3000 to blow on Sumo Fighter is the question.

Jon
Good overview of the Gameboy part of the scene - Thanks for the insight. I traditionally haven't paid much mind to handheld stuff and only have a hand full of handhelds (haha).

I knew the US Mega Man games were bonkers expensive, but Mario Land for over $100! JEEBUS! lol

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
This thread is why I ultimately settled for a bootleg "gb boy colour" when I started using LSDJ. The cost of a normal back-lit model is dumb AF now.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Good overview of the Gameboy part of the scene - Thanks for the insight. I traditionally haven't paid much mind to handheld stuff and only have a hand full of handhelds (haha).

I knew the US Mega Man games were bonkers expensive, but Mario Land for over $100! JEEBUS! lol
You think that's bad, look up the 1st print green screen version on eBay. Or, just check the text I sent you. They made these for the initial launch GB games so, Baseball, Golf, Alleyway, Tennis, and Super Mario Land (which is the most expensive).

Not recommending anyone gets into box variants for Gameboy. That's a rabbit hole you definitely don't want to go down.

Jon

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
It's only a $20 game. If someone insists on only buying overpriced cardboard on systems where most people threw them away, it's on them.
If someone wants to pay $20 for a loose cart (Which is insane! Millions of copies of that game were made), the ROM is exactly the same for every region. Buy the Japanese version for 50-100 yen, problem solved.

Jon