Southeastern VA gathering

cyberfluxor

Another Striker
I was reading this thread awhile back and it looks as though things are jammed up again. I've been meaning to hit some gaming gatherings in the area but it appears these things rarely happen in Hampton Roads, unless they are so under the radar. The most activity I've seen are indy shops hosting competitions on consoles but I'm not into the hobby to compete for gift certificates and whatnot.

Anyhow, I'd like to see if there's some way to get a spot at a library or someplace cheap to host mini game events as a way to create a gathering for the local gamers. I personally don't have anything in the way of MVS carts but do have 5 JAMMA and 40+ PCBs, no cab or monitors yet but plenty of buttons and sticks. I just know there is a ton of retro, classic and new-age gamers in the area otherwise we wouldn't have so many independent and chain game stores around here, and it appears as though it continues to thrive as some locations expand.

Either way, let me know if/when you guys plan to do something.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I'd like to try for another gathering in september. I'll PM you when I get a new thread posted. I'd like to get at least 10 people together and have some kinda tournament going on.

Anyway, had a good long trip to Northern VA. Well actually, about 3 hours to get there but a little over 6 hours to get back. I-95 & 64 were parking lots :very_ang:
I was pissed that I didn't take the highway back instead. Anyway, there are now 3 neo cabs in the gameroom and 1 jamma cab with 4 buttons in need of a monitor repair. Hopefully the jamma cab will be operational for the next get together.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
I have noticed that there are is quite an interested in teh genre here around this area. Even though i've seen a good amount go for SF3, i know there's a good comp. for Marvel and have heard of CVS2.

About the indie shops, topher's taken me to 2, are there more around?

for right now, it is really up to topher to get a date going for another gathering.

and i really hope we get more people in the future.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Actually I was thinking about doing something Sepember 15. That's one day pre - birthday so I think a battle royale maybe in order that evening. I just got to clear it with the wife first as she might already have something planned out.

Last edited:

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
And a bump diddely ump...

I know we have a good # of members here locally as a lot of you guys have PM'd me about local stores and arcade ops. Well, it's time to for you all to step up and represent. Lets get some tournaments together or a monthly (or bimonthly) casuals session going on.

cyberfluxor said:
Here's a place I posted a few of the local stores:
http://www.stopgamestop.com/alternatives/view.php?state=VA

There are a few more places around VA Beach and Norfolk but I wouldn't doubt more exist on the Peninsula.

Good info, thanks!

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
just got back from my vacation at Virginia Beach, hope you're not offended I didn't call you up or anything toph but I wanted to stay away from video games on my vacation :)

that said, there's an awesome arcade called Flipper McCoys near the beach, where all those hotels are. I hadn't had that much fun at an arcade since I was a wee lad in the 90s; it had Shinobi, Simpsons, Aero Fighters, a Neo 4-slot w/Super Spy, Puzzle Bobble, Cyber Lip and Sam Sho 2, Tron, Sunset Riders, Cap America and the Avengers, and for the first time I saw a Super Mario Bros Playchoice (!), with a few Capcom fighters sprinkled in like X-Men VS SF, SFII Hyper Fighting, and Marvel VS Capcom 2 -- just for a few notables. this place was HUGE.
it was so great/nostalgic seeing so many of the older cabs that I thought I'd never see again, I must have spent over 10 dollars and been there until a little after midnight, very cherished experience for me.

anyways that's my story and I love virginia beach.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
wow, very nice link, ill see if i can check them out whenever i fix my car. i've been to coolstuff and replays, and another one in Chesapeake near the naval base, which wasn't really that indie, as it wanted to be more of a gamestop wanna be, and the prices were way too high.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Nah, not offended LoneSage, I was down in Fl earlier on vacation and didn't get to get up with some members there that I conacted, way it works sometimes...When I posted my last post I had been up for 24+ hours and was feeling a little bitchy. I just finished up mid shift and was trying to readapt to a normal wake / sleep cycle. If I came across harsh to anybody, apologies are extended.

I would just like to see the local scene grow a little. I know there are people here locally that own these (neo) games and therefore know how to play them properly and can offer some decent competition. I would just like to see that evolve some.

Flippers is cool, I hang out there alot. There are actually 2 locations but the beach front one is the better of the two.

LoneSage said:
just got back from my vacation at Virginia Beach, hope you're not offended I didn't call you up or anything toph but I wanted to stay away from video games on my vacation :)

that said, there's an awesome arcade called Flipper McCoys near the beach, where all those hotels are. I hadn't had that much fun at an arcade since I was a wee lad in the 90s; it had Shinobi, Simpsons, Aero Fighters, a Neo 4-slot w/Super Spy, Puzzle Bobble, Cyber Lip and Sam Sho 2, Tron, Sunset Riders, Cap America and the Avengers, and for the first time I saw a Super Mario Bros Playchoice (!), with a few Capcom fighters sprinkled in like X-Men VS SF, SFII Hyper Fighting, and Marvel VS Capcom 2 -- just for a few notables. this place was HUGE.
it was so great/nostalgic seeing so many of the older cabs that I thought I'd never see again, I must have spent over 10 dollars and been there until a little after midnight, very cherished experience for me.

anyways that's my story and I love virginia beach.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Hey guys, Cyberfluxor was telling me they were having a SF2 comp at replays on sunday. I know the guy that run the store, so I am going to talk to him about a KOF 98 / MOTW comp. I got 2 gold cabs that are fairly easy to move around (Jeff, I'll probably need some help) that I could take up to the store.

cyberfluxor

Another Striker
Ends up he had SFA3 and the competition ended around 10:30 PM! The next competition is Sept. 23rd I believe.

LoneSage:
I go to flippers almost every Sunday. It's the happening place.
Flipper McCoy's Website
Virginia Arcade Listings

Although a lot of those arcade listings are outdated sometimes they still exist, sometimes not. I generally keep my eyes open to side-road arcades that pop up. There are a few on the Outer Banks.

Hey, whats up. I'm from the SOVA area and play pretty much everything. If anyone wants to get together for gatherings I'm always available, jus PM me. Also I will be posting about the upcoming tourneys in North Carolina on 9/15 and Northern Virginia on 9/22.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
TornadoFlame said:
Hey, whats up. I'm from the SOVA area and play pretty much everything. If anyone wants to get together for gatherings I'm always available, jus PM me. Also I will be posting about the upcoming tourneys in North Carolina on 9/15 and Northern Virginia on 9/22.

that's some pretty good shit,

keep us posted with more details man!!!

cyberfluxor

Another Striker
topher:
Are we still good to go for this Saturday?

I spoke with Dave the other day and is interested if it were possible to bring an arcade to his place for a competition and whatnot. He also said an invester is opening a few locations as a local chain of game stores to compete with GameStop, except they actually accept older games. ;)

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
This saturday should be cool still as long as nothing pops up (with family life you can never be sure). Thanks for talking to Dave, I was planning on getting up to RePlays, but have been busy as hell with work. Wednesday is my last work day for this week, so I am going to try buzz by there Thursday so we can work everything out but if you happen to swing by there before then give him my cell # so I can touch base with him. I would love to see some SNK fighting competition up in there. I would like to get one of my gold cabs up there for sure, but would deffinitely need some physical help moving it. I'll post more later, I have to put my kids to bed -- school starts tomorrow for them!

Last edited:

cyberfluxor

Another Striker
Cool beans.

I might go by his place tomorrow before work, not too sure. I have a lot going on this week between work, school and other things but I certainly won't let if affect my Saturday/Sunday.

Oh, and I've spoken to some others around here interested into a local gaming organization/club setting. I'll need to figure out where's the best library to setup a gathering and begin asking local game stores to spread the word of it. I could actually use a little help from others comming up with a name and website to put things together.

Last edited:
Please keep me posted. I'm always in for boosting the scene in anyway I can. If you all don't mind, what are your most played games. Here in this part of SOVA there are about 25 serious gamers and about 15 of us play multiple games. In my case though, I play all games period and don't mind teaching to help the scene.

cyberfluxor

Another Striker
TornadoFlame said:
Please keep me posted. I'm always in for boosting the scene in anyway I can. If you all don't mind, what are your most played games. Here in this part of SOVA there are about 25 serious gamers and about 15 of us play multiple games. In my case though, I play all games period and don't mind teaching to help the scene.
Well, I was at topher's place two weeks ago and I've never been apart of an actual gathering before but it should be fun and I'm looking forward to it. He's located in Virginia Beach so if that's not too far away check up with him because it's his place and I believe there's enough room for about 10 people or so.

As for the game selection, he has a large list up a bit farther in the thread and it's a good amount to choose from. We fumbled through a few last time and it was fun so you won't be let down. I personally only own some PCBs and JAMMA boards and he doesn't have the JAMMA cab up right now but that's something to keep in mind. Once I finally build a cab (doubt I'll find a complete original cab) I'll make sure it's portable so it can be brought around every now and then.

Anyhow, let Chris know if you or a few people from Petersburg are looking to come out to Hampton Roads on Saturday! Worst case we can all drive up to one of the local arcades for more room. :drool:

Saturday I'll be at the Tilt over here for a while. Sunday I've organized a gathering at my house for practice for the NC Tourney on 9/15. If anyone wants to come over they are more than welcome. Its all console though. I'll list the games that I play below though.
SF3TS
VF5
MVC2
CVS2
KOFXI
NGBC
T5DR
HNK
KOF98
KOF2k2
GGAC
SC3
SC2
SSTenka
PIMatrimelee
SuperTurbo
SFA2

cyberfluxor

Another Striker
Where or what is this Tilt? Also, where does the NC tourney take place? I live on the VA/NC boarder in Chesapeake so if it's not that great a distance I might spin out there.

As for a general gathering of gamers I'm going to begin asking around and seeing what people are looking for in a local event and where's the best place. I'm told the Chesapeake General Library is free and one of the best places to host a gathering of 20-500+ people so that'd be interesting.

Also, I heard from someone at Dave's store that Comic Con may start a mini-con event here in Norfolk, which apparently they did years ago but stopped. I'll have to look into that and see what's up with it.

cyberfluxor said:
Where or what is this Tilt? Also, where does the NC tourney take place? I live on the VA/NC boarder in Chesapeake so if it's not that great a distance I might spin out there.

As for a general gathering of gamers I'm going to begin asking around and seeing what people are looking for in a local event and where's the best place. I'm told the Chesapeake General Library is free and one of the best places to host a gathering of 20-500+ people so that'd be interesting.

Also, I heard from someone at Dave's store that Comic Con may start a mini-con event here in Norfolk, which apparently they did years ago but stopped. I'll have to look into that and see what's up with it.

Address for the NC tourney.
Lucky's Card Shop
3929 High Point Rd.
Greensboro, NC, 27407
336-834-4644

Thread for NC tourney.
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=136585

We are goind down there with 5 peeps in my car and the following week we are going to C3 in Northern VA. Great comp at both. Justin Wong, says he's coming to both so it should be pretty hype.

cyberfluxor said:

Address for the NC tourney.
Lucky's Card Shop
3929 High Point Rd.
Greensboro, NC, 27407
336-834-4644

Thread for NC tourney.
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=136585

Tilt's the Arcade in Southpark Mall in Colonial Heights, VA. We usually go and play Marvel, GGXX, CVS1, and Tekken 5 with our boy Kevin who works there. The gamers here are pretty close knit now. We usually hang together anyway because they are such great peeps. We're also pretty humble now when it comes to competing and its jus become an overall fun experience the past year. We've also became close to alot of people in the fighting game community thru tourneys locally and across the East Coast. Now its to the point where I think about placing 2nd and metting others first now. Jus great peeps in general. If anyone wants to head down to NC next Saturday feel free to call me at 804-721-8666 and we can plan to meet there or on the way or something.

We are goind down there to NC with 5 peeps in my car and the following week we are going to C3 in Northern VA. Great comp at both. Justin Wong, says he's coming to both so it should be pretty hype.

I remember the old Comic Con too. LOL, pretty fun, over by Military Mall.

Last edited:

cyberfluxor

Another Striker
Sorry bro, Greensboro is a bit far for me right now. Maybe another time when I'm more prepared. Hope sharing that info spreads to a few other people and more show up though!

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
If anyone wants to get together at my place today (Sunday 9/23/07), let me know. I'll be around with plenty of beer. Jeff Bogard will probably swing by. Got some Magical Drop3 now also. This is my friday at work, 3 days off after 7 straight days of work, so I'm ready to party.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
ill call you later, i hvae to pick up some things. Ill give you a call once i get that shit settled.''

if you called my old cell, and didn't get an answer, that's kinda obvious. but ill call you on my new one...

can't remember MD3, but oh well...