Sound Problem with MVS Cart

BigDeadFreak

Rugal's Thug
This is probably a really basic question but I'm having a problem with a KoF '98 MVS cartridge.

When I bought it all the music played perfectly but recently certain tracks aren't playing properly. They sound 'broken' and muffled in parts as if something's not connected properly.

I've tried cleaning the connectors and inserting into different slot of the motherboard (it's a six slot) but nothign seems to work. All my other games are fine.

It's an original cart and not a boot.

I'm no electrician so anything remotely complicated is beyond me but any suggestions on how to rectify it would be greatly apprciated.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Is it the exact same tracks that are producing problems, or is it random?

If the contacts are spotless, also clean the cartridge slots. I use a microfiber cloth with a bit of 91% alochol on it and push it into the slots with a credit card. If you have bad credit, do it with a debit card. :)

You may also try to clean the boards (apart from the contacts). I have a Viewpoint cart that was giving me all sorts of graphical glitches and when I thoroughly cleaned the boards (they were a bit sticky), the problem went away.

BigDeadFreak

Rugal's Thug
Hi, thanks for the reply.

It's always the same tracks every time and it's always the intros of the music.

I'll try cleaning the slots, it's all pretty dusty to be fair. The cart is pretty clean though.

Thanks again. :)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
There's also the possibility that the Altera Max chip on the PROG board is dying as it controls the output enable for the V roms (Sound roms).

BigDeadFreak

Rugal's Thug
There's also the possibility that the Altera Max chip on the PROG board is dying as it controls the output enable for the V roms (Sound roms).

Ah, so I take it the blowing on it wouldn't help then ;)

If this is true, am I right in guessing that the game might have 'died'?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's quite possible as the Altera chips inside the Metal Slug X carts die and kill the cart. In this one it just needs to be confirmed.