Soul Calibur V

Reality Check

World Hero
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-11-first-soulcalibur-v-details

Namco Bandai has lifted the lid on Soulcalibur V at its press event in Dubai this morning.

The game, set 17 years after Soulcalibur IV, features guest characters, Project Soul producer Hisaharu Tago told Christian Donlan for Eurogamer.

The main character is Patroklos, son of Sophitia. Patroklos is "inspired" by the gameplay of Sophitia, but is "sharper" and "more agile". He has new moves, but they're all inspired by Sophitia's.

V takes the Siegried ending of IV and builds upon it. Seigfried, now 39 years old, no longer wields the Soul Calibur sword.

V is described as a "generational shift", complete with new characters, but SCIV characters will return. "SC 1-4 was a continuous story," Tago said. "We want to make a generational shift with a new story this time."

The Soulcalibur series is famous for the inclusion of characters from other universes, such as Link from The Legend of Zelda and Yoda from Star Wars. Will other non-Soulcalibur characters feature?

"Difficult question," Tago said. "We will have guest characters as we did with Star Wars. Please stay tuned for more information on that."

V marks a shift from two-handed swords to short swords, Tago announced. The story includes "the enigma as to why the swords have become short swords".

The game's new fighting style is described as "lighter, sharper, and more elegant". The online mode has been improved with new features. "Gameplay in IV could be a little heavy, particularly when you were online – we wanted gameplay that was more fast and reactive," Tago said.

On the shift in gameplay: "Maybe the hardcore fans will be afraid that we lose the core of the gameplay, but that's not the case. And for new players it's nice to have gameplay that is more continuous – you don't need to wait as much between moves.

"There is quite some change in the gameplay from SCIV. The pace of the game has been improved, and the combos will be easier to perform, and the moves will be easier to pull out."

Elsewhere, Tago confirmed the create a character feature from previous games in the series returns, but refused to divulge details.

Namco Bandai is yet to show actual gameplay, but promised more information at E3 next month.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I like the general concept of this.

Soul Calibur isn't my favorite fighting game series gameplay wise but I absolutely love the storyline and the characters. Maybe the only fighting game series where I still consider it interesting and worthy. Probably because the strong fantasy elements give the 'anything goes' approach more weight.

One thing I've always appreciated about the series is that the main character, in a narrative sense, changes from game to game. I feel this is fair to the fans of the different characters and makes a lot of sense. Siegfreid seemed like the natural main character of the storyline, to be honest. The series seemed to gravitate around him and Soul Edge, anyway. I thought it was pretty daring for Namco to give him the spotlight in two different games.

I also like how the characters are grouped into subcategories storyline-wise, and those all combine to make a more interesting grand tapestry.

And I really like Yoshimitsu being in the game-having the character be an ongoing tradition that's survived hundreds of years is pretty interesting. Wonder if they'll ever bring more Tekken ancestors into the mix?

I really hope they don't change the sword physics too much. From what they're saying, the game might become a lot more masher friendly and I kind of like that in SC, you at least have to know the timing and the button sequences.

I have to play IV again. I thought Siegfreid died at the end of IV. At any rate, I'm ready for this. The only good thing about SS: Warrior's Rage for PSX was the characters and the story. I love the idea that SC seems to be willing to take that chance, too.

EDIT: Oh, and they need to bring back the quest mode from SC and SC II. Hours upon hours of fun.

Last edited:

Reality Check

World Hero
I never got into the story but I do like most of the characters. I wonder what the returning characters stories would be after 17 years. You'll think they would have stopped going after Soul Edge after all that time.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I'm not surprised that people would still want it. If you think of it, those guys and girls all have their own reasons for still wanting it. Either to destroy it or to use it. They're lifelong duelists. They exist to fight, and if something will give them the avantage and they've never had a taste of it, they might still pursue it. Some might see how others failed with it and think 'Oh, I could do better.' Others might say 'I gotta stop 'character X' before he ruins his/her life by using Soul Edge.'

The soul still burns.

But really, it's just because there is still some blood left for Namco to squeeze out of this stone:)

As for the 'story', it's really a bunch of smaller stories, now that I think of it. There really is no big arc. There's Soul Edge. It's powerful and evil. There's Soul Calibur. It's powerful and good. Somebody's gonna get beat down. The story comes from the ambitions of the characters, more than anything else.

So yeah...really, if you like the characters, you ARE into the story:)

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Into Voldo but not BDSM.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I was thinking about getting IV when it dropped in price then I watched the EVO Stream where that bitch with the short sword and giant lance just kept everybody and bay and the other people couldn't even get a hit on her. Hopefully they'll take her out of the game as well as the other stupid characters that just break the game if you're trying to have a fair fight. I've always used the Chinese Sword characters, so I just hope they'll have a character that fights like Hwang/Xianghua.

Curt

apostate
So is this Soul Edge 6? Soul Calibur is one funny series... It stopped mattering to me after the Dreamcast. But it has my respect.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Huge fan of the series since the Dreamcast game. Played so much of SC2 as well, probably more than any game last gen. And as long as they find a way to keep Ivy hot & non-saggy, I'm ok with the time jump. Paging Dr. Boskonovitch!

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
I hope they dont turn SCV into a jugglefest like Tekken ... that would so ruin the series.

And "NO" we dont want easier gameplay ... no more button mushing, thank you!

Parts they should impove that SC IV lacked are

1) More stages
2) Edge Master Mode
3) Balancing the game : Hilde is totally broken ... she is banned from tourneys LOL

Graphical wise I like the way SCIV looks ... a bit more animation in the background is welcomed though :)

Whatever the case, one thing is sure : The music is gonna be Epic as always!

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
IDK if I should be excited or not. I'd rather have Tekken Tag 2.

Speaking of, I hope Tekken Tag 2 hits consoles next year, or I will be irked.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Dear Namco: give me an awesome version of Astaroth like this:

....Or just take your whole game and shove it up your ass.

If I'm gonna be mashing buttons like a retard, at least let me feel like a badass while I'm doing it. :cool:

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast was, and is, still one of the more amazing moments ever had on a console.
I remember just sitting there, stunned at what I was seeing and hearing. Most amazing port/upgrade/leap forward ever.

ObeyMyEgo

Kula's Candy
Yeah, when dreamcast first came out and they released soul calibur, we ended up going to our local gameco and playing the demo unit for about 2 hours a day, made really good friends with the workers and owners there. Good times. Beat paying for it at the arcades lol.

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
Astaroth, Kilik and Ivy where my fave's. In this series I pick characters with range over the "fask, pokey" type.

I know I'm speculating here, but Sophitia's son lacks manliness (assuming that's him at the end of the trailer).

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
I haven't really been into Soul Calibur since the Dreamcast version and SCII on GC (Link FTW). The generation move and weapons changes seem pretty cool though. I'm anxious to try it out.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
"There is quite some change in the gameplay from SCIV. The pace of the game has been improved, and the combos will be easier to perform, and the moves will be easier to pull out."

You gotta be fucking kidding me. The whole Soul Calibur series is easy mode as it is. It has the easiest execution out of every 3d game out there but they want to make it easier. The hardcore series all turned more n00b friendly with crutches and what not and with this game always catering to the casual market I figured that it was gonna be extra easy and I was right.

I'll pass.

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
You gotta be fucking kidding me. The whole Soul Calibur series is easy mode as it is. It has the easiest execution out of every 3d game out there but they want to make it easier. The hardcore series all turned more n00b friendly with crutches and what not and with this game always catering to the casual market I figured that it was gonna be extra easy and I was right.

I'll pass.

Soul Calibur just got Killer Instinct'd.

ULLLLLLTRA COOOOOMBOOOOO!!!

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,

I'll pass.

Thats what I'm saying in other words. Lets hope we are both wrong and its not so shit after all. Although I really doubt it ...

And yes, that Greek protagonist lacks manliness. But what did you expect? This game will be so gay that he will fit in just fine!

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast was, and is, still one of the more amazing moments ever had on a console.
I remember just sitting there, stunned at what I was seeing and hearing. Most amazing port/upgrade/leap forward ever.

I had the same experience. Oddly enough, I haven't played a SC game since that one.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Add me to the list of people that were blown away by the DC port of Soul Calibur.

I went to my friend's house to check out the import version about six weeks before the console or any of the games hit US shelves. I was absolutely blown away by how amazing the game was. I was on the fence about the console until I saw that game. Then I knew I had to own it.

I'm amazed that Soul Calibur, a LAUNCH TITLE, is still one of the absolute best games the Dreamcast ever saw. How often does a launch title stay at the top of the heap? It's pretty uncommon.

This takes me back to launch day. Standing in line at Babbages (LOL) with a bunch of other people waiting to pick up my preorders. I remember they didn't have VMUs or second controllers, and they didn't even have all the launch titles, at the store. The DC launch was so splintered and fucked up. Some stores had some things, other stores had other things. I had to wait for Babbages to get their VMU shipment, which came the next day, before I could even save my progress. Annoying, when you consider all the awesome unlockables SC had. At least I only had to wait a day.

I went to some other stores that morning and scored another controller and Blue Stinger. God, what an utter pile of crap that game was.

But anyway, yeah...SC for DC is great. The ONLY thing I don't like about it is how noisy and clicky the DC is when I play it. I'm glad they released it on XBLA, but i's still lacking the quest mode, custom attract mode and the polygon endings. Unless they're in there and I somehow missed them...

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
i'll join that list with you taiso. i remember a friend of mine picked up a DC on launch. i think i was 13, he was 15 as he'd been held back a year in school and was an older kid in his class all the same. but jose invited me over to his house and we sat down to check out this new system. i'd talked a lot of crap about it as i was a rabid nintendo fanboy but once i saw what the DC could do i was blown away. characters moved with such fluid motions, the weapons, locations, and people looked almost real to me. and the characters were able to move their mouths when they talked. more than i could say for anything on the 64 at the time. i was blown away by the game and we played soul calibur for something like two days straight. i spent the weekend at his house that week and we were addicted. coming over every day after school, and trying to get better and better with mitsurugi.

it was quite a while til i got a dreamcast of my own. and by then i was more into capcom vs SNK and the KOF ports on it. but i did get SC, and SC2, never went for 3 or 4 as they seemed almost a foreign concept to me and i felt the series plateaued at 2. my friends and i spent hours with it on the gamecube. again i played the hell out of mitsurugi. wasn't bothered with anyone else, it was an enjoyable game, loads of unlockables, solid title really. maybe it 3 or 4 are cheap enough now i might give em a go to see what i missed.