SOTM December 2023: Gun Frontier - Raffles 'n Shit Edition

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
IMG_4301.jpeg

wataru330 - Round 2 - 50,140 - Sega Saturn

More than doubled my 1st attempt-got dat raffle entry, yo!

Still getting served by this game…the tetherball flame tanks, the random ‘arcing’ explosions, the SkyShark tanks juxtaposed w/ Wild West shaped gunships, the yagawaness of it…straight liver and onions.

The intro is the best part of this game.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I’ve died stupider deaths than joes I-VII in this rootin tootin game!

Mother fuck these stage 2 blue ships!!

I’m soooooo uncomfortable right now. I hope a raffle prize is a handgun so I can shoot my thumbs off.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
The 1CC is so daunting

1703733855430.png

Gremlin - 163,600 - 4 - MAME

Long-ass goober post below:

I've played this a couple times before and while I liked what I saw, I never really got into it - the painfully slow speed, the weird, massively delayed bomb (that you can steer?!), the bullet visibility and the difficulty (which until now I didn't understand at all) made me always shrug my shoulders. Metal Black is my favourite shootie ever, and that game feels almost like a deliberate response to it's spiritual prequel, "correcting" those flaws (although they've grown on me somewhat, and make Gun Frontier a more interesting scoring game). SOTM always forces me to sit down and take notes, and this game for better or worse needs you to take notes and play how it wants to be played to make any progress in it, and after hittin' the books I'm also goobin' hard over it. It's just such a cool game with a unique, cohesive setting and exudes/reeks a thick air of confidence in its stage design with incredible set pieces and interesting, certainly deliberate artistic choices.

The specific moment I fell in love was Stage 4 - after first passing over a grassy wheat field that transitions to a completely monochromatic, dusty and desolate town and after a desert littered with mechanical carcasses, the boss emerges from a (unnatural?) tornado. Unlike every other boss, there is absolutely no music playing during this encounter, only the ambience of the desert winds and the sounds of the enemy's attacks - all flamethrowers. Once defeated, instead of a giant screen-covering explosion like every other boss in the game, the winds quietly begin to tear the surface of the aircraft away until it's frame is exposed, and then it silently falls down to the desert below as its color fades away.

This all felt so calculated, and it's message finally clicked when I saw the intro again - when the story of the planet "Gloria" begins in the intro, the color transitions sepia-tone, which the entirety of Stage 4 is also sepia apart from the player and enemies. The intro then describes the "Wild Lizards" attacking their settlement, killing and enslaving the inhabitants as the image of a girl is slowly engulfed in flames as someone begs for a saviour to come. To spell it out for ya: this intro appears to clearly be referencing the setting of Stage 4 and the flames pointing a big fat finger at the boss of Stage 4, and as we fly over the level we see nothing but desertion and destruction, with no signs of life except you and the folks trying to gun you down. It could be that this was your home, an important settlement or maybe loved ones lived here, but regardless they were all gone, and you were too late. And then, the boss appears that turned the town and surrounding grassy plains into an ashy shithole, ruining the area forever. No tense, dramatic action music plays, because they've already won this particular battle. Destroying them, similairly uncelebrated - it changes nothing. All it accomplishes is making it lie in the bed it created. As the winds pull it apart it drifts down as a literal skeleton, joining the numerous "carcasses" we saw in the desert previously. Ashes to ashes etc.

1703737132331.png1703737155841.png1703737162367.png

That's why I now love it. Metal Black also puts the same thoughtfulness in it's structure, and that's why I also love it. Dino Rex also hilariously has the same je ne sais quoi but the game stinks. Takatsuna Senba really did put his whole narrative pussy into these games. Hope he's doing something he enjoys cause it sounds like game dev treated him like shit.

1703737118795.png

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
JoeAwesome - 155730 - 3 - SS

Attachments

• IMG_5012.jpeg
    IMG_5012.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
This thread is amazing. You crazy sons a bitches are doing it, you're actually honest to God playing Gun Frontier. I swore I'd never play again after failing to shoot the last boss in the quick draw.

Gremlin's post was a Christmas present, mao bless

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Sheesh Gremlin… You crystallized the game perfectly, feels like.

Also, YGW wasn’t involved with this game in any way. :D

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Dang, was hoping I'd hang onto my spot - haven't played in a bit and it feels like starting over. Really enjoyed this one though.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Sheesh Gremlin… You crystallized the game perfectly, feels like.

Also, YGW wasn’t involved with this game in any way. :D

I can’t buy that. Am I the only one seeing ra⚡️s⚡️ng in this game? He’s gotta be an uncredited ghost writer of code; like The D.O.C. or MF GRIMM on your favorite Death Row Records jam.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Shroom, you 2-bit baby bitch. ‘Nuff koala reacts, but you post no scores. Stoked I live rent free in that palacial empty space in your head. 😂

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I haven't touched this game in over a week due to holidays and family over. Hoping to try one last time tomorrow to beat my own score

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
wataru330- Round 3 - 142,940 - Sega Saturn

IMG_4421.jpeg

It’s starting to click for me now! Game is more like Steak Em’s & onions, rather than liver and onions. ^_^

Died a *bunch* on Round 2’s attack of the Blues; however, thanks to the ‘bomb for points’ tip, mined enough lives to see my way to the beginning of Round 3.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
wataru330 - Round 4 - 203,210 - Sega Saturn

IMG_4422.jpeg

¡THIS GAME FUCKING RULES!

Keys to my improvement?

-Mine lives w/ bomb trick on Round 2
-point blank top screen enemies ala Ketsui, once your main shot is maxxed
-don’t forget that you are a slow-ass Raiden-type ship…that is to say, what’s already been said: don’t chase every enemy down.
-*do* chase down every gold bar from dispatched enemies. Rebuilding bomb is key
-GET THE COINS. Fully powered up main shot, wrecks shop.

***this score is w/ bomb spam. If I can save some bombs, and get some end of level bonuh-that would be great.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Two musings about developing Gun Frontier, one from 1990 and the lengthier one from 2006, from Takatsuna Senba, who is credited as The Author in the credits of Gun Frontier. Pretty interesting read and anecdotes about the development of the game.

And here's a long interview with him in 2001 that talks about his career, and talks about Gun Frontier a little bit:

The most interesting part being why Gun Frontier is also called Gun & Frontier:

"—Then it had no relationship to Leiji Matsumoto's Gun Frontier...?

Senba: Officially, the game is called "Gun and Frontier" overseas. At first we tried to copyright the title "Frontier" by itself, but we were blocked by Brother, who makes the Frontier sewing machine. (laughs) "Well, let's put something in front then…" and that's how it became Gun Frontier. Manga trademarks are handled in a different division, so it didn't attract anyone's attention, and you can't do anything after it's been registered.”

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I'm giving it all she's got captain! Bombing those ships on lvl 2 help, but dat rank tho?!?! Fffuuuuuuuuu!

PXJ - ROUND 3 - 153,240 (Arcade, emulation Egret 2 Mini, default settings)

IMG_20231229_213729.jpg

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Such good reads! The ‘1990’ bit was very short though.
I wanna know the ‘secrets’ he is referring to.
gamefaqs is zero help 😭

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Did some more digging/reading- the Saturn port doesn’t have the arcade revs secrets, re: the person in charge of the port said no one at Taito told him about them. 🥸

I’m just goofing off before landing the clear at this point…trying to bomb different set pieces (like the hive of water towers on Round 1) to trigger events ala the score bonuh for getting Round 2 blue planes bombed all at once.