Sony reduces lifespan estimate of PS3 - The 10-year plan scrapped

AirRaid

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Sony reduces PS3 lifespan estimate
Sean Ridgeley - Thursday, February 26th, 2009 | 9:30AM (PT)

"[We] don’t know whether the PS3 lifespan will be eight, nine or ten years"

Sony reduces PS3 lifespan estimate

Though maintaining even as recently as a month ago the PlayStation 3 would have a ten-year lifespan, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe boss David Reeves has expressed uncertainty on that front in an upcoming interview with Play magazine.

"The competition will have new models on the market by the end of the PS3," he commented. "I have no doubt and we’ll have to be fast on our feet.....I don’t know whether the PS3 lifespan will be eight, nine or ten years."

He noted PlayStation 4 is not as of now "on the horizon".

Sony stated two weeks ago their current console is "inherently future-proof", and would surely outlast the PS2, which is now going eight years strong.

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/9976-sony-reduces-ps3-lifespan-estimate/

Make no mistake, this is only the BEGINNING of Sony's waffling on their stance that PS3 would last ten years.

PS4 will be launched as early as 5 years after PS3, which means PS4 could arrive as soon as 2011, since PS3 launched in 2006. The latest PS4 will arrive will be 2013, which would be 7 years after PS3.

Even if PS3 lives a total of 8, 9 or 10 years, the PS4 will come 5-7 years after PS3 launched, because the next-gen Xbox is due to be released in 2011 or 2012, given that Microsoft wanted 6-7 years for 360's lifespan.

Last edited:

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
OH MY GOD!

FUCK SONY MAN, FUCK'EM

THEY BETRAYED US

Grandmaster

Kula's Candy
i'm still waiting for a price drop and a console re-design like they did with ps2. i wish they'd take out the blu ray player because i dont watch movies. i just want a game system and i would pay for that.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
i'm still waiting for a price drop and a console re-design like they did with ps2. i wish they'd take out the blu ray player because i dont watch movies. i just want a game system and i would pay for that.

It would also make every game on the system unplayable.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member

The blu-ray player is a no brainer since the PS3 games are on blu-ray discs. Also like the ps2 was to DVDs the ps3 is often a primary blu-ray player.
I never owned a dvd player, I had my ps2.

Grandmaster

Kula's Candy
genjiglove said:
It would also make every game on the system unplayable.

OrochiEddie said:
The blu-ray player is a no brainer since the PS3 games are on blu-ray discs. Also like the ps2 was to DVDs the ps3 is often a primary blu-ray player.
I never owned a dvd player, I had my ps2.
oops. shows how much i know about ps3 :lolz:

anyways, it's too expensive and they took out backwards compatibility.

Last edited:

Gamester

Super Sidekicks 2
I though I heard a while back that the PS4 was just going to be a hardware upgrade for the PS3. That was a while back though, maybe that plan is gone now?

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Are you trying to say that Sony intends to release a new system every 5 or six years?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
yeah i need a console price drop. 400 bux is retarded for a ps3...

but honestly, who could afford the R&D and manufacturing to launch a new console right now? Nintendo could maybe pull it off, but it wouldnt be anything special. M$ is playing it safe with Windows 7, so I dont see a reason to launch xbox3. Sony is in a world of hurt, no way they could launch a new successful system. The cell chip is going to making backwards compatibility impossible.

Last edited:

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I'm buying a PS3 as soon as it hits $300. I don't care when PS4 comes out. Hell PS2 is still alive and kicking.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
OMFG PS3 LIE WATCH

UK:R is going to have a field day with this. For that matter, even I get some sort of smug satisfaction from it.

Note: I have a PS3. It's great for playing Flower. That's about it.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
http://www.neoseeker.com/news/9976-sony-reduces-ps3-lifespan-estimate/

Make no mistake, this is only the BEGINNING of Sony's waffling on their stance that PS3 would last ten years.

PS4 will be launched as early as 5 years after PS3, which means PS4 could arrive as soon as 2011, since PS3 launched in 2006. The latest PS4 will arrive will be 2013, which would be 7 years after PS3.

Even if PS3 lives a total of 8, 9 or 10 years, the PS4 will come 5-7 years after PS3 launched, because the next-gen Xbox is due to be released in 2011 or 2012, given that Microsoft wanted 6-7 years for 360's lifespan.

This is the worst non-post of recent times. No one takes that shit seriously, except navel-gazing dullards who have so little to do that they notice whether or not the feet are behind the grass in ancient 16-bit ports.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
it'll be the same as the PS2 surely? new hardware in 6 years maybe, then another 4 or so being the lesser hardware in their lineup.

PS2 was the most played machine last year. so yeah

edit: god, must I always be the voice of reason and sanity

AirRaid

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I though I heard a while back that the PS4 was just going to be a hardware upgrade for the PS3. That was a while back though, maybe that plan is gone now?

You'll just plug your NEO-GEO AES into your PS3, and that'll upgrade it into the PS4.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
You'll just plug your NEO-GEO AES into your PS3, and that'll upgrade it into the PS4.
If it maintained the ability to play AES games, that would make it 1000x the game machine it is now.

*puts on flameproof suit*

SSS

neo retired
well considering 360's have a 10 minute lifespan, I'm not too concerned about sony.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
OH MY GOD!

FUCK SONY MAN, FUCK'EM

THEY BETRAYED US

Now now...such language is unbecoming of someone of your physical stature...

(and by that I mean that chiseled, sun-kissed face of yours...:tickled:)