Sony Play Station Portable

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
I'm curiouse PSP owners, is the Sony PSP worth it? I mean, It looks cool and all, but is $200. price worth it? I only want it for movies, and emulating... Not too much of actuall game buying, so do you think that the PSP is for me?

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Sony really went all out and put some really cool stuff into their handheld. The screen is one of the most beautiful screens I have ever seen. It can easily process Dreamcast+ 3D style grafx, its powerful. It can emulate some of your favorite consoles, and can read Gigabite cards.

Unfotunately, Sony decided to cut some corners when they developed it and gave it the shittiest controlls I've ever played. Hitting diagonals on the D pad is nearly impossible and the "analog stick" is really hard to play with. I can't even shoot diagonally in Contra! WTF is that!

If you want it for movie watching though, I gotta admit, its pretty cool. I've never watched a UMD, but you can download movies and put them on your memory card and they look great.

I have a PSP w/ 1.5 firmware and a gigabite card I'm probably going to sell. If your interested, PM me.

TylerDurden6282

Armored Scrum Object
Two questions:
1) In what ways will the PSP interact with the PS3 and
2) Will Sony make a new handheld?

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
I spent a few hours on one yesterday, which is pretty much the first time I have but any serious time into the system apart from a few quick games on my friend's unit.

Screen is beautiful, although there are 3 dead pixels on the unit I am borrowing.

Internal speakers aren't as good as I thought they would be. Not bad, but not impressive at all IMO.

It is a hand held system, but really not that 'portable'. At least not in my book. I want a portable to fit into my pocket and be up for a gaming session in no time. The PSP just can't do this. For a start, it is too big to fit in a pocket, and there is no way you can carry it around without putting it in a case or you will trash it.

Not that keen on the button layout either. It is OK, but not so comfy for my big hands. I had to remap all the buttons on Gokumakaimura so that jump and shoot were square and triangle (top and left) as they are the most comfortable positions.

I am enjoying Gokumakaimura, but I don't think I'm going to get a PSP for myself. At least not the current one. If they bring out a version 2, then I will be tempted.

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
TylerDurden6282 said:
Two questions:
1) In what ways will the PSP interact with the PS3 and
2) Will Sony make a new handheld?

1. We don't really know yet. It will basically be used in ways like Gameboys were used with Nintendo's home consoles. For instance it is a rear view mirror and one driving game

2. There have been rumors, but nothing solid. They don't really need to. They just need to get the software together.

I like my PSP. It has been serving as a MP3 Player since I only play WoW all day these days. When I do play it I love it though.

NeoGeo2k2

Noooooooo peeking ;-),
I was asking my self the same question..
Until last week at least.
Until I got Valkyrie P L OMG that game is sooooooo good.
I have about 16 hours into it, and Love it, My PSP is finally paying off..
Then we have CPS1 and Neo Support for the1.5 and the value just went off.
Now we add Tekken and the Value just went up once more..
Let's look at the future now....Metal Slug collection with MS6 included:buttrock:
so if you ask me if it's worth it, I say Hell yeah..
I love mine and I haven't put it down since last week, VPL makes owning the system worth it.
Now if we can only get this games in here it would be perfect
Castlevania
Resident Evil
Silent Hill (coming soon)
Grand Turismo
and I can go on and on...

Now a Mint 1.5 Complete Value Pack US for $180 I think it's worth it:drool_2:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148788
well if you take the $35 for the 1gb Duo and $10 for shipping:cool:

But don't take my word for it, try it for your self, I'm sure you'll be more than pleased.

raypfaff

New Challenger
In my opinion there's not a lot of good games for it, I much perfer the DS. I still run the 1.5 firmware and mostly use it to watch movies off of the memory stick in the UMD resolution mode. As others have said, it's pretty large for a "handheld". I have a DS and a GP2X. I prefer the DS for commercial games and the GP2X for homebrew.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I recently bought a used PSP, it was a good deal so I can't pass it up. The screen is definitely a thing of beauty, but the ergonomics (buttons/dpad) is pretty horrid. It took me a week to get used to it before I can use it for longer than 1/2 hour.

Anyway, there are alot of good games on it and I highly recommend it. I already have 10 games and all of them are very fun. For example:

GTA: LCS
Exit
Winning Eleven 9
MLB 06 The Show
Metal Gear Ac!d 1 & 2
Generation of Chaos
Burnout Legend

I still need to pick up the 2 Megaman, Outrun C2C, Race Driver 2006, Gradius Collection, Valkyrie Profile, Tekken Resurrection, Taiko Drum Master (Import), Initial D (Import) and there are some very promising titles coming too like Ghost n Ghouls Collection, Metal Slug Collection, LocoRoco, etc. I have not even begin to explore the homebrew/emu scene or the movies/mp3 capabilities yet... In short, it is a great machine but hopefully it gets a redesign soon.

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
raypfaff said:
In my opinion there's not a lot of good games for it, I much perfer the DS. I still run the 1.5 firmware and mostly use it to watch movies off of the memory stick in the UMD resolution mode. As others have said, it's pretty large for a "handheld". I have a DS and a GP2X. I prefer the DS for commercial games and the GP2X for homebrew.

I enjoy my PSP more than my DS Lite.

How many PSP games have you actually tried?

Last edited:

Jedite

Bunker Buster
The emulation on the PSP is worth it alone. Playing Genesis and NG games on the PSP is awesome, and the emulation is near perfect. Also, some of the games that are out are great too like both of the Mega Man games, Tekken, and Ape Escape. The PSP dosen't have much originality but, the games that are out for it, are really good, and the PSP is worth getting, even more if you plan on it using for emulation.