Sony 20M4U PVM - Input accessibility

gptrilik

n00b
Howdy!

So I have a PVM that is setup in a corner in my basement on some shelving that doesn't make it super accessible to the rear for switching out different cables and such.

I have no shortage of cables to use. The one I find using the most is the BNC to Scart. There are a few times though when I want to use a standard component in...

Would it be better to try and get some short (3ft) BNC Male to Female extension, basically moving the accessibility of all common used rear inputs to the front or just stick with the BNC to Scart and then purchase a male Scart to female component set ?

Thoughts? Anyone have this issue or is it just me.. =-)

gptrilik

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
I use three different switch boxes so I don't have to dig around behind mine. One takes care of composite, one takes care of s-video, and the last one takes care of component in. This will all be switched out once I get a scart switched and go strictly RGB. Check thrift stores as you can find switch boxes all the time

gptrilik

n00b
Thanks for the response. Your current approach makes alot of sense if you have a bunch of systems and want them setup and ready to go for gaming asap. For my current needs, I would probably only have a system or 2 out at any one time and am looking for a quicker way to swap between them.

The majority of my systems are outputting RGB and the scart in on the PVM is the way to go but there are a few that are not there.. yet... =-)

gptrilik

I use three different switch boxes so I don't have to dig around behind mine. One takes care of composite, one takes care of s-video, and the last one takes care of component in. This will all be switched out once I get a scart switched and go strictly RGB. Check thrift stores as you can find switch boxes all the time

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Consoles ---> SCART cables ---> SCART switchbox ---> SCART to BNC cable ---> Monitor

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
I hacked 15pin dsub connectors (2$ x 4 = 8$ local Radio Shack) into the backs of all my (Genesis/Saturn/Dreamcast/SNES) consoles (wired for standard VGA, only csync connected to pin-13, pin-14 left disconnected).

Sega 32x pictured
20140113_091606-1.jpg

Regular (5$ x 4 = 20$ local Microcenter) 1ft VGA cords connected to a manual (I had strange brightness issues with a self powered auto sensing/switching) VGA input selector switch.

Manual VGA switch box 13$ at Microcenter
mBFUTgy53FyKZprqqQFD5oQ.jpg

The output going to the Sony (14L5) PVM with a VGA-2-BNC cable (most expensive single part, 20$ at local Microcenter).

CV-VGA-5BNC-06.JPG

I use a pair of Sony headphones, that I must move around depending on the system I'm using. I would like to get a switch box for the audio as well, but the money required vs connecting a single 3.5mm headphone jack can't be justified IMO.

31Avw433I1L._SY300_.jpg

Everything I used was sourced from local places... Even the "gamebit" screwdriver required to open the SNES was skipped (saving about 15$) in favor of the "melted bic pen" (0$ acquired from local bank) trick.

Last edited:

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Thanks for the response. Your current approach makes alot of sense if you have a bunch of systems and want them setup and ready to go for gaming asap. For my current needs, I would probably only have a system or 2 out at any one time and am looking for a quicker way to swap between them.

The majority of my systems are outputting RGB and the scart in on the PVM is the way to go but there are a few that are not there.. yet... =-)

gptrilik

I only have one system at a time hooked up to the PVM. I just use the switch boxes to bring the ports out front of the unit for easy setup. Right now my game setup is in transition and the consoles are living on different shelves all over the house. Once I get a more permanent setup everything will be scart to switch box to RGB in on the monitor.

gptrilik

n00b
Thanks all. Lot of good options given here. I appreciate the help.

gptrilik

I only have one system at a time hooked up to the PVM. I just use the switch boxes to bring the ports out front of the unit for easy setup. Right now my game setup is in transition and the consoles are living on different shelves all over the house. Once I get a more permanent setup everything will be scart to switch box to RGB in on the monitor.