Something Big Coming... SNKP + Sammy

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
so much hate for Sammy here, I for one love the GGX games, so what if they're cheesy and simplistic, they're still fun.

I have no doubt Sammy will scoop up SNKP.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Great news, I believe there'll always be the classics, but SNKp is more interested in milking a franchise rather than making a great game.

In other words, I'll be there with open arms when a new KOF is released that isn't rehashed.

Kusanagi2004

NEST Puppet
the roker said:
Great news, I believe there'll always be the classics, but SNKp is more interested in milking a franchise rather than making a great game.

In other words, I'll be there with open arms when a new KOF is released that isn't rehashed.

I agree completely. I know it hasn't been said by all here, since this is a NEO board, but the hints of fans and foes alike have been saying this about SNK games for the past few years. Any kind of change can be good or bad, but either way it is inevitable. They can't keep making games for MVS forever and ever. We all knew this would come one day.

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
i'm in with everyone else who pictures a merger/alliance of some kind between the two companies. however, i don't think that just because future games will be run on atomiswave (most likely) automatically means that snkp will lose direction over their existing series. regardless, things will change, and like it or not, it's really about damn time...

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Its funny when shit like this happens the kinds of wild speculation that follows. I remember feeling frustrated at the prospect of kof 2003 coming out on new hardware and the gloating masses on this very board (shame on you:angry: ), only to be vindicated by the eventual news that this wasn't the case.

So here is my way of adding fuel to the fires.
SNK and Sammy merge somehow and old SNK hardware is left behind in favour of either Atomiswave or a new system.

However (and as incredulous as it may seem I really see this as viable), since SNK has the Neo Geo hardcore massive (brittish expression meaning crew) buying up any junk they throw out, they will provide for them by creating another home system (the neo geo 2 if you will). Capcom may have some hand in it too. And it will be cart based and ridiculously expensive.

ok its time for my medication.

dragonwillow

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Ok yeah, flame me if you want, but the majority of the guys that posted here are nothing but a bunch of stupid, blind fanboys. I don't care what the fuck you want to say about Sammy, but quite simply, it's all the better for everything.
And for you people complaining about the GG series' gameplay, I don't see anyone playing SVC competetively anymore. Just accept the fucking changes, make the fucking best of them, and live on dammit.

Paul Phoenix

New Challenger
Man, nice Dragonwillow, what is the purpose of this post ???

And by the way, tell me one thing people, please, all those who are looking forward to the merger, WHICH ISN´T CONFIRMED AFTER ALL !!!!!!! , tell me how or on which platform you will play those Sammy games ???

If they should merge, NEO GEO is dead, that´s for sure, so let´s also see the other side.

And so much for Sammy, weren´t they so sure that this Seven Samurai 20XX game on PS2 will be a great hit game ??? - So much is for sure, the game was one of the greatest flops back in 2003, with around 7000 copies sold at launch.
Nice to see which company is going to take over SNKP, according to your sources :oh_no:

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Yay, we will now get Mugen-ized SNK games on Atomiswave. It's SNK-P's attempt to make people forget about their lackluster efforts and jerkoff to the graphics.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Paul Phoenix said:
Man, nice Dragonwillow, what is the purpose of this post ???

And by the way, tell me one thing people, please, all those who are looking forward to the merger, WHICH ISN´T CONFIRMED AFTER ALL !!!!!!! , tell me how or on which platform you will play those Sammy games ???

If they should merge, NEO GEO is dead, that´s for sure, so let´s also see the other side.

And so much for Sammy, weren´t they so sure that this Seven Samurai 20XX game on PS2 will be a great hit game ??? - So much is for sure, the game was one of the greatest flops back in 2003, with around 7000 copies sold at launch.
Nice to see which company is going to take over SNKP, according to your sources :oh_no:

I believe Samurai 20XX was not made by Arc Systems, who are in charge of the GG games. I'm sure if this rumor is true, Sammy's teams will have to expand and perhaps they'll hire some of SNKp's team members.

There's always a supergun for the Atomiswave.

I'm fucking tired of everyone complaining about SNKp's games, but in the same breath want them to continue pushing garbage out. In my opinion it can't get any worse.

So bring'em on!

Voz

n00b
rarehero said:
its okay,
the SEGA curse will be passed on to them.
why in the world would an arcade company buy up SEGA.
The same reason why this announcement probably is about they buying SNKP.
Let's face it, besides us neo fans to almost 70 maybe 80% of the gamers in the world names like Guilty Gear, Sammy, Fatal Fury, Metal Slug, Art Of Fighting, SNK, SNKPlaymore, and the majority of newer titles from SEGA doesn't mean shit.
Instead, names like Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, SquareEnix, Marvel Vs Capcom, Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Megaman, Capcom, Metal Gear Solid, Konami, Half-Life, Counter-Strike, FIFA and others are just way too famous and great sellers ( some even best-sellers ) in almost every new version, and the general public loves it.
That's why Sammy is doing this. SEGA and SNK are not in a very good bussiness position and are not that famous like they may have been in the past, but still some names like Virtua Fighter, Sonic and King Of Fighters does ring a bell for a little bigger slice of the gamers, and getting this franchises in such a way is a great oportunity from a business point of view. Investing some money in the production of this titles in order to renew the series, having their respectives project teams working under their name and publishing this titles can generate great profits and also make them more famous.
I got to tell, if they really are going to buy SNKP then it's really a smart move from them and can be both good and bad for the SNK fans: good for the fans of famous titles like KOF. Bad for the fans of the less known titles. You can bet they will be left in the dust.
Sammy got a lot of money, but you can see that they are just like Capcom. Once they got a great series they try to make the most profit from them as possible. So we will probably see KOF for a long time yet. KOF 2030 anyone? :D
That's my 2 cents ;)
PS: it's 4 AM here so the text probably is a mess, but if you got here then probably it's legible somehow :loco:

Last edited:

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Who really knows for sure? I'll bet everyone here that this so-called SNK / Sammy merger is nothing more than a fairytale to generate interest in both companies. I think we might see more SNK franchises on Atomiswave after KOF, but I seriously doubt that SNK-P would sell itself to Sammy. Sammy has Guilty Gear -- SNK has a multitude of franchises that are still more popular than anything ever produced (sans Capcom’s inexhaustible supply of SF sequels), so why would SNK sell-out to a one-hit wonder?

I love Guilty Gear and play it all the time, but GG is one hit to SNK's many, and I don’t feel that Sammy would do the SNK franchises any justice (besides GG, how much experience do they have with fighting games?)– I am sorry, but I just don’t feel the same way some of you do. I think SNK-P would be better off developing new hardware for itself.

Cain Highwind

Kula's Candy
I think, if this is a merger of some sort, it'll be mutually beneficial.

You guys gotta remember. Love or hate Guilty Gear, Arc Studios is still comprised of Ex-SNK workers namely a lot of their old sprite artists and Daisuke Ishwatari, the man behind Last Blade. And plus if they can get Sammy's sound team to do a KoF (IE a soundtrack which doesn't solely focus on heavy metal, but a well rounded variety) We'll probably get to hear AST quality if not better soundtracks again. And of course the graphics. I'm guessing we'll see something along the lines of a smooth CVS as far as KoF games go. Not to mention maybe the combination of SNKNG and Arc Studios can THOUROUGHLY test the games before they're released. I mean, again, love or hate Guilty Gear, do you hear as much complaining about Infinites or Broken Hit Boxes as we have for say SvC or other recent SNKP titles. I don't think you guys should be so paranoid into thinking that Just because Sammy's going to get involved we'll see a "Guilty Gear with KoF characters". I don't wan't see that honestly. I just want to see a KoF with uped hardware.

You guys are assuming that if they merge, Sammy will have all the control and SNK games will go down the toilet. I disagree. I think BOTH companies can only get better if they *work together*

Sammy could use the extra "franchises" to their stand alone Guilty Gear. But also if some of the artists (frankly the GGX artist they have sucks IMHO) like Nona and Falcoon and maybe some of the "designers" that's done SNKP's recent games. Maybe Guilty Gear could become a series actually WORTH talking about.

Anyway just my two cents, if this really is a merger.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Cain Highwind said:
I think, if this is a merger of some sort, it'll be mutually beneficial.

You guys are assuming that if they merge, Sammy will have all the control and SNK games will go down the toilet. I disagree. I think BOTH companies can only get better if they *work together*
I think people are assuming it would be a Sammy buying SNKP situation because Sammy has more money than they know what to do with at the moment, while Playmore doesn't. I have to admit that even I haven't considered until now the idea of an equal merger. It definitely sounds more palatable. I'll hope for the best; we should know in a few days now what this is about.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
I think we all want what's best for SNK, because we don't want to see an end to our favorite series'. I don't particularly care for Guilty Gear, but I think if it came down to SNK and Sammy merging, I hope that SNK would be in charge of all the artwork. The graphics would be much improved and King of Fighters would look amazing. If I had it my way Guilty Gear would cease to exist from there on. Sammy has money, I suppose that's true, but they are one hit wonders in my opinion too. With all that money they could endorse the SNK franchises and I'm hoping this will result in SNK taking over the 2D fighting market. Capcom has other titles other than fighters, but perhaps eventually they'll all merge. And maybe, just maybe....think about this, maybe there's a chance that we'll see a new revolution of arcades sprouting up all across Asia, North/South America, and Europe once again! A new Amusement company so big and grandius that there'd be practically no competition and people would go to arcades once again, and maybe they'd develop new hardware too (inevitable) and we'll have our next system which will survive for 15+ years in the arcades and in our homes. Just a thought.

The Future Is Now.:drool:

Ill6

Marked Wolf
Sammy Announcement

This from Sammy Europe http://www.sammyeurope.co.uk/coin-op/index.html#

Partnerships with Major Japanese Software Publishers
Sammy has entered into a publishing partnership with SNK PLAYMORE CORPORATION (Headquarters: Suita-City, Osaka; Koichi Toyama, President), and a licensing agreement with CAPCOM CO., LTD. (Headquarters: Osaka; Kenzo Tsujimoto, President & CEO).

SNK PLAYMORE CORPORATION
SNK PLAYMORE, famous for its popular series of fighting games, will develop the latest instalment in its 'THE KING OF FIGHTERS' series for the ATOMISWAVE system. The game is targeted for a Spring 2004 release.

CAPCOM CO. LTD.
CAPCOM, famous for its 'RIVAL SCHOOLS', 'Darkstalkers' and 'STREET FIGHTER' series of fighting games, has entered into a licensing agreement with Sammy. Under the terms of this agreement, CAPCOM will be bringing a new arcade fighting title, 'Sammy VS. CAPCOM' (working title), to the ATOMISWAVE system, featuring content owned by both companies.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Re: Sammy Announcement

Ill6 said:
This from Sammy Europe http://www.sammyeurope.co.uk/coin-op/index.html#

Partnerships with Major Japanese Software Publishers
Sammy has entered into a publishing partnership with SNK PLAYMORE CORPORATION (Headquarters: Suita-City, Osaka; Koichi Toyama, President), and a licensing agreement with CAPCOM CO., LTD. (Headquarters: Osaka; Kenzo Tsujimoto, President & CEO).

SNK PLAYMORE CORPORATION
SNK PLAYMORE, famous for its popular series of fighting games, will develop the latest instalment in its 'THE KING OF FIGHTERS' series for the ATOMISWAVE system. The game is targeted for a Spring 2004 release.

CAPCOM CO. LTD.
CAPCOM, famous for its 'RIVAL SCHOOLS', 'Darkstalkers' and 'STREET FIGHTER' series of fighting games, has entered into a licensing agreement with Sammy. Under the terms of this agreement, CAPCOM will be bringing a new arcade fighting title, 'Sammy VS. CAPCOM' (working title), to the ATOMISWAVE system, featuring content owned by both companies.

That's old news

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
It's just "Terry Bogard's Turkey Hunter USA".

Last edited:

Greywolf

Angel's Love Slave
dragonwillow said:
Ok yeah, flame me if you want, but the majority of the guys that posted here are nothing but a bunch of stupid, blind fanboys. I don't care what the fuck you want to say about Sammy, but quite simply, it's all the better for everything.
And for you people complaining about the GG series' gameplay, I don't see anyone playing SVC competetively anymore. Just accept the fucking changes, make the fucking best of them, and live on dammit.

I agree 100%!

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
NeoLord said:
Who really knows for sure? I'll bet everyone here that this so-called SNK / Sammy merger is nothing more than a fairytale to generate interest in both companies. I think we might see more SNK franchises on Atomiswave after KOF, but I seriously doubt that SNK-P would sell itself to Sammy. Sammy has Guilty Gear -- SNK has a multitude of franchises that are still more popular than anything ever produced (sans Capcom’s inexhaustible supply of SF sequels), so why would SNK sell-out to a one-hit wonder?

I love Guilty Gear and play it all the time, but GG is one hit to SNK's many, and I don’t feel that Sammy would do the SNK franchises any justice (besides GG, how much experience do they have with fighting games?)– I am sorry, but I just don’t feel the same way some of you do. I think SNK-P would be better off developing new hardware for itself.

Here's a barebones look at why SNK-P would merge with Sammy:

SNK's IP + Sammy's hardware = Bigger name franchises being updated with flashy looks to attract today's fickle gaming audience, which in turn = $$$

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
all i pray is that they dont go the gg/cvs2 look with any snkp affiliated games...

there is this new beatem up in the arcades here by sammy.. has 3-d backgrounds with sprite characters who are 2-d and horribly jaggy.. looks ugly as sin to me and lacks personality..