Some pics for an actual job I'm doing!!! Argh beware 56k users!

John_Smith

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Hey guys! I've been commissioned to draw up a series of 4 books on how to draw Manga style characters. I know threes a bunch of good stuff out there already n all, but hey they're paying for it so I guess it’s no loss to me if it proves hard for em to grab a market share. I'm a few years out of University now and have been doing quite a bit of work in the kid’s book publishing and education areas, but there’s been little or no call for Manga style stuff. So as much as the Japanese side of things has long been a passion for me as far as character design goes, I've never really been able to use it commercially till now, so it’s a bit of a coup really! Anyway, of course I've decided to do the 'Girls' book first (being the red blooded male that I am!) and wanted to run a few pics past you guys early on to get some feedback! I'm afraid the inside content is limited to gray scale printing leaving only the cover for a nice full colour pic! So far I think the ‘Elf Princess’ type girl is sitting at the top of the heap, but we'll see what I come up before this books out the way! BTW, the other books in the proposed series will be 'Robots and Machines', 'Guys' and then 'fictional creatures' like demons, dragons, humanoids etc (though I guess it’s debatable as to whether the elf girl fits into the 'Girls' book then). Anyway let me know what ya think!! Oh, also a long time influence of mine would be Satoshi Urushihara amongst others. :D

Elf_Girl.jpg

Small_Girl.jpg

Cat_Girl.jpg

Last edited:

John_Smith

B. Jenet's Firstmate
ARGH!! Sorry about the size of the pics guys. Im a 1600 x 1200 user and they look okay to me but................

I'll use my brain next time I promise!! :loco:

Robert

20 Year Member
Your drawings don't look too much like manga which is a good sign since I can't stand Sakura style.

John_Smith

B. Jenet's Firstmate
hehehe yeah, guess I've got my own take on it nowadays. Not too keen on that side of things myself! :mr_t:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Draw us an exclusive NUDE version of that kitty kat.......

then you will be cool.
:lol:

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
They look generic enough (in a good way) for a how to book and look very professional.

Nice work.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Great work, congratulations, I would recomend you to draw faces smaller from a vertical standpoint, in other words, the faces (especially for the cat girl) look a little "large", but only vertically. Other thing you should consider is that the cat girl's mouth is a little too big/wide, female character are supposed to have a small mouth, just like your first chara, the elf, has.

That is all I can tell you should improve, other than that, perfect.

MistressDragon

The Ultimate 11
I love the cat one so much I want to use it as my sig. all of them look completely awesome.

Edit: I had to make elf girl my background on the comp. ;)

Last edited:

Curt

apostate
Fantastic

I like them...

I also like the High Res Madness...

More!!!

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I like all of the artwork very much. In the first one I like the use of tones and shading because it gives all the different surfaces unique definition. I think for the second one the kid looks good, but I think the head should be a bit rounder (I can't say for sure because I haven't drawn in a while). But the explanation behind that is that little people are pudgy. The third one is nice as well and I feel greatful to have seen some professional artwork in here. Thank you for showing us! :mr_t:

..yea.. this does cut it.. it puts my stuff to shame anyday. ..
They're very nice.. I agree about the face comment though.. *nods a little*
Other than that.. wow, they're so good.
The elven girl's face looks a little too much like my youngest daughters face (.. a little too chubby.. I think maybe her face needs to be slightly longer/thiner.. but.. its just me..)

^_^;; Congrats on getting to be in a book

John_Smith

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Aw jeez guys, thanks so much for the praise, it's made my week!! And I really appreciate the suggestions for things to watch out for in the face department, its always good to get a fresh pair of eyes to look over one's work, as its hard to notice the little things after you've been labouring over an image for many hours!!

Many thanks again guys!! I'll post some fresh images as I get them done!

Cheers! :buttrock: :buttrock:

snesaes

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
That's the best work I've seen here. Ever. Even better than the last guy I said that to.