Some NGP Questions

ScoobyDoo

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I've just bought a Neo Geo Pocket via eBay and was wondering if some of you could answer a few questions for me.

1) I have the chance to get Evolution, Cotton and Faselei for about £150 ($200 approx.) are these three games as good as everyone says? Or am I better off spending my money on something else?

2) Are the Metal Slug games as good playability wise as on the AES/MVS?

3) Whats the best fighting game?

4) Whats the best puzzle game? (I've already got a copy of Magical Drop).

JRock917

, ,
From what I have heard, SNK vs Capcom Millenium Fight is probably the best fighting game on the NGPC.

N

NGPSkinhead

I think evolution and Faselei are great games, but Cotton is not great. It's really hard and the pocketscreen is too small for shooters

Metal Slug on the pocket is a bit diffrent of the homeversions. Part 1 was not great, but part two is worth getting.

Match of the Millenium is the best Fighter (as said above)

Best puzzler is I think Puzzle Bobble or Puzzle Link 2, love both

Eclipse

Crossed Swords Squire
With Evolution, Cotton, and Faselei I think the price is more about how hard it is to get these games more than how good they are.
Don't get me wrong, they may be great games for all I know. I haven't played them, so I can't say.

Whether they're worth 50 pounds a pop (around $66 each) or not is up to you. Of those 3 games, I'm pretty sure you can find Cotton for less, but considering how much I've seen Faselei going for, that may not be such a bad price after all, IF you're really sure you want those 3 games. Overall, the price may be a little steep, but not horrible.

If you're not 100% positive you want all 3 of those games, spend the money elsewhere. You can probably get 4-5 other really great NGPC games for the same amount of money.

chohan

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
Evolution is a lot of fun, ive had the game for a few weeks now. And it keeps you bissy. I heard faselei! was not so a big RPG. But it should be fun but to short like Biomotor Unitron I. I payed 45 pounds for Evolution alone. I don't think Cotton would be about 50 pounds worth to get through.

Cho

Eclipse

Crossed Swords Squire
To answer question #2, I can safely say that no, the NGPC Metal Slug games do not play like the AES/MVS versions. I only own Metal Slug: 1st Mission for the NGPC though. (I also own Metal Slug X and 3 for the MVS.)

1st Mission is a good game, but it's not a frantic, take-on-10-enemies at once kind of game like Metal Slug X is. 1st Mission is slower paced and has a variety of branching paths, kind of like Metal Slug 3. Still, 1st Mission isn't like Metal Slug 3 even.

1st Mission is a good action game, and I think it's worth the money, but if you're looking for a portable AES/MVS-style Metal Slug game, 1st Mission isn't it.

N

NGPSkinhead

I think you can't really put Metal Slug FM and Metal Slug SM next to each other. The difference in quality is like Metal Slug 2 versus Metal Slug X. Metal Slug FM was a release title which was finished in a short time to sell some NGP's to people who want to own Metal Slug, but Metal Slug SM is much more worked out and a damn good game. I didn't like Metal Slug 2, bacause it was a bit boring, but metal Slug X was great.

ZERO.X

Quiz Detective
1. Evolution is all right. Don't get your hopes up. Faselei! kicks ass. Cotton is extremely good.
2. I haven't really played the REAL versions. While saying that, MS2nd is extremely good. I found MS1st kinda bad.
3. The best fighter is Last Blade, hands down. I am planning on getting KoF R-1, though.
4. From what I own (BAM, MD, PP), I think MD is the best. I am planning on getting PL2, though.

G

gokusama26

Don't listen to anyone who hasn't played Faselei!, they will just regurgitate what others have said. "Oh, I heard it was slow, it was too hard, it was too easy". Faselei! is THE BEST handheld RPG I have played. Hands down. It has a great storyline, involving, tough battles, and great graphics. I even sing the opening song out loud from time to time. If you buy a game, and feel usure about it later, you spent too much for it. Only buy a game if you are absolutley sure that you will not be complete without playing it. Go for what you like, and use your best judgement.

BakuretsuMutekiSid

Zero's Tailor
I agree with gokusama26 in that Faselei! is a kick ass game and that it is a MUST HAVE. I completed the game in over 20 hours but it was rushed. If you like mech games in which you can customize everything, then you'll love this game. The weapons are bad asses as well. And with the right mech you can equip about 7 or 8 at one time! I had fun damaging enemies with the missles from a distance, and then coming up close for the finishing blow with the shotgun or claw. Wonderful sound effects as well. I paid $70 dollars for it new, and IMO it's worth every cent.
As for Metal Slug 1st and 2nd mission, I have both. The latter is way better and has one of the best graphics on the system. It also has voice in the intro "Metal Slug: 2nd Mission", and also when you pick up weapons "Shotgun". I think you could do without Metal Slug 1.
And Match of the Millenium is THE best fighting game on any handheld system! Too many things to do. For starters, there's a lot of hidden characters to unlock, and there's the Olympics which is an entire game in itself. Does anyone else think that the Arthur stage has the best background on this system? Another fighter I'd like to recommend is Gals Fighters. This has turbo option believe it or not! In fact there's 4 speed settings-Unbelievable! Also when you defeat an enemy using a super move, the screen flashes with cool KoF drawings!

Hope this input helps for you
smile.gif

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Hi Scooby,
Firstly I'm not sure if any game is WORTH £50, However both Faselei, and Evolution are very impressive for handheld games!
BUT they are both a bit weird, having their own peculiar control systems etc Evolution is a strange mix of RPG styles with an almost 'Final Fantasy' overall aproach (at least thats how it strikes me) as to if you will like it, it is a bit bizzare, very japanese, and a bit of an aquired taste. Much like it's dreamcast counterpart. On the upside, it's involving and different. And if you ancy somthing a bit deeper than 'Dark Arms' then get it.
Faselei on the other hand is perhaps the most over-rated game since Gran-Turismo! and it is certainly not worth the stupid amounts of money that it goes for on E-Bay. That said, it is a good game, the combat is turn based via programming chips that you aquire along the way, which can be combined into sequences of actions/attacks etc. This works quite well and eventually allows you to perform multiple tasks in one move. As has already been mentioned you can fully modify/customise your mech' to deal with the progressivley tougher challenges. All in all as with Evolution its a very impressive game for a handheld, and well worth having at a reasonable price!
Cotton on the other hand is WICKED. Forget what anyone says about it! If you want a sideways scrolling shoot-em-up on your NGPC, then this is the only one! Okay, it's not R-Type or Nemesis, In fact it's about as complicated as Scramble, But the graphics are excellent and its great fun to play!
As for fighters, Match of the Millenium without a doubt, all your Capcom fav's all your SNK fav's, fast as fuck, loads of sub games. its got it all, with bells on! it really is amazing. I didn't like 2D beat-em-ups untill I got MOTM, I've now bought all the rest on the NGPC (except KOF R2) and I must say they were all a dissapointment after MOTM. (although Rockman Battles is great fun)
As for puzzle games Puyo Pop is my fav' if you haven't played it think of 'kirby's ghost trap' on the SNES or 'Super Puzzle Fighter' on the playstation. However if you fancy somthing a bit more unusual try 'Ganbare Neo Poke Kun' which totally rules.
There are no crap games on the system, Take my advice and buy them all as and when you see them at reasonable prices!
cheers then!
Good luck choosing!

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Oh, and as for the Metal Slug's, they are both great, yes 2nd mission has improved visuals and speech (that makes the improved visuals slow down) but on the whole they both ROCK! Not as good as the MVS versions, I havent played the AES ver' but concidering the limitations of the hardware they are both excellent!

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Honorable mention also goes to Sonic which you have to have to show off the power of the NGPC!

[This message has been edited by Metal Slug (edited November 12, 2000).]