Some cracking Lego Minisets.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
I love Lego, who doesn't?

I do find though that quite a lot of modern sets carry too many shape moulded parts - I prefer Lego that looks like lots of blocks rather than a model kit.

In addition, I think the quality of the plastic has changed - for the worse.

But I digress. Anyway, this last week or so, trashy Tabloid newspaper 'The Sun' has been giving away minisets with the newspaper.

Amongst them, there were a couple of Star Wars and Pirates of the Caribbean sets that looked pretty good.

Anyway, here they are;

photo-138.jpg

photo-140.jpg

photo-137.jpg

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
I've thought about getting into Lego as a hobby. I really haven't done anything with them since I was a kid, but I have been inspired by some of the amazing custom designs I've seen online. Especially the guys that build the Vic Vipers and such.

Turns out the sets are pretty freaking expensive these days. It will probably have to wait until I get back to work and won't feel bad about spending some money.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
lego's are an expensive choke hazard.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
For some unkown reason i bought the lego deathstar set. its 3800 pcs there is little chance ill be putting it together lol.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
that little x wing would look great on my desk. neat little throw-ins.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Haven't played one since my elementary school days when video games took over the spot of toys.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I find it kinda sad that Lego turned into model making. When I was a kid, I loved to build something from scratch and play around with it for hours (or blow it up with firecrackers). Construction toy, y'know...

IMO, things went downhill when they came up with those small Lego figures (the original ones used to be much bigger) and all these theme packs, you know, pirates, space ships + astronauts, etc. The current packs contain too many special parts IMO.

Lego should be the real-life version of sprites, not HD, if you catch my drift.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
i wanted to get those issues of the sun that had the legos, but didn't go down to the news agents, especially with the crazy rain we had all weekend.

ghibben

Zero's Secretary
Those look way better than the ones they have at mcdonalds over here.

I have gotten into Lego recently, under the guise that it's for the kids.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
I find it kinda sad that Lego turned into model making. When I was a kid, I loved to build something from scratch and play around with it for hours (or blow it up with firecrackers). Construction toy, y'know...

IMO, things went downhill when they came up with those small Lego figures (the original ones used to be much bigger) and all these theme packs, you know, pirates, space ships + astronauts, etc. The current packs contain too many special parts IMO.

I know what you mean, and whilst I like some of the mini-figures, the mini-figures have overtaken the lego sets themselves sometime. I often see that reviews nearly always mention the number and types of 'minifigs' first, which is kinda annoying.

I agree that Lego is best enjoyed as a dumping a pile of bricks and letting you imagination run wild.

A friend recently got a me a mini tub full of basic bricks - mainly all 8'ers and 4'ers and me and my niece thought we would take turns and get 5 mins or so to make something and it turned out pretty awesome, especially if you didn't think about it and just start assembling ... sooner or later an overall shape and idea forms. We ended up with a variety of stuff, but the best was a double ended pyramid, which I hid her half eaten bounty bar in. We ended up playing catch with it and ... it really hurt because of the sharp plastic, so laughs and yelps of pain were order of the day. Of course it eventually got dropped and exploded into it's component pieces.

i wanted to get those issues of the sun that had the legos, but didn't go down to the news agents, especially with the crazy rain we had all weekend.

Yeah I struggled to get most of them, as they ran out pretty quickly - you could only get them at WHSMITHS and TOYRSUS. I think that they might be doing at again though. The Star Wars ones I believe were previously done in the US last year. I very rarely go for this type of stuff, but these were pretty good.

aria

Former Moderator
This past weekend they closed the entire convention center downtown and filled it with Legos for people to come play with. It was called the LEGO® KidsFest.

I didn't go, but I initially pictured they were going to just dump several million legos into a room and let people have at it. It turns out there was more stuff to do than that.

Here's their upcoming schedule if people want to check it out:

http://www.legokidsfest.com/upcoming/index.html

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
This past weekend they closed the entire convention center downtown and filled it with Legos for people to come play with. It was called the LEGO® KidsFest.

I didn't go, but I initially pictured they were going to just dump several million legos into a room and let people have at it. It turns out there was more stuff to do than that.

Here's their upcoming schedule if people want to check it out:

http://www.legokidsfest.com/upcoming/index.html

Wow, look at those fucking cavekids...

550x300px_BrandChild088.jpg

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member

I think the bigger ones were called Diplo. Those were made for under 3 years old, because Lego blocks were indeed deemed as a chock hazard.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
No, I'm not talking about the parts but larger figures. The original Lego figures of the (early) 70s used to be three times as large as the current small ones and had more moveable parts (feet, hands and head), they only were sold about one or two years and then got cancelled due to bad sales. There were no Diplo or other blocks like that when I was a kid, we only had Lego and Fischertechnik. :)

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
I know what you mean, and whilst I like some of the mini-figures, the mini-figures have overtaken the lego sets themselves sometime. I often see that reviews nearly always mention the number and types of 'minifigs' first, which is kinda annoying.

I agree that Lego is best enjoyed as a dumping a pile of bricks and letting you imagination run wild.

A friend recently got a me a mini tub full of basic bricks - mainly all 8'ers and 4'ers and me and my niece thought we would take turns and get 5 mins or so to make something and it turned out pretty awesome, especially if you didn't think about it and just start assembling ... sooner or later an overall shape and idea forms. We ended up with a variety of stuff, but the best was a double ended pyramid, which I hid her half eaten bounty bar in. We ended up playing catch with it and ... it really hurt because of the sharp plastic, so laughs and yelps of pain were order of the day. Of course it eventually got dropped and exploded into it's component pieces.

Yeah I struggled to get most of them, as they ran out pretty quickly - you could only get them at WHSMITHS and TOYRSUS. I think that they might be doing at again though. The Star Wars ones I believe were previously done in the US last year. I very rarely go for this type of stuff, but these were pretty good.

yeah see i wasn't going to stand at the bus stop in the rain, to head down to the shopping center, to pick up a rag like the sun, just for some legos. though that x wing looks quite cool, so i kind of wish i had. oh well. if they're doing em again though that's a good thing i might be arsed to popping out this weekend especially if the weather stays nice.

also a hyacinth bucket sig? hate that show.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I still regret not finishing that ice planet base with the ORANGE TRANSPARENT CHAINSAW wielding guys.

Nowadays I just play minecraft.