Some Advice on AES vs MVS systems

darkkrisp

Cheng's Errand Boy
Right now I have an AES system with a socketed Unibios and complete US copies of King Of Monsters, Sengoku, Ninja Combat, Samurai Shodown II, and Mutation Nation. I sold off all my pricey carts along time ago when I was out of work and at least made my money back. The carts I hung onto I could not get much for so I kept them. Now prices have jumped and from the last sales I've seen on eBay US Mutation Nation has sold from $200-$400 dollars and Samurai Shodown II and KOM have jumped significantly as well.

I want to have more Neo Geo games to play and my question is should I sell off my AES stuff while it is high and use the profits to buy one of those Omega consolized MVS systems or should I hang onto my AES system and buy one of those carts that let me play MVS games on my AES?
Anyone have any suggestions? I already have the AES so I would just need one of those MVS to AES converters. Any recommendations on converters? Let's get a discussion going.

p3lagic

n00b
I can't speak to the converters but the Omega is terrific. From what I can tell MVS carts are getting a little expensive but nothing like the AES. If you just want to play some great neo geo games I would go cmvs.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Mag Lord is 3x the price on MVS than it is on AES. Nam 75 is getter higher too.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
My 2 cents: sell all your AES and console. Use money to buy CMVS and multicart

Case closed

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
I sold my aes and went mvs and carts. Otherwise too many games were well above my reach....

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
There will be a new multicart solution available soon by the polarizing, yet very competent people around Darksoft. You could wait & save for that one. Whereas your present concept, the so called banana multicart combo'ed with a converter is a common, but substandard solution, as both are known to cause issues & have bugs. Last but not least, the already suggested CMVS route is extremely popular these days, but has the two already suggested flaws: it's not that cheap anymore, with the banana having bugged games & galling hacks to annoy you big time. Choose or loose.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I dunno, I'd say keep the console and some of the cheaper games like ss2, but sell the expensive ones and use the cash to buy the omega.

The reason is you really should go mvs, but every one in a while you're going to get that home cart itch. A couple of hours of SS2 and Sengoku could scratch the itch without you buying anything.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Yeah, keep tabs on the best prices and keep both formats...hell, even get the Neo CD if you're thinking about it.

I did party with my AES and games, jumped on the MVS hardware and haven't looked back although sometimes I wouldn't mind having an AES all over again with sweet cheapies, Samsho II and Fatal Fury Special are the best games for the system and prolly the cheapest ones too. My problem with the AES is the lack of options at less you modify it and it isn't cheap so you mind as well modify a motherboard and get the most out of it. The nice thing about the AES is the packaging, nothing more, the CMVS will give you that same thrill of playing the games with the same peripherals and all and if you play legit MVS carts then you're not missing absolutely anything, however some people like the console just for the prestige...pretty lame if you ask me.

MVS will always edge out the AES for me, but that's a very personal thing for me, I like to thinker thus I made my own CMVS, I like to take things apart, I love editing in PS, I like to build things, it just works for me the best as the CMVS world and MVS in general requires you to be a bit more hands on than the AES world ever could. I would however wouldn't say no to a fully loaded modified AES for the right price, then I'd just buy a few cheapies and spoil myself every now and then if the right situation presents itself, as for MVS I'm all done, got all the games I always wanted and then some.

MVS4LF

Let's look at it from the nostalgia shades though. There are 2 possible scenarios here and they both depend on your first experience with the Neo.

MVS

Like myself, if you learned about the Neo and SNK through the arcades then you know this was the ultimate most amazing thing to have, a nice MVS arcade at home...maybe that SamshoII kit with the swords and such...OMG...amazing, anyway, MVS was just the best thing out there, I always wanted a cab when I was a kid, pretty much the reason I got the AES to begin with.

AES

Others found out about the Neo through retail shops and magazines. That's cool too although you don't get to experience the real thing 'cause there wasn't a demo, people wanted it 'cause it looked awesome and the price tag was so crazy that it made you curious.

Either of those 2 scenarios are cool and all but I feel most people that get a Neo now do it 'cause they can afford it, which is great and all but that's just the same old "prestige" thing. I for one can't care less about filling that void but if that's your thing, hey go nuts...

The best route overall is to get a real nice supergun, get a MVS board get a Uni Bios, a couple of SNK Neo peripherals and you're all set, best of everything at your fingertips, then if you decide to jump forward with arcade hardware you're ready to go.

MVS is like a gateway drug to arcade hardware...once you realize how attainable and easy it is to deal with you're gonna jump in that rabbit hole like there's no tomorrow.

MVS, CPS2, PGM, Atomiswave, etc. All easy carts systems to work with for any given supergun and then if you want you could get into PCBs as well...talk about crazy then 'cause there's just so much, also some Multiboards are worth the money just for shits and giggles...

Last edited:

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
Yeah, keep tabs on the best prices and keep both formats...hell, even get the Neo CD if you're thinking about it.

The best route overall is to get a real nice supergun, get a MVS board get a Uni Bios, a couple of SNK Neo peripherals and you're all set, best of everything at your fingertips, then if you decide to jump forward with arcade hardware you're ready to go.

MVS is like a gateway drug to arcade hardware...once you realize how attainable and easy it is to deal with you're gonna jump in that rabbit hole like there's no tomorrow.

MVS, CPS2, PGM, Atomiswave, etc. All easy carts systems to work with for any given supergun and then if you want you could get into PCBs as well...talk about crazy then 'cause there's just so much, also some Multiboards are worth the money just for shits and giggles...

This sums it up :buttrock:

A supergun set-up will give you choices to experience MVS, CPS2, PGM, Atomiswave and then some classics PCBs like Final Fight, Street Fighter II Turbo, TMNT, The Simpsons etc

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Excellent advice here, for dealing with the NG means dealing with your darker side. You'll be out raising Cain sooner than you think. Keeping the home variant could just save you the drama turning it into harmless entertainment. Just spare yourself the boots & cons.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
My magic key converter works great, I've read that others have had issues but so far mine is awesome.

DPCameron

n00b
I can only comment on what I use, which is the AES home system. I have a few AES games and the magic key converter with some MVS games. I also have the multicart.

First, the AES with home games, brilliant, as you no doubt know already. Easiest way to play, but, as you also know, can be expensive.

So, magic key converter to the rescue! I have had zero problems with this, even with games that have been reported to have problems (scaling and such). To me, this is a great setup and one I'd recommend to anybody.

HOWEVER, it all depends on you. How do you want to play? What can you afford? If, as you suggest, money is tight, get the magic key and some MVS carts. You already have an AES. The multicart is... Fine. I prefer the original carts, they're simply more reliable.

If you want the arcade experience (I desperately do!), then suck it up and get the cab. You may get enough by selling the AES to afford one. I can't talk about America or anywhere else, but in Australia right now a CMVS is the same price as a full cab.

Summary for you:

Cheap and easy = AES with magic key.

Expensive and easy = Cabinet

Expensive(ish) and easy = CMVS

Cheap and difficult = DIY CMVS

I'd like to try the DIY solution someday. The fact that I say it's difficult shows my lack of understanding on it, though. Perhaps others can give better information on it than me. ElectricGrave makes it sound so simple! In my head, it's like designing a car engine.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Be prepared to pay to play. AES has been expensive for a long time and MVS is on the upward move.

As said...unless you can/want to spend the money....sell what you have. Then buy a 1-slot CMVS and a multi-cart. This is quickly becoming the only "affordable" option.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If you already have an AES collection, just keep the AES and get a Magic Key. You don't need another AES looking system that only plays MVS carts if you can just get a Magic Key and keep your AES.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
EG nailed it.

I'd like to try the DIY solution someday. The fact that I say it's difficult shows my lack of understanding on it, though. Perhaps others can give better information on it than me. ElectricGrave makes it sound so simple! In my head, it's like designing a car engine.
There's a ton of guides out there, check some out. A supergun is basically just a bunch of wires and connectors (inside a box). You should try a little project (with external PSU perhaps), it's a lot of fun - just be sure to double check your work, the multimeter is your friend. I'm sure you can do it.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Sure it does. It even mentions it in the item title: "multifunction MVS to AES Neo-Geo converter."
Correct! but I was talking about-This above link.
You can buy it from right here at the NeoStore, http://www.neostore.com
it had http://www.neostore.com/AES-MagicKey-game-genie-for-Neo-Geo-home-carts-p/1382.htm in the featured items...now it doesn't. I linked directly like to help avoid possble game genie confusion/return hassles

heres the Good direct again just so I can feel decentish http://www.neostore.com/MVS-MagicKey-MVS-to-AES-Neo-Geo-converter-p/1381.htm

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
There are two kinds of magic keys. One is an mvs converter with unibios functions and the other is an aes passthrough device with just the unibios features for those that don't want to mod their systems.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
But what about the last part:

MVS to AES converter function: allows you to play MVS arcade cartridges on your AES home console system (does not support the multi MVS cartridge)

Guess the yellow chinese one is game over then.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
But what about the last part:

MVS to AES converter function: allows you to play MVS arcade cartridges on your AES home console system (does not support the multi MVS cartridge)

Guess the yellow chinese one is game over then.

The multi-cart is hit or miss with the converters. They are probably covering their bases by officially stating that they don't.