Soaked in Bleach: Did Courtney Love have Kurt Cobain killed?

So has anyone here watched the new documentary about Kurt Cobains death titled "Soaked in Bleach"?

Its a documentary made this year and was just released on netflix. The main person telling this story is former LA sheriff detective Tom Grant who was a private investigator at the time hired by Courtney Love to supposedly find Kurt after he went missing from the rehab center. Tom came to believe that Courtney was directly involved in Kurts death, and this is his tell all to the world about all the evidence he put together.

Its a pretty fascinating doc. I am kind of stunned about some of the facts of this case I never heard about and how the whole thing was handled. I strongly suggest anyone with even a slight interest in these events give this doc a watch and post their thoughts here.

Personally nirvana was a huge part of my life as a kid and there have always been a ton of rumors floating around about Kurts death. This doc pretty much has me convinced Courtney was involved and the police never even bothered investigating this as anything other than a suicide.

I would list out some bullet points from this doc that lead me to believe this but jesus its such an overwhelming amount of information I dont know where to start. Actually the fact that Kurt had enough herion in his system to kill even the most hardened heroin user in seconds, never the less be able to stay conscious enough to commit suicide is one, the forged looking suicide note and the evidence of that forgery found in Courtneys belongings being the other super damning piece of evidence for me. Did any of you know that Kurt called his lawyer to have Courtney removed from his will before his last show in Rome? Also that was days before his "accidental overdose" in Rome, which I now believe was Courtney trying to poison him. Please post your opinions on the case or the documentary.

Last edited:

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
I watched it once right when it came out. There were definitely a few interesting points, like the amount of heroin Kurt was shot up with wouldn't allow him the motor functions to physically shoot himself, and especially the way the homicide investigation completely dropped the ball. However, I remember there were things that I felt took away from the legitimacy of Grant's claims, especially some of the dramatization segments with Courtney that was a little *too* over-the-top smear campaign.

For the lulz, some dude asks Billy Corgan if he thinks Courtney killed Kurt (skip to 2:00) :

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I need to watch this. Nirvana was a huge part of my life too growing up.

I have read numerous things online, but you never know with that stuff.

One thing I do know, Courtney's album Live Through This was waaayyy too good to be written by her. I feel Kurt had a big part of that, as it is surprisingly quite amazing.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
I haven't watched the new doc but will definitely be checking it out. I firmly believe she was a major part of his death, its a long running argument between me and the mrs.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Nirvana was a big part of my teen years too, so thanks for posting this; I'll have to check it out. Montage of Heck was a bit of a tear jerker, especially the home movies, and all the info about Kurt's life really made me want to go deeper down the rabbit hole so to speak. I've always been on the fence about his death and wondered if it was really a suicide since the circumstances seemed pretty far fetched, and yet Courtney haters/bandwagoners are pretty annoying, especially in their fixation on making her out to be the Yoko Ono to Kurt's John Lennon, because they talk about hating her more than anything else related to Kurt and/or Nirvana.

Well, either way, it'll be something to watch this weekend.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I watched it once right when it came out. There were definitely a few interesting points, like the amount of heroin Kurt was shot up with wouldn't allow him the motor functions to physically shoot himself, and especially the way the homicide investigation completely dropped the ball. However, I remember there were things that I felt took away from the legitimacy of Grant's claims, especially some of the dramatization segments with Courtney that was a little *too* over-the-top smear campaign.

For the lulz, some dude asks Billy Corgan if he thinks Courtney killed Kurt (skip to 2:00) :

Billy Corgan did it.

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
Billy Corgan did it.

oUEiMAU.gif

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I would list out some bullet points from this doc that lead me to believe this but jesus its such an overwhelming amount of information I dont know where to start. Actually the fact that Kurt had enough herion in his system to kill even the most hardened heroin user in seconds, never the less be able to stay conscious enough to commit suicide is one, the forged looking suicide note and the evidence of that forgery found in Courtneys belongings being the other super damning piece of evidence for me. Did any of you know that Kurt called his lawyer to have Courtney removed from his will before his last show in Rome? Also that was days before his "accidental overdose" in Rome, which I now believe was Courtney trying to poison him. Please post your opinions on the case or the documentary.

It's a Documentary. All of this could be made up. You don't know if these are real facts, or if they just present them as fact.

That's pretty much what every GMO food documentary does. They make shit up, or they don't report the correct outcome of court findings. They just report the accusations and claims.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
Hated the last documentary that claimed Kurt didn't kill himself (forgot the name, but it came out years ago).
I'll give this one a chance, but I'm sure it'll be more of the same.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
It's a Documentary. All of this could be made up. You don't know if these are real facts, or if they just present them as fact.

Did you even watch it? The guy recorded every phone conversation he had with Courtney, and they're played all throughout the documentary. Unless you're suggesting he found a Courtney impersonator.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Montage of Heck was a bit of a tear jerker, especially the home movies, and all the info about Kurt's life really made me want to go deeper down the rabbit hole so to speak.

Speaking to the validity of documentaries in general, and Cobain in particular, Buzz Osborne from the Melvins has really railed on Montage of Heck in what I think is a pretty meaningful way as he was a High School friend of Cobain and opened for what was to be Nirvana's last show.

http://thetalkhouse.com/music/talks/buzz-osborne-the-melvins-talks/

Osborne said:
90% of Montage of Heck is bullshit.

Osborne said:
I got to see Kurt in creepy home movies...[t]here stands a half-naked Kurt shaving, and right behind his back, his wife is parading around, showing off her naked breasts and pouting to the cameraman, who I知 guessing was Eric Erlandson, ex-Hole guitarist and Courtney痴 former boyfriend. Really? Kurt probably had to deal with horseshit like that on a daily basis. My god, what a super-colossal drag.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
That theory is laughable at best. While Love was a self absorbed, trashy, arrogant, talentless hack of a human...she is no mastermind murderer. The murder of someone as high profiled as Kurt was at the time wouldn't have been an easy task...especially for a burnt out, heroin flogged cunt such as herself.

That theory is laughable at best. While Love was a self absorbed, trashy, arrogant, talentless hack of a human...she is no mastermind murderer. The murder of someone as high profiled as Kurt was at the time wouldn't have been an easy task...especially for a burnt out, heroin flogged cunt such as herself.

Watch the doc, I thought the same thing until I heard from her own mouth just how conniving and underhanded she is. Murdering a drug addict is an easy crime to get away with.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
There have been books and documentaries based on Tom Grant's shit for years. If you wanna say that Courtney contributed to his death by being an awful wife, a junkie and a lousy support network for a guy who desperately needed one, full steam ahead. If you think Courtney Love of all people is a criminal mastermind that fooled the police and forced/paid everyone around her in to silence for over twenty years and the only person who knows the truth is a private investigator who never met Kurt? Yeah no.

Some of Tom Grant's stuff is interesting but most of it is conspiracy theory nonsense easily digested by people who would rather believe an outrageous theory than accept an obvious truth: one of their heroes was a profoundly miserable fuck who had had enough.

Edit: Huh... smoke beat me to it.

WupWuh

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Watched this the other night. The information presented was interesting and new to me. The reenactments were rather corny and that Dylan Carlson casting was way off to boot.

I didn't realize how much heroin was in Kurt's system. Makes it a little hard to believe he could function after that dose.

Marek

Banned
I am always astonished when people say HE HAD TOO MUCH HERRON IN HIS SYSTEM OMG HE COULDN'T HAVE DUNNIT.

haven't any of you actually known a junkie?? Take a crackhead for instance. When you start smoking coke the high is super intense and lasts a long time, for Crack, that is. But once you're hooked you only feel the effects while you have the pipe to your mouth.

Junkie tolerance for heroin is not dissimilar. You hear about junkies going from 20 dollar a day habits to 120 dollar a day habits in mere months, when 120 worth of dope would have surely caused an OD in the unseasoned addict.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I am always astonished when people say HE HAD TOO MUCH HERRON IN HIS SYSTEM OMG HE COULDN'T HAVE DUNNIT.

haven't any of you actually known a junkie?? Take a crackhead for instance. When you start smoking coke the high is super intense and lasts a long time, for Crack, that is. But once you're hooked you only feel the effects while you have the pipe to your mouth.

Junkie tolerance for heroin is not dissimilar. You hear about junkies going from 20 dollar a day habits to 120 dollar a day habits in mere months, when 120 worth of dope would have surely caused an OD in the unseasoned addict.

This wood dweller knows.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I don't know guys - I find it hard to believe that a guy who wrote a song called "I Hate Myself and I Want to Die" would actually commit suicide.

Also, the bass player from Hole was hot.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member

This is true, but they took into account the tolerance a heavy user would have when making that claim. The breakdown of exactly how much shit was in his system was staggering, especially considering it was injected directly into his bloodstream.