So, the Backloggery...

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
If you need a program to keep track of all the games you haven't played but own maybe it's time to slow your roll on buying shit.

Last edited:

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
I personally like the streamlined randomizer they have built into the site. I couldn't care less about tracking what I have or haven't played. The concept is pretty neat though.

Perhaps if you bought more shit and/or played games more you'd care about rolling faster :D

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
It's a great website to keep track of your collection.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
It's a great website to keep track of your collection.

Pretty much what I'm using it for. That and the whole 'fortune cookie' thing. Prior to discovering this, I was just using a text file with my collection on it that I'd feed into a randomizer to keep what I'm playing fresh, but the randomizer function on there is pretty nice and a much better way of doing it.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Prior to discovering this, I was just using a text file with my collection on it that I'd feed into a randomizer to keep what I'm playing fresh, but the randomizer function on there is pretty nice and a much better way of doing it.

That's insane.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
That's insane.

LOL. Perhaps...

It's fun though, as I never really know (outside of organized groups like the SHMUP and BUMP monthlies here) what I am going to play. There's no favoritism in always playing the same games repeatedly with the rest of the collection just collecting dust...everything gets played at some point this way, the law of averages insists upon it. Order brought forth from chaos :D

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Don't hide behind entropy, stop buying and stockpiling crap games just to try them or because they're "not as bad as people say" you silly ass.

Link or list games you own and I will show you the light.

Last edited:

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
I can hardly see why you would fault me for actually enjoying the games that I own in a way that suits both the time available to me as well as the unique circumstances I find myself in. Also, "hiding behind entropy" seems to be looking overly much into things. It never occurred to me that my form of "I like to play games. Yay fun." would/could be somehow twisted into some sort of philosophical slant against my character. I say unto thee, sir: LOL LOLLY LOL.

You play your games (or not..I have no way of proving either way, nor a desire to), and I shall play mine. The how and why is irrelevant, merely the end state that fun was had...and you, sir, seem to be insisting that my way is incapable of sustaining that end state.

I shall have to agree to disagree :)

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I "keep track" of the prices and pressing info of my record collection with an old school excel file. I dig through the physical items almost every day while listening to stuff so I know pretty well what I have... Can't imagine the amounts of stuff you must amass to not even have a general idea of what you own and what you haven't played yet.

The number of video games I own is a lot lower, so there's no need for any kind of documentation.

Last edited:

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
That guy with the 12k count Guinness record for largest game collection comes to mind.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Agreed! I just mentioned him as a possible case for the scenario you envisioned.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
i thought you use the backloggery to keep track of your collection? If you were going through your games more often, you might not have to do that... maybe I'm just misunderstanding.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
The site has a part of it where you click a button and it picks a random game, including any parameters you might have set such as specific system/games you haven't beaten yet/genre/etc, and puts it forth as the suggested title to play. Essentially, that is the function that I am taking advantage of the most. I like the surprise.

"Hmm, what am I going to play today?"
*clicks button*
"Oh, it says Maken X on the Dreamcast. Cool, I haven't touched that one in a while!"
*goes to shelf for game and starts playing*

Does that help explain it a bit better?

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Honestly, this is lost on me. Different people, different circumstances. It's all good.

I can understand this would spice things up a bit in a big collection.

Do you play the game the program selects, even if it's rubbish?

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
In theory, yes, but that would mean that I was making a habit of buying garbage games...something I am loathe to do.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I use it to keep track of what I own, play, and how it was completed (credit feeding, 1cc, etc). Currently, only PCE and Jamma games are on there for me. Pandarr uses that site as well.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I use it to keep track of what I own, play, and how it was completed (credit feeding, 1cc, etc). Currently, only PCE and Jamma games are on there for me. Pandarr uses that site as well.

Yep, I do :D I really need to finish my entries. But it takes so long :( it's also nice to see what your buddies are coming along on their games too! If anyone wants to add me it's kidpanda. Original name huh?

Last edited:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I openly admit to having barely touched a lot of games spanning across the platforms I own. I def. need to slow my roll on buying shit. So much comes out at once... especially when you're into multiple new consoles and discovering games you never played back in the day on the classics. They're all great games though!

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I "keep track" of the prices and pressing info of my record collection with an old school excel file. I dig through the physical items almost every day while listening to stuff so I know pretty well what I have... Can't imagine the amounts of stuff you must amass to not even have a general idea of what you own and what you haven't played yet.

The number of video games I own is a lot lower, so there's no need for any kind of documentation.

I actually do this for both my record collection and my video games. Despite having a general idea on both, I am just about documenting things, plus it makes trading or selling easier when you can quickly look up on the sheet if you still have the instructions for that cart, for example. I still have most of the games I've ever owned since childhood.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Yep, I do :D I really need to finish my entries. But it takes so long :( it's also nice to see what your buddies are coming along on their games too! If anyone wants to add me it's kidpanda. Original name huh?

Yep! I actually stumbled across you when checking out the system stats. I wondered...clicked...and lo and behold, yep, it was. I added you btw :D

I use it to keep track of what I own, play, and how it was completed (credit feeding, 1cc, etc). Currently, only PCE and Jamma games are on there for me.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
bah, I aint gonna let no machine tell me what games to play and when.
I listen to my heart for that!!!
(and sometimes my caulk...)

Excuse me...gonna go play some dead or alive