So is Neo Geo Cup 98 really just Super Sidekicks 5?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
We got Super Sidekicks 4 in 1996, usually with its subtitle "Ultimate 11" front and center. It's almost SNK was getting embarrassed they made so many sequels.

I dunno, Neo Geo Cup 98 sure looks like a Super Sidekicks 5.

Attachments

• 4985-19747.jpg
    4985-19747.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 3
  • NEO_GEO_CUP_98_SS03.jpg
    NEO_GEO_CUP_98_SS03.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 3

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
In any way - it is an awesome series and each time I play it I get the feeling I should buy more "Shoes".
SSK2 was my favorite.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
We got Super Sidekicks 4 in 1996, usually with its subtitle "Ultimate 11" front and center. It's almost SNK was getting embarrassed they made so many sequels.

I dunno, Neo Geo Cup 98 sure looks like a Super Sidekicks 5.
Not a chance. It's a clone of SS3. There's even less changed than you think. Same intro, same music. What the hell's even different? Just teams or something?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Not a chance. It's a clone of SS3. There's even less changed than you think. Same intro, same music. What the hell's even different? Just teams or something?
There are some extra teams and stadiums and a slightly different intro, as I said it's mostly visual, there is no gameplay enhancement or anything. As SNK did not shell out for a FIFA license back then, player names are fictional. You could change them if you really wanted to, tho.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I remember when I first got the cart I was like, "Oh, I'm sure they changed a few things like the intro and some of the music, but the engine is just SS3." But then later on I did a side by side comparison and it's the same f-ing thing! A lazy rom hack basically.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
There are some extra teams and stadiums and a slightly different intro, as I said it's mostly visual, there is no gameplay enhancement or anything. As SNK did not shell out for a FIFA license back then, player names are fictional. You could change them if you really wanted to, tho.
I used to love all the fake nearly-names in unlicensed football games.

I remember International Superstar Soccer had Butatista instead of Batistuta

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I used to love all the fake nearly-names in unlicensed football games.

I remember International Superstar Soccer had Butatista instead of Batistuta
Yeah, sometimes the made-up names are hilarious. SNK tried to make up names that sounded similar, like Hernardo for Hernandez, Wyoming for Wynalda, Cresko for Crespo, etc., some are so bad they're good again.

StevenK

10 Year Member
Yeah, sometimes the made-up names are hilarious. SNK tried to make up names that sounded similar, like Hernardo for Hernandez, Wyoming for Wynalda, Cresko for Crespo, etc., some are so bad they're good again.
They also had a first stab at commentators, who often made no sense. In ISS, again, everytime it went out for a throw-in the commentator would say 'and that's an early bath' :)

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I dont know why, but I get surprised when there is a genuine Neo Geo topic with useful information.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I dont know why, but I get surprised when there is a genuine Neo Geo topic with useful information.

This is the 2nd most informative thread this year, after the one in technical support where we all concluded that the white substance on someone’s MVS board was semen.

Gennosuke

n00b
Like the other said, NGC 98 is just SS3 with another name and new visuals. Nothing else. Played the machine a lot back at the time, during the World Cup. Fun game to waste time.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
It's like a EA update to their sports titles: change very little to SS3 and charge 4x the asking price to have a copy of Ultimate 11 XD

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Sometimes I wonder how many hours you guys put into these games before posting. Neo Cup 98 is vastly superior to SS3 because they toned down the CPU cheats completely, instead of having to look for exploits like in all other neo soccer games to win, you can actually play the game normally and have fun as if you were playing ISSD or FIFA.

Fun fact you won’t see elsewhere (really!): Jikkyou World Soccer: Perfect Eleven, the Japanese version for International Superstar Soccer, just lifts half the player names straight from FIFA 1. There’s even a player called Tianno in the Brazil team, which is impossible to be coincidental as Janco Tianno in FIFA is programmer Jan Tian’s self insert.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Sometimes I wonder how many hours you guys put into these games before posting. Neo Cup 98 is vastly superior to SS3 because they toned down the CPU cheats completely, instead of having to look for exploits like in all other neo soccer games to win, you can actually play the game normally and have fun as if you were playing ISSD or FIFA.
Glad you told me because I don't remember if I ever played it enough to find out.

KGRAMR

Another Striker

Fun fact you won’t see elsewhere (really!): Jikkyou World Soccer: Perfect Eleven, the Japanese version for International Superstar Soccer, just lifts half the player names straight from FIFA 1. There’s even a player called Tianno in the Brazil team, which is impossible to be coincidental as Janco Tianno in FIFA is programmer Jan Tian’s self insert.
Don't forget the legendary Brazilian Alejo XD

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
NGC'98 was just a lazy World Cup cash grab by SNK. I'm suprised they even bothered with a homecart.

Just play SSK3, but squint your eyes really tightly on the title screen... now you're playing NGC'98.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

I didn't put any time into neo cup 98 because at first glance it appeared to be a reskinned SSK3, which I'm not a fan of, and everyone said it was basically the same. But now you're telling me it's the best one?

StevenK

10 Year Member

That's an early bath

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I haven't 1cc'd SS3 yet, never had a prob with the AI, just like I never had a prob with cheating Capcom AIs or summat. I like the SS games and NGC98 and play them every now and then when I want something more substantial than MicroProse Soccer but nothing of that unsightly 3D stuff.

EDIT:

They removed the cheap basterrd part of the AI of SS3 in NGC98 because the latter was a homecart-only release, no MVS or CD. Back then I've read in an arcade magazine that ops weren't too happy with some of SNK's footie games (or footie games in general) because it made people stick too long on the machine. Guess that is why SNK added the cheating thing to SS3 to remedy the problem while they gave buyers of NGC98 a bit more leeway for skill-based play instead of cheap/luck/work-around-a-cheating-CPU style of play.