So I saw Alien Covenant. I am pissed (spoiler free rant)

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Ya, but that doesn't really explain the goo. In the Prometheus intro, the engineer drinks the goo and then goes in the river and is assumed that he spawned the first humans. So why wasn't there an army of humans spouting from all the engineers david dropped the fucking bombs on? Just makes no sense.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I don't remember armies of humans popping up when they dropped the goo in Prometheus. Maybe you should watch it again.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Ya, but that doesn't really explain the goo. In the Prometheus intro, the engineer drinks the goo and then goes in the river and is assumed that he spawned the first humans. So why wasn't there an army of humans spouting from all the engineers david dropped the fucking bombs on? Just makes no sense.

There was a theory that has been spread for years now, that the black goo will take on the character of the host. Because humans are vile, the xenomorph becomes what we see in the movies - insatiable destroyers of life. But the engineers, assuming they are perfect, can trigger a perfect genesis. The reason that engineers got wiped out was probably because of human contact with the goo.

Pasky

There was a theory that has been spread for years now, that the black goo will take on the character of the host. Because humans are vile, the xenomorph becomes what we see in the movies - insatiable destroyers of life. But the engineers, assuming they are perfect, can trigger a perfect genesis. The reason that engineers got wiped out was probably because of human contact with the goo.

Interesting. It's a shame things like this have to rely on speculation now seeing as how they don't seem to want to explain this, probably because they don't know the answer themselves which is why they took this cheap way out of explaining anything. But then again, no one actually becomes a xenomorph when they're exposed to the goo.

In Prometheus, Halloway was turning into something but it wasn't a Xenomorph, Fifield turned into some zombie like maniac. The Xenomorph came from Dr. Shaw's black goo baby with Halloway but only after it infected the engineer that chased her.

I'm assuming the Xenomorphs from the spores on the engineer home planet in Covenant is from David's tampering. Also the worms that were exposed to the goo in Prometheus just became giant killer worms with enormous strength. Dunno, doesn't seem to be any sort of solid explanation you can nail on it. It's just quite puzzling that at the beginning its used to create life, but later on they're developing it as a weapon on that distant planet.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Interesting. It's a shame things like this have to rely on speculation now seeing as how they don't seem to want to explain this, probably because they don't know the answer themselves which is why they took this cheap way out of explaining anything. But then again, no one actually becomes a xenomorph when they're exposed to the goo.

In Prometheus, Halloway was turning into something but it wasn't a Xenomorph, Fifield turned into some zombie like maniac. The Xenomorph came from Dr. Shaw's black goo baby with Halloway but only after it infected the engineer that chased her.

I'm assuming the Xenomorphs from the spores on the engineer home planet in Covenant is from David's tampering. Also the worms that were exposed to the goo in Prometheus just became giant killer worms with enormous strength. Dunno, doesn't seem to be any sort of solid explanation you can nail on it. It's just quite puzzling that at the beginning its used to create life, but later on they're developing it as a weapon on that distant planet.

You got it. Besides that, explaining things in movies is not something you really want. Controversial theories make for a better post movie dialogue. Marvel movies over-explain everything, and no one really wants to talk about what was explored in the last X-Men movie. But like, I can totally talk about Prometheus.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
The series ends with Alien 3 as far as I'm concerned. I thought Promethius was utter garbage even after a determined re-watch.

I think Alien 3 is a real slow burner and a worthy part of the trilogy. The funeral scene at the beginning is worth the price of entry alone.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The series ends with Alien 3 as far as I'm concerned. I thought Promethius was utter garbage even after a determined re-watch.

I think Alien 3 is a real slow burner and a worthy part of the trilogy. The funeral scene at the beginning is worth the price of entry alone.

Prometheus needed a second part. The last part of the movie was great, but left a lot of questions.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think Scott should have had a few Alien experts to double check everything. That would have probably helped a lot. I remember hearing about a few details being missed in Star Wars and a crew member had to add it or something. So directors nowadays should just swallow their pride and double check everything to enhance the viewer experience.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Prometheus needed a second part. The last part of the movie was great, but left a lot of questions.

I enjoyed Prometheus. I just wished they did the beginning differently since everyone I know that said they hated it totally missed what was going on behind the opening credits.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
On the one hand, I think it's kind of ballsy to abandon the direction and design of Prometheus, as well as the story it was telegraphing...

On the other hand, I think it's kind of lame they abandoned the direction and design of Prometheus, as well as the story it was telegraphing...

Still, I give this movie an 8/10 for being a big-budget sci-fi movie in 2017 that looked awesome and didn't have to bend over to China (Arrival... and probly Blade Runner 2) or focus groups in order to get released.

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,

The Engineers already met the xenomorph.

alien_giger_big.jpg

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Yes it was known to them from awhile because it was in the mural on the ship in Prometheus.

Pasky

That mural also makes Covenant even more ridiculous because it was supposedly David that modified them to be using eggs and evolving from chest bursters.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
That mural also makes Covenant even more ridiculous because it was supposedly David that modified them to be using eggs and evolving from chest bursters.

Yeah...of all of the failures that covenant has...that is the single largest, and most useless point. There is zero reason for that entire plot line.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member

I will have to wait to see the movie before figuring that part out. But one thing that a lot of people seem to latch onto with movies is that only what is seen is what exists and nothing else (unless explained) is possible to be correct. So I can say already that just because David had done whatever experimenting doesn't explain away the events of past movies. Because even if a movie does goof something up, we already know it is not possible that he started that type of thing or was the first to do whatever because we have seen the eggs in the past. Even if you don't count AVP.

But all of this was probably why they kept saying Prometheus was not a sequel or prequel to anything. Its more like Expanded Universe type material.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Pity the poor wiki editors who try to explain it all in retrospect.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

The mural is kind of stupid. I love Giger's technique, but that mural is stupid. For a lot of reasons actually, but mostly because the engineers are all wearing masks. It was okay in the first movie, because maybe the engineer had been infected before the helmet was put on. But like, one would expect that the engineers would make stronger helmets to withstand the xenomorphs.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
The mural is kind of stupid. I love Giger's technique, but that mural is stupid. For a lot of reasons actually, but mostly because the engineers are all wearing masks. It was okay in the first movie, because maybe the engineer had been infected before the helmet was put on. But like, one would expect that the engineers would make stronger helmets to withstand the xenomorphs.

That was painted pre-production to the first Alien. At least I thought before seeing Prometheus that the Space Jockey's race had those bio-mechanical Elephant faces.

Pasky

Well, the mural in Prometheus has the Xenomorph

7691786250_9a8f27a6ed_b.jpg

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I really feel that Covenant will go down as Star Wars Ep I....a "well...just ignore that one" kind of deal. SW Ep I had the whole stupid and useless midi-chlorian shit that completely fucks over the entire idea of the force, Covenant has the whole absurd "David created the alien" crap that wrecks the entire timeline.

Pasky

I really feel that Covenant will go down as Star Wars Ep I....a "well...just ignore that one" kind of deal. SW Ep I had the whole stupid and useless midi-chlorian shit that completely fucks over the entire idea of the force, Covenant has the whole absurd "David created the alien" crap that wrecks the entire timeline.

Ya, I'm hoping for that. I'd be down if they just retconned it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I can't be the only one more curious about the engineers than the alien at this point