so i played KOF 2003

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
my thoughts exactly, firebomber.

when I said that combos do less damage now, I was comparing between combos in 2003 and combos in previous KOFs. not between combos and single hits.

my point was that you won't need to pull big combos that are tricky, and use a lot of power stocks. like these combos for example:

Terry:

close C ....... f/d D ........ hcf D ....... f f D ....[cancel].... qcf x2 D

(instead of wasting 2 power stocks with super canceling, I would rather finish the combo with another [f f D])

another example is K'. He almost doesn't need to use combos at all (though his new [qcf x2 D] DM takes a lot of damage).

but characters like Benimaru, Duo lon and Iori still have very useful, easy to use combos.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
wow. I had no idea Kyo was so powerful in 2003. unlike in 2002, his standard combo [close C .... qcf C .... hcb C .... f C .... dp C] is very powerful.

any tips on how too use him effectivly? as I nearly stopped using him completly since KOF 2000.

valenti

Mr. Big's Thug
He has 2 hard combos:
C, qcf+d,d, hcb+b, qcf+a, qcf+a, a or b either works
C, qcf+d,d, qcf+c, hcb+c, fwd+c, dp+c

Both must be done in corner/near corner, repsectively.

He can C, qcf+d,d, hcb+b, tag attack, leaving you an air combo. Suitable for Gato, Yuri, Robert, Chang, and any others with air combo compatibility.

Also, dwn b, dwn a, qcf+b,b is probably better than dwn a, dwnfwd+d (cant add a dwn b or else the last dwnfwd+d wont connect)

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
nice tips. great stuff, valenti. thanks :)

any more tips on gameplay? anti-air attacks, how to make use of his super moves/attacks, best ways to counter .... etc. (I play mainly against Iori, Duo lon, Tizoc, King, Malin and Yamaziki)

I go to arcade only once a week. that's why I hardly get a chance to learn learn some gameplay details (not to mention that the game has been there for only 2 weeks). I learn the most from others' gamelay, but no one there uses Kyo.

valenti

Mr. Big's Thug
물론이죠. :buttrock:

I didn't hear her newest one though..but about gameplay..hmm. Well, Kyo's LDM is a great counter. It can even connect *most of the time* against jumping foes. Insanely fast, say, if Yamazaki ever did that dp+c against you, after blocking, do the LDM.

His qcf+a is a pretty good defensive move. Good surprise move too, since it comes out quick as well.

His DP+C is good for incoming jumpers, tag attacks. (Not the initial qcf+BC, but when the partner comes in)

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
thanks. that was very helpful indeed :)

I'll check all that next time I go to play.