so i played KOF 2003

El_Duque

Andy's Clothess,
so i tried out KOF 2003 when i was in the philippines. so i picked jhun, kim, and K. than this guy comes in and picks K, iori, and duo lon. this guy kicked my ass using straight up combos. like he starts off with duo lon and does a combo, during the middle of the combo, he switches out to iori, and does the qcbx3, switches back to duo lon, repeats his combo with duo lon until he breaks until guard crush, repeats the same combo, switches back to iori during the combo and does the DM where he slashes you and does that purple geyser (sorry forgot the name) and im dead.

sorry but if this is how to play KOF 2003 with straight-up MVC combo types than im lost as hell and im losing faith in the KOF series.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Dou lon is the only character that can connect an offensive tag in the middle of a combo. therefore, he's banned from most KOF 2003 tournaments. (an offensive tag is when a character hits the opponent, leaving him open for a partner to perform a combo).

the game is fun if you learn how to use these offensive tags. the good part is that they have priority over most of the other attacks in the game, which reminds me of KOF 2000 strikers. this time, however, the combos are not as much distructive as they were in KOF 2000. beside, the offemsive tags can't be done in the middle of a combo (except for Dou lon's case)

they also added a great deal of new combos. try using Terry. he is fun to use in this game (he has a 3-hits combo similar to Iori's qcb C x3)

Last edited:

El_Duque

Andy's Clothess,
k'_127 said:
Dou lon is the only character that can connect an offensive tag in the middle of a combo. therefore, he's baned from most KOF 2003 tournaments. (an offensive tag is when a character hits an opponent, leaving him open for a partner to perform a combo).

the game is fun if you learn how to use these offensive tags. the good part is that they have priority over most of the other attacks in the game, which reminds us with KOF 2000 strikers. this time, however, the combos are not as much distructive as they were in KOF 2000. beside, they can't be done in the middle of a combo (except for Dou lon's case)

they also added a great dwal of new combos. try using Terry. he is fun to use in this game (he has a 3-hits combo similar to Iori's qcb C x3)

now you tell me. so dou lon is nothing more than a combo crazy freak. i have a feeling he will be toned down in future KOF if he is brought back.

characters like that make the game less fun, especially when someone knows how to use it to their advantage.

i think ill stick with 2002 as the last KOF im playing.

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I, too, prefer KOF2002. but we played it to death at our arcade (we had been playing it for more than a year, before we got 2003).

KOF 2003 offers a lot of new things to learn. at least, the gameplay is much much better than I expected. I'm starting to getting used to the new combo timings and game's speed.

trust me. I hated the game at the beginning, but now I think like it. just give it a fair chance and start playing with others at the same level of gameplay as yours. and as I said before, try the offensive tags and the new combos.

Last edited:

El_Duque

Andy's Clothess,
roninbuddha said:
yo, where in the philippines are ya?
im from there too...

sorry im back in the states already, i played it at SM north edsa because that was the place i first saw KOF 2003 and it was the place where i first saw KOF 2000 back when in was there in 2000.

ive notice no one played 2003 except for that dude that kicked my ass when i played there. everyone was stuck playing 2001 and 2002 because everyone was playing those every at arcade i went to.

Eliza

Mickey's Coach
roninbuddha said:
yo, where in the philippines are ya?
im from there too...

So your in the Philippines also...? Where? Played the AES version of KOF 2003

roninbuddha

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
im in fairview QC, but i usually play arcades at robinsons galleria, and play kof2k3 on sm megamall or sm fairview

Eliza

Mickey's Coach
roninbuddha said:
im in fairview QC, but i usually play arcades at robinsons galleria, and play kof2k3 on sm megamall or sm fairview

I stay sa Corinthian Gardens Qc...

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I don't have much trouble with Duo. I think people should watch out for Tizoc, Ash & Benimaru, more then any other characters.

Guard crush is a major dissapointment in 2003 because you can start a seemingly endless chain of annoyance.
Ala robert/kyo.

valenti

Mr. Big's Thug
Characters with the best tag attacks are probably Kyo, Duolon, Iori (to start the duolon infinite)..cant think of anyone else really.

I think most characters are decent enough to play professionally. Even Maxima. (no joke)

If anyone living in US with a broadband connection feel like playing KOF2003 on Kaillera?

Don't ask for roms, but if you need the emulator pm me.

Last edited:

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
Eliza said:
Whats a good "newbie" line-up?
Thanks!!!
For most every KOF game: Kyo, Ryo, Terry. But being able to play as Iori won't hurt you either.

firebomber

Astra Superstar
Lord Wolfgang Krauser said:
I don't have much trouble with Duo. I think people should watch out for Tizoc, Ash & Benimaru, more then any other characters.

Guard crush is a major dissapointment in 2003 because you can start a seemingly endless chain of annoyance.
Ala robert/kyo.

Duo will always be dangerous because of his mixups no matter what counter character you pick. Tiz, Ash and Beni are all monsters and are easy to play as well.

Agree about the gaurd crush. CD counters have never been more important than in 2k3.

valenti said:
If anyone living in US with a broadband connection feel like playing KOF2003 on Kaillera?
Send me an instant message if you ever want to play. I'm always up for a match. AIM is firebomber SNK

laurie

Zero's Tailor
Could somebody post the duolon combos as Im having trouble comboing into his offensive tag. I can only seem to get it to hit on a juggled oponent and once the tagged in charactor lands I cant connect anything on the juggled fella.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
firebomber said:
Duo will always be dangerous because of his mixups no matter what counter character you pick. Tiz, Ash and Beni are all monsters and are easy to play as well.

Agree about the gaurd crush. CD counters have never been more important than in 2k3.

Send me an instant message if you ever want to play. I'm always up for a match. AIM is firebomber SNK

Yeah, I seriously hate being forced to CD crush those awful guard crush chains.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
laurie said:
Could somebody post the duolon combos as Im having trouble comboing into his offensive tag. I can only seem to get it to hit on a juggled oponent and once the tagged in charactor lands I cant connect anything on the juggled fella.

haha. I made a thread not too long ago to ask about the exact same thing.

- here is the dou lon combo:

qcf C ...... f D ....... qcb C ....... offensive tag [qcf B+C]

- as for juggles, I still haven't found good ways to follow them up, other than a normal punch or kick.

Last edited:

laurie

Zero's Tailor
Chears k'_127, Now your talking duolon combo, ofensive tag to iori, oniyaki, super cancel to san shinigi no ni. Dead.

laurie

Zero's Tailor
Ive been trying it in practice mode, does the shiryou hassei kin cancel into the offensive tag? It seems a little slow, or does it stun the opponent for a fraction of a second? I can get all the moves of but is this combo actually practical or can it be broken?

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
laurie said:
Ive been trying it in practice mode, does the shiryou hassei kin cancel into the offensive tag? It seems a little slow, or does it stun the opponent for a fraction of a second? I can get all the moves of but is this combo actually practical or can it be broken?

no it doesn't cancel it. just wait till Duo recovers from the last attack (takes nearly 60 seconds) and then perform the offensive tag. the timing is pretty easy, but seems odd.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
k'_127 said:
the game is fun if you learn how to use these offensive tags. the good part is that they have priority over most of the other attacks in the game, which reminds me of KOF 2000 strikers. this time, however, the combos are not as much distructive as they were in KOF 2000. beside, the offemsive tags can't be done in the middle of a combo (except for Dou lon's case)

I can't believe that I missed a very important point about the offensive tags:

- they are very fast to pull. maybe as fast as a weak attack or even faster!

here is a good example: if you block Shen's [qcf x2 C] and then tried to counter, he can pull another [qcf x2 C], leaving you no chance to hit him. however, if you use an offensive tag in that case, you'll be able to hit him and you'll get a free combo for the partner. other good situations where you can use them are:

- after Yamazaki's [dp C] move where he keeps hitting with his knife

- after Iori's qcb C x3

- when you're cornered by Ksunagi and while he keeps throwing his projectile (if you try to counter normally, he will do a dragon punch)

I can't think of any more speciefic examples, but I'm sure there are tons of them.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I also noticed that aside from Duo lon, you will not propebly need to do any combos at all. single hits do a lot of damage here. and for some odd reasons, combos aren't as effective as they were in previous KOFs. they do less damage now. throw some kicks and punches here and there, counter with offensive tags, and that's it. you can win easily by doing so.

firebomber

Astra Superstar
k'_127 said:
I also noticed that aside from Duo lon, you will not propebly need to do any combos at all. single hits do a lot of damage here. and for some odd reasons, combos aren't as effective as they were in previous KOFs. they do less damage now. throw some kicks and punches here and there, counter with offensive tags, and that's it. you can win easily by doing so.
Depends on the character.
Combos do less damage because 2k3 has a damage scaling system where the more hits in the combo, the less damage they do. This hurts some characters badly, like Kusanagi. Some characters it doesn't hurt them at all, like Daimon.
Since command throws and L/DM throws don't have scaling on them grapplers won't even notice a difference.

Combos are still important. Combos do more damage than a stray kick or punch in most cases. You're not going to easily win against a good player without decent combos (besides a few characters).

laurie

Zero's Tailor
So with the damage scaling are super cancels worth using? Like with ash if you do his d,u k then cancel into qcf,qcf k will it do more damage than just the dm on its own? Can it be enough to warrant using up an extra power par which could be used for an ofencive tag or another dm?

firebomber

Astra Superstar
Super cancelling will do more damage than the super on it's own... but a lot of times it's not much more. That's why usually people opt to save the stock because it has better uses for tagging and cd counters.

That said, some characters have great super cancels like benimaru. His supercancel combos do almost as much damage as his LDM and are easy to pull off of just a cB which is a big reason why he's so deadly.

But yeah 90% of the time supercancels are not worth what they cost in meter.