So I bought Star Wars Squadrons

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I played it once on GamePass and it was ok.

But I found a $16 key on CDKeys, bought it and installed it with the intent to play it in VR. (I just have an oculus quest 2) Boot it up, and the game tells me it doesn't support the quest VR controllers.

what.

You have to play it with a mouse/keyboard, game pad, or if you're a rich kid like HDRChampion, you can build a flight sim rig using a HOTAS.

So that was $16 wasted. Is it my fault? Definitely, for not researching. But I mean... if you make a VR game, why would you make it incompatible with the control scheme in VR? That's like buying God of War for PS5 and it telling you it only supports PS1 non-dual shock controllers.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You are probably better off with a controller. I played it with a HOTAS, but you need a lot of quick movements if you want to get competetive.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
That's messed up...you're probably one of many that got burned like that too!
I can't even stomach this gaming generation...
BB

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
So I played it with the xbone controller I have and I have to admit it's quite playable. I dont think Id be able to play more than 30 minutes or so. That's about my cap time with VR, even in Alyx, or a puzzle game.

I would like to experience it with a HOTAS but I don't have the money for a good one, much less the room to put the thing in my tiny office.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The hotas controls are remarkably similar to Elite Dangerous. Actually, most of the flight and system controls are copied from that game in Squadrons. Not a bad thing. Very intuitive if you are from that game. There's plenty of games that can use the hotas. Worth the investment.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I can imagine it's probably fun, but I've never really been big on flight sims. Used to play Descent like a motherfucker when it was new with my trusty $20 Thrustmaster FCS lol, and I always really liked Sega Strike Fighter, but other than that it just wouldn't be a good investment for me.

Definitely would like to try it sometime tho.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
That's messed up...you're probably one of many that got burned like that too!
I can't even stomach this gaming generation...
BB
I haven't given a shit about current gen gaming in 15 years. The shit just keeps getting shittier.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
So I played a bit more of this in VR using my XBOne controller and.... it was pretty fun. I like that you feel like you're in the cockpit but I do wish it was more VR-ish, hitting switches, moving your hands, etc. But either way, pretty cool once I got the controls down a bit. I tried with a mouse and keyboard in VR and while it was definitely workable, it felt really clunky and flying was really erratic. Like you sort of have to point the mouse pointer down (or up, left etc) and THEN the ship will move that way.

With the controller, you just move like normal. Im sure it was a setting somewhere but I cant seem to find out where it is. Still tho, pretty fun.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’ll get in to VR when Capcom rereleases Steel Battalion w/ the controller.