SNK, Buriki One, and timeless principles of design...

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I don't have it lying around to scan, but there was at least one issue of Japan's GAMEST magazine from the Spring of 2000 that ran a column discussing the potential of a couple SNK arcade titles being ported to Dreamcast and being enabled for online multiplayer, namely: Real Bout 2, Metal Slug 3, Last Blade 2, Garou MotW, Buriki One, Samurai Spirits 2: Asura Zanmaden, & Off Beat Racer/Xtreme Rally. 2 or 3 additional puzzle & STG games were cited as candidates as well, but I forgot 'em.

I could have sworn it was established sometime during the prior decade in a few SNK staffer interviews that the original source code for all of the extant HNG64 software was irretrievably lost following the 2001 bankruptcy.

Now the dreamcast is a whole different story. I remember being hyped AF at the prospect of the dreamcast becoming a viable system for (at the time) modern neo geo titles and ports. It was actually the lack of a Real Bout 2 port that finally galvanized me into to finally buying an AES and the game. A shame the dreamcast didn't receive more SNK titles apart from motw, lb2, and kof. Upgraded hng64 titles would have been a great fit for the console imho.

I support Blackanese Ninja because he's really cool and nice.

*hugs*

You would be correct. But it makes me SO HAPPY to know that what I say chaps so many asses.

*manly fist bump*

I really wish I could play this game actually, it looks unique. I don't think I've ever played a game like this unless Bushido Blade is in any way comparable.

It has a learning curve, but the gameplay is very rewarding once you get into the groove imho. Although Bushido Blade is a great game in its own right, Buriki One plays more like...hrm...maybe a mixed martial arts version of the older Fight Night games? I wasn't a big fan of Fight Night, but it's hard to compare Buriki One to many other modern titles due to how much the game can actually change depending on the character you are using. Part boxing, part wrestling, part mma. There can be a lot going on in a match. Once you settle on a favorite character, it can be a blast to simply choose another and try to relearn the game/re-adjust playstyles.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Man, I've been away for a while, but I wasn't aware that you were the arbiter of what is officially an SNK/Neo Geo topic on the "General Discussion," forum. /s

So, BlackaneseNINJA, a newer member, has posted on topic, well thought out observations on a Neo Geo/SNK platform in the proper forum, and you come in here swingin' your dick like you know what's best for the place? Really!?!

Seriously, check your shit. I fucking hate this kind of bullshit. If you wanna knock down posts, which I see you do very often, you can go have a ball in the War Room, but if I continue to see this kind of crap you're gonna get stuffed in there involuntarily.

Contribute. Disagreement is still contribution, provided it isn't wrapped in a shit sandwich. So unwrap your shit, loosen the fuck up, and quit thinking you run the place. Because you don't.

QFT

my "ignore" list is getting longer every day.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
the more of this HNG64 stuff comes up, the more I want to get one just to check out the games... thanks for the topic OP.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Love/Hate it.

I've passed it through my collection a few times. It feels somewhat unfinished to me or maybe it just misses the mark...

The controls may be goofy, but what I have never understood is: WHY THE HELL DON'T YOU JUST SWITCH THE CABLES IN YOUR CAB?

I did it and it made it a little more "accessible"

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
the more of this HNG64 stuff comes up, the more I want to get one just to check out the games... thanks for the topic OP.

The games are general black and white.. no one "kinda likes" the 64 games, really.

The SS games are great, if you can dismiss the goofy camera angles and somewhat primitive 3d.

Half the library is "unplayable" because it consists of driving games and gun games, which are exceptionally hard to locate in working condition.