SNES collectors/players thread

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Well yeah I love it. My favorite system of all time. Seems everyone has the bases covered, but here's some good ones not yet mentioned:

Aerobiz Series
Bike Daisuki!
Biker Mice From Mars
BS Out of Bounds Golf
Cotton
Cu-On-Pa
Firemen
Ghoul Patrol
Iron Commando
Lost Vikings Series
Prehistorik Man
Rendering Ranger R2
Saturday Night Slam Masters
Street Racer
Super Back To The Future II
Super Buster Brothers
Sutte Hakkun
Undercover Cops
Waku Waku Ski Wonder Shoot
Zero The Kamikaze Squirrel

All of these are worth a play through. My favorite thing about SNES is I can find something to love in almost any game on the console. So much love. Too bad prices on some many titles have gone through the roof.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Same. It is still far and away my favorite brawler.

It was one of the fist "beat em up +" titles. There was the fun ass kicking but they threw in some light RPG elements and side distractions that really made the game shine. It was one title where I never minded backtracking.

It is easily one my "once a year" hit list. The GBA remake is also pretty good BTW...

Well yeah I love it. My favorite system of all time. Seems everyone has the bases covered, but here's some good ones not yet mentioned:

Aerobiz Series
Bike Daisuki!
Biker Mice From Mars
BS Out of Bounds Golf
Cotton
Cu-On-Pa
Firemen
Ghoul Patrol
Iron Commando
Lost Vikings Series
Prehistorik Man
Rendering Ranger R2
Saturday Night Slam Masters
Street Racer
Super Back To The Future II
Super Buster Brothers
Sutte Hakkun
Undercover Cops
Waku Waku Ski Wonder Shoot
Zero The Kamikaze Squirrel

All of these are worth a play through. My favorite thing about SNES is I can find something to love in almost any game on the console. So much love. Too bad prices on some many titles have gone through the roof.

This is why I'm just about to walk away from carts...I'll land up with an everdrive or cracking my Retron5 and I'll probably sell much of my SNES stuff.

It sucks these games are getting so expensive...there are so many people that will miss out on some masterpieces simply because the carts are fetching $75-100+ online.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
One game I haven't seen yet is firestriker. Arkanoid type game in a medieval setting, fun and novel for its time.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
The lack of love for Metal Warriors is disturbing...that game kicked all sorts of ass.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The lack of love for Metal Warriors is disturbing...that game kicked all sorts of ass.

I had to look that one up because I've never heard of it...it was a late SNES release (according to Wiki Apr 1995). By that time in the life of the SNES, I was in full "I love the Playstation!!!!" mode. If I ever get into emulation, I'll have to look that one up. It seems a used cart goes for the GNP of a small island nation.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
smokehouse said:
The GBA remake is also pretty good BTW...

Seems like the only thing it adds is the long chain whip and a confusing save system. Still worth it.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent

I remember chilling in a movie time (video rental store) and playing metal warriors split screen. When I got my sd2snes it was one of the first games I loaded up.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Seems like the only thing it adds is the long chain whip and a confusing save system. Still worth it.

I haven't played it through in a few years...but I remember it being more than that. The game is "remixed" a bit and the updated graphics are a nice touch. You can play as other characters or gain their powers (I remember the "slick trick" being a near god-mode ability).

That damn save system was confusing. Once you were used to it, it was ok and FAR better than the absolutely abysmal password NES system (holy shit...those passwords were so damn bad...so bad I would just leave my NES on non-stop when I was in a RCR run).

totoro

X>2, (He is so wrong -Ed),
Some many great and unique games for the best console of all time.
How can you pick only one?Impossible...

My favorites are:
Actraiser
Chrono trigger
Earthbound
Hagane
Shadowrun
and of course Super mario world!

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
^^Loses market privileges, spams unrelated in a vain attempt to get them back.

To add a few not mentioned:

Mega Man 7
Rock Man and Forte (looks like a PS1 game...still amazes me to this day)
Terranigma

And, I'd just like to echo Demon's Crest, even though it's been mentioned. Huge fan of Firebrand and Gargoyle's Quest since the original on Game Boy...which is my favorite game ever, BTW.

Jon

Spamming is pointless, Jon. It's a case by case basis.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
The SNES has a wealth of great games. I grew up on the console so many of the games stick with me to this day
TMNT:tournament fighters
king of the monster 2
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy IV
Axlay
UN Squadron
Just to name a few

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
SNES is boss. Here are some of my favorites.

Mega Man X 1-3
Rockman and Forte
Super Double Dragon
Super Castlevania IV
Chronotrigger
Secret Of Mana
LOZ: Link to the Past
Final Fight 3
Live A Live
KI
Legend Of The Mystical Ninja
Final Fantasy III/VI
Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure
Rock N' Roll Racing
Sim City
StarFox
Super Metroid

I could keep going on forever.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy will always go down in my mind as the "game the might have been". It really wasn't all that great, it always seems like a rush job that they just popped out. I've always wanted a copy of it but good lord, it has always been an expensive cart to get and I've never come across one in the wild. It must not have sold well.

I thought the BGM of Ninja Gaiden Trilogy was way worse than the original NES carts. Gave it away not thinking what kind of price it could have fetched today.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
B.O.B.

Rinsed that game as a kiddy.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I thought the BGM of Ninja Gaiden Trilogy was way worse than the original NES carts. Gave it away not thinking what kind of price it could have fetched today.

As a big tyme fan of the NES NG set...I would have picked it up as a completion type of thing. I'm really not a fan of it truth be told. I understand its probably a low production cart, but I really can't get the $$ it fetches. Do they people try the ROM before they buy? If so you'd think that anyone in their right mind wouldn't drop $100+ for such a mediocre effort...especially when you can pick up NG I-III online for under $100.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Spamming is pointless, Jon. It's a case by case basis.

IIRC, Vanillathunder also said that he was also looking for quality of posts. Hate to tell you, bud, but, you're not quite there yet.

Jon

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
The SNES/Super Famicom ruled; great system/games and well-designed controller!

My favorites from the 98 cartridges in my collection:

Actraiser
Axelay
Contra III: The Alien Wars
Doom
Gradius III
Fatal Fury Special
Judge Dredd (a rare movie tie-in game that doesn't suck, and it even has bonus comic book levels with the Dark Judges--the developers cared, and it shows)
Justice League Task Force
King of Dragons (Capcom's D&D-inspired sidescrolling brawler before they actually got the D&D license)
Killer Instinct
Mega Man 7
Mega Man X
Mega Man X3
Mortal Kombat II
Populous (I NEVER get tired of this game, ever)
Samurai Shodown
Space Megaforce
Sparkster
Starfox
Street Fighter 2: Turbo
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (some people say this port sucks, I say they're crazy)
Super Castlevania IV
Super Empire Strikes Back
Super R-Type
Super Return of the Jedi
Super Valis IV (yeah, I know it's messed up compared to the PCE CD version, but I don't care)
TMNT Tournament Fighters (how this turned out so awesome, and the Genesis version so bad, is mind boggling)
Weaponlord
Wildsnake
World Heroes
World Heroes 2

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
TMNT Tournament Fighters (how this turned out so awesome, and the Genesis version so bad, is mind boggling)

Ah man the memories ! I could never beat Rat king. I remember when my brother beat him and got to Karai and the fight is on top of a train. that shit was legendary.

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
IIRC, Vanillathunder also said that he was also looking for quality of posts. Hate to tell you, bud, but, you're not quite there yet.

Jon

I'm doing my best in a language that is not my mother tongue, I'm sorry to disappoint you or other members with my posts, but I thought this was (paraphrasing Vanillathunder again) "an active community of members focused on enjoying retro-gaming, lively discussion and trolling people for dick pics and plane tickets", so that's why I'm here, to enjoy retro-gaming and have a nice time.

Steering on-topic, today I've discovered that Metal Warriors is a US exclusive, bad for me with my SFC. A nice thing about US SNES is it can play japanese imports just breaking two pieces of plastic.

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
i've a bunch of SNES favorites, but SUPER METROID and SECRET OF MANA have to top them all easy.

several years ago, my MANA's backup battery failed, and i managed to replace it with the coin battery harness off an old PC motherboard;

SoMbatteryreplacement.jpg

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
i've a bunch of SNES favorites, but SUPER METROID and SECRET OF MANA have to top them all easy.

several years ago, my MANA's backup battery failed, and i managed to replace it with the coin battery harness off an old PC motherboard;

SoMbatteryreplacement.jpg

They make battery holder that fit perfectly. I use SMD CR2032 holders. Look for a seller on eBay by the name of Wonderco based in singapore. He is the cheapest seller.

Too many good games to list. So I will list some of the more obscure games I love.

Pieces
Rendering Ranger R2
Arcana
Lufia 2
Skyblazer
Kendo Rage
Terranigma
Brain Lord
Spike McFang
Super Adventure Island II
Metal Warriors

not obscure but secret of mana and final fantasy IV and VI have to be mentioned again. Both of which are in my top 10 of all time probably. The first RPG I ever played was final fantasy 1, but final fantasy 2/IV was the first RPG that blew my mind in jr high, and made me a die hard RPG fan to this day. And Secret of Mana, Landstalker, and Wonder Boy in Monster World made me a Action RPG fanatic. I remember traveling back and forth between Blockbuster video and the flea market one weekend in jr high buying nes and snes games and reselling them to the guy at the flea market for profit and picking up a SNES with Final Fantasy II, and a Turbografx with Dungeon Explorer both in the same day. I turned one week of lunch money into those 2 consoles with about 5 treks in very cold, deep snowy weather, probably about 1.5 mile round trip walking just to get those 2 consoles. The guy just kept saying "where are you getting this stuff from?" and I just kept bringing it. I guess he didn't noticethe blockbuster stickers.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member

Yeah, that's pretty much spot on from what I remember. It's amazing that the SNES of all systems can have a worse soundtrack than the NES version.