SMB3 on 3DS - WTF?!

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I'll just start of by saying that I regard SMB3 as one if perhaps not the finest video game ever made. I still play it pretty regularly to this today, mainly on the SNES (the All Stars compilation). Seeing that the game was available on the Nintendo eShop I decided to pull the trigger - what a big fcuking disappointment that turned out to be.

Just to be clear on this, my expectations were very modest - just wanted a game that was true to the NES original; wasn't expecting any Sega 3D Classics style improvements. What I got was a pile shit.

Don't even know where to start with this:
- the scrolling is glitch as hell, particularly on the right hand side of the screen
- the left side has a permanent vertical over scan style bar - pretty ugly and distracting
- now for the worst part - the music. This is so totally off the classic tunes of the original its just brings pain to the ears listening to it. In addition the music cuts out when certain sound effects occur
- movement etc. is also off - it seems that they really used some very bad emulation

In all honesty, I much prefer the game via an emulator on my Samsung Galaxy phone. Sure there are obvious control considerations due to the touch screen but the 3DS is not perfect in this regard either since the digital dpad is too the bottom and not that comfortable to use as the analogue pad, but other than that it just plays, looks and sound so much better than this sorry excuse of a port.

I shut the game off after about 5 minutes and hope to never have to play it again. Now enjoying a glass of 101 proof Kentucky bourbon to calm the nerves - a very good weekend to all :cool:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Have you ever played the game on a real NES?

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member

First time around 1989 on a friends Famicom, then had it on NES when it was officially released in UK. Played the NES version more times then I care to remember, also played the NES rom on various emulators since I always preferred the original graphics to the pimped up All Stars compilation.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Most of what you describe is in the real game, I just looked up a video of SMB3 3DS and the audio sounds correct as well.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Most of what you describe is in the real game, I just looked up a video of SMB3 3DS and the audio sounds correct as well.

Absolutely not to the extent it appears in this port. In all honesty only those who have downloaded the 3DS version should be commenting - I watched the YT videos also before purchasing and these seemed fine to me also, hence the disappointment.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet

I seriously have to second this. I regularly play SMB3 in both OG format, and on my 3DS. They're the same thing. For fun and sake of argument, I just popped my cart in and played it and my 3DS version in tandem for the first 3 levels. The visuals and audio was the same. I'm thinking you got too used to playing it on an emulator, as most of em fix things like the overscan, and righthand screen caching.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Now, the real thing to be bitching about is the button placement for NES games on the 3ds. Y u no let me remap?

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Absolutely not to the extent it appears in this port. In all honesty only those who have downloaded the 3DS version should be commenting - I watched the YT videos also before purchasing and these seemed fine to me also, hence the disappointment.

Stay away from the Mega Man games as they also have the screen caching "issue".

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The All Stars compilation SNES version is actually the odd man out here with improved graphics and sound over the original.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I wish they'd put SNES' Super Mario World on 3DS.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Now, the real thing to be bitching about is the button placement for NES games on the 3ds. Y u no let me remap?

YES, WTF Nintendo WTF?!

Also SMB NES is the best Mario hands down, everything else after it is just not as awesome. Lost Levels NES is cool too.

I got the Ninja Gaiden NES series on the 3DS, the only NES games I want on it, I rather play NES on my JXD for handheld play.