Small KOF2K2 DC impressions

honeyman

Morden's Lackey
Hello there folks!

Well, since nobody else seems to have posted any impressions yet I`ll take it upon myself to post some small impressions after purchasing the game on Wednesday (fortunately the local game shop recieved copies on Wednesday afternoon drool_2 !) And so, here are my small impressions buttrock !

Upon first booting up, the intro to the game is the one from the arcade. That`s okay because I like the intro to the arcade version, but I can`t help thinking it would have been nice if Playmore could have done an animated intro like for DC KOF98 :( . Ending to the game also seems to be the same as the arcade ( a good/bad thing I guess!)

The music is.....quiet :confused: . I found myself having to turn the volume up a few notches as the sound level for the music seems to be low compared to the sound effects and the voices. By the way, the voices are nice and clear and it`s good to actually be able to hear what the KOF folks are saying now (even though I realise this isn`t vital.) What was also disappointing was that there`s no arranged track for the game. I was looking forward to hearing arranged themems and I think this would have helped to add energy to the matches. At first I was saddened about the music, but after a while I realise it`s not so bad (even though it sounds Megadrive style) and is bareable.

I don`t really have to say so much about the graphics as they are as the arcade. Folks who are reading this will therefore know what to expect on a graphical level for this instalment wink .

For options, There`s team and single play, versus and survival, plus a time attack which has you beating a set number of opponents in a given time. There are 40 of these mini-time attacks to complete, and as you finish one you open the next, with the nuber of opponents increasing and the time reducing. Let me asssure you, the last time attack is a little difficult wink ! However, as a reward for completing 20 sections of the time attack I aqcuired Kusanagi (yes, you have to gain him in the DC version!) and for all 40 sections of the time attack I gained King. I haven`t figured out how to get Shingo and Rugal yet, but I imagine you will recieve them when you finish team and single survival (but that is only a guess!) KIing is really good in BC mode and is a pleasing character to use (hidden MAX is Surprise Rose super from KOF2K1.)

There`s also a gallery akin to KOF2K1 were I imagine you`ll unlock pictures as you complete the game with the relevant teams (I have yet to acquire any of these yet, so.....)

Well, that`s about it for now. I`ll post more on the game as I play it (and if no one on this board beats me to it :rolleyes: !)

Thanks for taking your time to read these impressions!

Laters!

Nick

New Challenger
Good impressions. Nice to hear everything (save the music) came out alright.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Sounds awesome! Maybe the only succesful port and then some! Were there any animation cuts? I didn't see it being adressed so I'm curious to see if it has less animation than the Neo ver.

Devil_Gans

Bu, ,
Heh, i too have this port but i have noticed a few minor imperfections.
On rugal's stage, the frame rate drops a little but not as bad as the KOF 2000 aquarium stage.
The color and the contrast is not quite as sharp as the arcade version.Yes, the sound seems to be a little low but at least it doesn't sound as rough as the 2001 port.
The load times between rounds are super fast and near instant.Quite cool.
I would say that this is a 95% perfect port.

Another question.Has anyone unlocked shingo, king and rugal yet?
I have unlocked Kusanagi by beating mission 20 in the time attack mode.I am now on mission 30.

<small>[ June 19, 2003, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Devil_Gans ]</small>

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
I'll agree with that assessment. As well as the minor imperfections. The colors seem fine to me, though, so perhaps that may be more of a monitor thing. Contrast of that nature usually can be adjusted by the monitor itself.

Survival modes are pretty nice, but of course, as usual, if you want a better challenge you usually have to pick someone other than Ralf. Usually the computer has a tough time dealing with Ralf, and this one is no different.

Loadwise, it feels, right now, that the KOF2002 is just a bit slower than 2001 for loading up the character select screen, but just by a hair. It's noticible to those who played a lot of DC 2001, though. However, when it comes time to load a character and a new background with them (as seen in survival) KOF2002 really shines over 2001. The speed with which it loads both together is quite impressive, though you wont notice it loading just the next character(without a new background) any faster than 2001 (in which I think they already reached their peak echelon in acheivement by that year).

As for a port, I'd say for arcade authenticity it's probably a shy less than 2001, which is very good, IMO. Especially since KOF2001 seemed to be a perfect translation, with no slowdown I've seen in any part of the package. Of course, the console specific addition of the extra characters and the small fact that the little slowdown mentioned is quite brief and tolerable in KOF2002 puts it over in the overall department. Of course, I'll have to experiment a lot more to truly see how intact the package really is.

One odd thing is that it seems like Mature's aggressiveness shot up in this port. I'm not used to seeing her put on the pressure as much as she does now. Iori and Leona, though, seem to act just like they did before. eg. Iori always going for his quick chains and Leona loves to slap on that quick close-range combo with the heart-attack performed in it.

Control is just as great as it was in 2001. Angel (my new found object of fandom) plays like a dream on the stock pad as well. For some reason, I usually use Angel as a good test of how well the controls work. Anyway, as for Ryo, they didn't make his qcf+C,A SDM much better. It seems still, the only realistic way to pull it off is to cancel it from the (dp+P). Though it doesn't seem hard to do it that way, here.

honeyman

Morden's Lackey
I`m not sure about the sprite sizes compared to the arcade. I`ll have to play the arcade again and compare them, but I think they`re pretty bang on anyway.

Also, to get KIng, Shingo and Rugal these requirements must be met:-

King- Complete all 40 objectives in time attack mode.

Shingo- Complete single survival.

Rugal- Complete team survival (which I believe is the most difficult one to do :( .)

Not much more to say really. Even though the music is just as the arcade I`m starting to like some of the tracks :) . If only they`d have created and arranged soundtrack I`d have been over the moon buttrock (Playmore have more than half the tunes available to them in their archives. I would have been quite easy I imagaine.) Oh well :rolleyes: !

ray_7

how's King's and shingo's HSDM?

anyone tried it yet? hope they're cool...

Devil_Gans

Bu, ,
I just unlocked shingo.He seems to play just like his 2k1' version.His HSDM is his new super from 2k1(qcb,hcf+C).Now its qcb,hcf+AC.Same number of hits and nothing new added.It just does more damage though cos' its a HSDM.
I am trying to unlock King and rugal now.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
How do you unlock the Time attack modes? I go into the challenge section and it only has Team Survival unlocked, Single Survival and Time Attack are un-available. WTF?!?!?

Crovax

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
JHendrix:
How do you unlock the Time attack modes? I go into the challenge section and it only has Team Survival unlocked, Single Survival and Time Attack are un-available. WTF?!?!?
single survival is unlocked by beating single arcade mode, and time attack is unlocked by unlocking both single and team survival.

btw, how many matches are there in the survival modes anyway?

Devil_Gans

Bu, ,
Just unlocked King.Her HSDM is indeed that suprise rose DM from 2k1'.It only does more damage.She and shingo have no new moves added.They play like their 2k1' versions.Their BC cancels are pretty good.

Rugal is nothing to write home about although his HSDM, despite not being very useful looks cool.

<small>[ June 20, 2003, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Devil_Gans ]</small>

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Playmore may not have legal license to the old AST tracks. That's the most likely theory.

-Deuce

N

Neotokyobikerkid

Kof 2k2 on Dc rocks!!!!!

Now where is Metal Slug 3 on DC???

Ps2 controllers hurt the hands And Im tired of standing at my MVS

Damn ports are cool on the right systems

Here is hoping for more Dreamcast ports!!!!!!!!

CapcomFanConverted

Galford's Armourer
Neotokyobikerkid:
Kof 2k2 on Dc rocks!!!!!

Now where is Metal Slug 3 on DC???

Ps2 controllers hurt the hands And Im tired of standing at my MVS

Damn ports are cool on the right systems

Here is hoping for more Dreamcast ports!!!!!!!!
Get a fucking life. We saw your craptastic post about MS3 on DC, try not to overload your brain with more shit.

honeyman

Morden's Lackey
Deuce:
Playmore may not have legal license to the old AST tracks. That's the most likely theory.

-Deuce
Yeah, it`s a shame if that`S the case. Until KOF 2000 the music on the whole was real nice for the series, then it just kind of dropped of didn`t it :confused: