Single Board Computers (Linux, Android and more)

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Hardkernel has just release a new SBC: Odroid N2L

The PCB is really really small with same CPU/GPU has Odroid N2/N2+ (Amlogic S922X)
with 2GByte or 4GByte RAM.

This hardware work fine with EmuELEC (wait new image for Batocera.)
And you can use Android if you want too.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Raspberry Pi 5 is here
  • 2.4GHz quad-core 64-bit Arm Cortex-A76 CPU
  • VideoCore VII GPU, supporting OpenGL ES 3.1, Vulkan 1.2
  • Dual 4Kp60 HDMI® display output
  • 4Kp60 HEVC decoder
  • Dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi®
  • Bluetooth 5.0 / Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
  • High-speed microSD card interface with SDR104 mode support
  • 2 × USB 3.0 ports, supporting simultaneous 5Gbps operation
  • 2 × USB 2.0 ports
  • Gigabit Ethernet, with PoE+ support (requires separate PoE+ HAT, coming soon)
  • 2 × 4-lane MIPI camera/display transceivers
  • PCIe 2.0 x1 interface for fast peripherals
  • Raspberry Pi standard 40-pin GPIO header
  • Real-time clock
  • Power button

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Should be able to emulate DC on this ... if you wanted.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
I don't know but when I see specs I think it's possible.
I have pre-order mine, it's for end of October 🤞

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I don't know but when I see specs I think it's possible.
I have pre-order mine, it's for end of October 🤞

Meh, the time of Pi emulation is done. They couldn't keep up with production and we all moved on. I'd rather have a tiny cheap PC or something...better yet a Mister.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Meh, the time of Pi emulation is done. They couldn't keep up with production and we all moved on. I'd rather have a tiny cheap PC or something...better yet a Mister.

Finally, I cancelled my order lol. I prefer wait a bit and see which constructor release fun shell for Pi5 before buying it.
Retroflag or someone else... :geek:

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, pretty much. I sold most of my Pi stuff after I got the Steam Deck, but a few days ago I looked into making a little Pi rig for emulation in the cab and with pricing and availability it just wasn't worth it. I just spent a few more bucks to build a basic PC instead using old/cheap parts.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
It'll be months before they have it optimized for emulation.
IIRC correctly it was around 4-6 before they had the Pi4 chugging along.
Would have been nice if it had the same form factor as the last model so you could use the same cases etc.

I got one of those Pi400 keyboard all in ones a couple years ago and love it.
I've been playing it on my PVM via RGB-PI and loving life, easy setup.
It has support for the PS2 Namco gun and I played a bunch gun games on it T2/mechanized attach/zombie raid/Revolution X

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member

$99, Interesting for a Bartop

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Damn, if I had known about that a week ago I might have tried one of those instead of building an emu pc. No regrets though, I loaded Batocera on the PC and it's fucking awesome. While it's not powerful by current PC standards, it has more than enough power to run all the emulation I've thrown at it along with any shader I want with no performance hits. After dicking around with Pis and Adroid devices and such it's really nice.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Damn, if I had known about that a week ago I might have tried one of those instead of building an emu pc. No regrets though, I loaded Batocera on the PC and it's fucking awesome. While it's not powerful by current PC standards, it has more than enough power to run all the emulation I've thrown at it along with any shader I want with no performance hits. After dicking around with Pis and Adroid devices and such it's really nice.

For Upgrade my Bartop I hesitate : Intel N5105 with this X1 / ODROID-H3 (it's the same CPU) or ODROID-H3+ (Intel N6005) with a little more power.
You have tried Linux only ? I think Windows is a bit useless for little SBC.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I’m using Linux, but my setup isn’t a SBC. I had an old Ryzen and video card left over from an upgrade and I built a new setup around it. It’sa Ryzen 2200g with a Radeon RX580. It’s kinda stupid overkill for emulation but the parts I needed didn’t cost all that much.

butthurt coconut

Zero's Secretary
As far as I'm concerned, Raspberry Pi is only really useful where space concerns are important. For example, one could use a Raspberry Pi with linux as a small internet-based point-of-sale system, with keyboard, mouse, credit card reader, and printer connected. Honestly I'd sooner use a machine like that for productivity than for games.