Should i buy a $200 AES?

silverharbinger

War Room Troll
1 - I think the daedalus converter works without scaling/compatibility problems but is more expensive than some of the other converters I believe.

I can't really recommend the Daedalus either. Game sound works flawlessly, but it had picture issues with every cart I tried. It might have just been an issue with mine, but it worked like pretty much every other converter out there.

A CMVS will save you money if you're getting a bunch of games, but it's nowhere near as cheap as buying carts for other consoles. If you want to save the most money possible in this hobby just use an emulator. :)

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I read the apology, it's fine. Just remember that I'm a CMVS builder so I can make a CMVS out of any enclosure. Plus I don't charge people for stuff they aren't going to use. If you only plan to run RGB then you don't get charged for an encoder you are never going to use. Custom units as low as $250 is unheard of anywhere else.

You still build cmvs units?

IrishNinja

Kuroko's Training Dummy
much love to James for being far classier than I, I will indeed hit you up when I get my plan sorted here - a local NG buddy is pushing for me to just consider a supergun of some kind, though i'm still thinking of a CMVS now

You could both, an AES with an MVS adaptor, and a CMVS. Then get most games in the MVS version.
you said you have RGB, is that a PVM or something?

oh man, a nice 20" (lewd) PVM would be great, but nah, I'm on an XRGB mini...think i'll toss that in my sig

Original question on $200 AES... without sticks, I'd say not worth it. I spent a little under that on mine with 2 old-style sticks, and the dude threw in a copy of Sengoku AES because of some nonsense with the 2nd stick (it didn't work, so he sent me a pad at first while he got the stick fixed, which took like a month, so he apologized with Sengoku)

oh wow, that's a way better deal, congrats man!
yeah, i ended up passing on it after the advice here anyway

I don't think he'd be able to tough it out here though.

For me, after a while you start to ignore the mindless hive.

inspiring~

I can't really recommend the Daedalus either. Game sound works flawlessly, but it had picture issues with every cart I tried. It might have just been an issue with mine, but it worked like pretty much every other converter out there.

damn, i'd read good things about that one too - anyone else had these issues with it?

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
If you plan to get an aes, prepare to pay high prices for games. If you don't have a lot of cash, don't even bother with the aes. Although the kof series on aes is cheaper than most carts in that time period but are still expensive.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
If you think of ever owning any other arcade hardware, I'd say go supergun. Usually pretty cheap and versatile and can be made for just about anything. MVS mobo is usually around $80-100 ish depending on type and slots and play MVS w no issues guaranteed.