Should i buy a $200 AES?

IrishNinja

Kuroko's Training Dummy
like most Sega kids, i would fawn over NG stuff in gaming mags in the day, and even wanted to do those contests in like every EGM to win a baller setup, until i realized you had to pay to enter, and fuck that cause if i had money i wouldn't be out here kicking these rocks to begin with.

Anyway, local CL listing has what looks like a nice AES (something about a clean motherboard) for $200 w/cables, wants to talk about price for the stick...being that it's decades later & i'm still not even a bronze level member of the Elite Ballers Club™ I've been told for a while that a consolized MVS is the way to go, but i really do dig the AES form factor! and the closest thing ive seen to that is the Omega which holy fuck that's pricey before even having a controller.

so yeah, pardon the noob questions (still working my way through the forums for info) but i wanna know if there's any way i could justify this. My setup can run RGB, but what about:

1) what's the current state of MVS adapters, what are my best options for price & compatibility?

2) given that an Everdrive looks like it won't happen, how are multi carts? i'd really like to dive into the library a bit & then after paying stuff off, do a cost/benefit analysis of my favorite games vs necessity of minor organs/etc

3) are there any better options I'm not seeing here? the lower end of CMVS's ive seen looked like they were house in tupperware, which is not a good look even for a scrub such as myself

much love to any help offered here!

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
just get a good cmvs.

jnx or omega. more than $200 out of the gate, but you will save a ton more in the games.

stormy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
10 Year Member
1 - I think the daedalus converter works without scaling/compatibility problems but is more expensive than some of the other converters I believe.

2 - 161-1 multicart has a pretty solid list of games but is missing some good ones. You can read the thread on that topic for more info.

3 - I don't really have any comment on the CMVS other than I wouldn't pay for either of those two "popular" models. I suspect you could get someone to make one cheaper.

IrishNinja

Kuroko's Training Dummy
okay see i just google image'd jnx CMVS and BAM, tupperware

i mean there's gotta be a middle tier between BALLIN OUTTA CONTROL and wal mart's TRUE VALUE brand

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member

i mean there's gotta be a middle tier between BALLIN OUTTA CONTROL and wal mart's TRUE VALUE brand

Define tupperware. Just FYI James is one of the best in the business and his products are top notch. Wal-Mart is the complete other side of the playing field.

If you don't like his construction, then follow his guide and make one yourself.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member

You gonna get got son. JAMESUS is the man. This ain't no tupperware.

eqcmvs1.jpg

eqcmvs2.jpg

eqcmvs3.jpg

eqcmvs5.jpg

IrishNinja

Kuroko's Training Dummy
christ, the Omega is $650 now?

Define tupperware. Just FYI James is one of the best in the business and his products are top notch. Wal-Mart is the complete other side of the playing field.

If you don't like his construction, then follow his guide and make one yourself.

didn't mean to bust balls, i meant this specifically:

SHFI5IB.jpg

if that's not his work, my bad. if it is...then yes, it's better than i could do, but not to my liking.
*edit okay that other model does look quite a bit better

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member

SHFI5IB.jpg

if that's not his work, my bad. if it is...then yes, it's better than i could do, but not to my liking.

i really like the clean sleek look to that one

IrishNinja

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Ah, i was mixing it up with the wood Analogue model! still a gorgeous CMVS but damn shit's expensive.

congrats, by the way!

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
to be fair, no one ever said neo collecting would be cheap to any degree. You want cheap? Go either the NGCD or NG Pocket, but cheap is a relative term

IrishNinja

Kuroko's Training Dummy
granted - im just trying to find out about hardware options & such, including adapters/etc before getting into the games themselves.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

SHFI5IB.jpg

That one is discontinued since the enclosure isn't being made anymore. I can guarantee you that my CMVS has better video quality than the other two, hands down. Ask anyone. But after that tupperware remark, go fuck yourself.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I told you son, you just got got.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Honestly, if anyone does a video comparison, everyone will be fucking surprised. People need to know that I repaired some AI units and I used to own an Omega.

...congrats, by the way!

Thanks! I had the same dilemma, trying to decide between AES and CMVS.

Like previously mentioned in this thread already, you'll come out a lot cheaper in the long run with a CMVS. It doesnt necessarily have to be an Omega, but perhaps research a little more before spending that $200.

Best of luck to you, whichever way you go.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
just get a good cmvs.

jnx or omega. more than $200 out of the gate, but you will save a ton more in the games.

CD just nailed it down for ya!

What you spend on the Omega you will more than make up for in MVS carts.
I say do what I did, start with a cMVS (Omega in my case) and the 161 cart...
Branch out later as time/money allows, get your post count up and search the market for <strike>deals</strike> fair prices.

IrishNinja

Kuroko's Training Dummy
haha, guess i got got, neat

Thanks! I had the same dilemma, trying to decide between AES and CMVS.

Like previously mentioned in this thread already, you'll come out a lot cheaper in the long run with a CMVS. It doesnt necessarily have to be an Omega, but perhaps research a little more before spending that $200.

Best of luck to you, whichever way you go.

thanks man - starting to think you're right, it's hard to argue around unibios & MVS cart prices too.
after that prior recommendation @ the daedalus converter, looked into that one as well and factoring that in, it's a lot closer cost up front to the higher priced CMVS' as well

CD just nailed it down for ya!

What you spend on the Omega you will more than make up for in MVS carts.
I say do what I did, start with a cMVS (Omega in my case) and the 161 cart...
Branch out later as time/money allows, get your post count up and search the market for <strike>deals</strike> fair prices.

yeah, this sounds like a plan. a bundle (omega/CMVS with stick & multicart) would be amazing as well, not sure what my odds are but i'm in no hurry

Last edited:

Rori

Crazed MVS Addict
I got my first Neo Geo, in AES form back in February of this year. I only currently have seven AES CIB games but while its been fun collecting what I can for the AES, realistically, the AES is a poor choice because... I am not personally flush with money. Yes, there are a few cheap AES games which are also good, but they are few and far between. Not to mention, they're almost all fighting games. I personally did not fall in love with the Neo through its fighting games, but rather my love for the Metal Slug. Unfortunatelly and realistically, this will not be possible on the AES.

This question comes around here a lot and against better judgement I still went with the AES. I would personally recommend that you hit up James (member Xian-Xi) to make you a CMVS or SuperGun and collect for MVS. For the same price of the AES and a small handful of games, you'll have a CMVS/SuperGun which will allow you to collect a broader range of genres on the Neo for significantly cheaper. He is highly recommended by all the regular/senior members on the board here and if you ever have a technical question, he'll likely be the first person to respond or give the most technically insightful response. I myself am trying to see if I can get James to get some work for me done in the future...

A ton of people have gotten into the AES initially as their first Neo but ditch it due to the exorbitant prices that are attributed to its games. You'll run of out $60 games quite fast and quickly get into the $100-200 range.

Edit: Comparing Xian-Xi's work to tupperware =

Last edited: