Shooters or Fighters.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I like them both equally. It's a bit hard to choose between them, that's like choosing between beer or whisky. Both are fantastic and do the job.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Shmups. Fighters are just about memorizing joystick combinations there is no skill. Yeah, making a quarter circle and hitting 4 buttons is really awesome.

Stupid bitch...

And shooties are just remembering where enemy bullets aren't?

Shooters are cool, but I'd rather play a fighter.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Fighters, but I had a lot of fun with Quake 3 Arena when it got out. Man, did I get owned with that shit.........some people were just too good.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
FPS games are a hit and miss, Unreal Tournament for me but I think this thread is about shmups and fighters as 2 arcade genres.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Fighters, but I had a lot of fun with Quake 3 Arena when it got out. Man, did I get owned with that shit.........some people were just too good.

I stuck with Doom and Quake 2 - Q2 CTF was fucking amazing.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
I can't pick one genre over the other, there's great shooters and great fighters that I love playing.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Feed the sheep why don't you?

dsc02616.jpg

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
We either got us a fake account here or Bonus-Kun already told alternate DD to troll with RPGs, the g3iz genre...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
As long as you have fun.

Edit:...I don't think you have that either...

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I think they should if they haven't already, design games with completely random patterns in that they can't be memorized and raw, spontaneous talent wins the game.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
I think they should if they haven't already, design games with completely random patterns in that they can't be memorized and raw, spontaneous talent wins the game.

Try Nethack. Just note, it deletes your save file when you die.

On more topic: I think Ambrosia Software made a few PC shooters that were randomized. I'm sure its been done before.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Shmups. Fighters are just about memorizing joystick combinations there is no skill. Yeah, making a quarter circle and hitting 4 buttons is really awesome.

I'm upset that I didn't think to say this.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
This is a tough question. I'm really not the most talented gamer buttttttttttttttt fighters get me off more I think because they're easier to relate to (the controls usually make sense and there's more of a 'human' obstacle and reflex requirement) but at other times there is NOTHING like the adrenaline rush of successfully dodging all them bullets.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
I'm upset that I didn't think to say this.

Not that I don't think fighting games take skill, many of them do, trouble is... I don't feel as rewarded, beating a shooter you get a high score... even if its mediocre against other players, you still beat the game, you still can try and strive for a higher number... you feel acomplished.

There's always someone somewhere in a Fighting Game that will make you feel like you're playing against a Korean in Starcraft.

Edit: An aside... I've got Time Stands Still stuck in my head, and I keep imaginging how awesome and epic a Silmarillion Fighting game would be :)

Last edited: