Shockbox exchange program

danox574

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
At Southtown, we have always been pleased to host Neo-Geo inserts that are fan created on our server for download by everyone who is interested in obtaining the art. With Shockboxes essentially being unavailable at this time, we'd like to continue to find a way to support the community. However, hosting, time, space, etc. costs money, and we'll need to find a way to continue to do that. No product has ever been as successful as the Shockbox, and now we'll need to find a way to keep the hosting bills paid.

I'm considering a used shockbox exchange program and we'd like your feedback on it.

Any intact, functional, shockbox that still seals that is structurally sound (has no tears, snaps closed, fits carts properly), would be equivalent under this program. We would not differentiate condition or grades of boxes, but any functional box would be considered a 'used' shock. Yaton's non-usable three-window boxes would be not be a valid shockbox.

We would set some price for them. We would buy any offered to us at this price and they would be confirmed upon receipt and the person who sent them in would be paid. You would be responsible for shipping/insurance when you sent them to us.

We would sell this boxes, as is, for $1.25 more than we paid for them. IF, however, you buy prints with each shockbox, we would sell them for the *same* price that we bought them for, and consider it a free service to match you up with these used shockboxes.

If demand outpaced supply, we'd raise the price, and if supply outpaced demand, we'd lower it, until we found the right market price to keep inventory levels approximately flat.

We think the margins/handling of the boxes would not net us anything, but it would avoid the hassle of people seeking shockboxes having to go out and attempt to find the right number from diverse sources, and maybe help move enough prints to cover the bills.

The margin on shockbox only orders is subject to change if the program goes into place, and is not final, but I'm curious as to the feedback of the forum we support.

In other news, yes, I am talking to BB about the manufacture, the demand, the costs, and other possibilities about the future of shockbox availability. Since MVS will be collectible for years to come, I'm looking for a better longer-term solution than this, so I realize just 'having more boxes' available is a great idea, but isn't viable in the short term.

Artemio

NEST Puppet
I am new to this community, and I must thank you for providing these service. I've got great service and excellent products from you in all my orders. Hopefully a long term solution can be found, meanwhile I believe this one will work alright.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Have Big Bear sell the mold.

I'm sure the loyal shockboxers would chip in to buy it.

That is, if he owns it.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Terrible timing... was a week away from buying 15 shock boxes, but looks like they are history (at least for separate sale) -_-

Hope to see the manufacture of shockboxes pick up ASAP!

Bay78

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
Yes I need some shockboxes. I'm in for whatever will help

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I don't need any ATM, but I am concerned about the hosting of the inserts. If Southtown is taking the insert hosting down maybe someone would be kind enough to host them from now on? I would but I know nothing of the process and I have no web space.

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
Don't hear Dan's got difficult bills Grave... ?

Any hosting should be here then, tis where we all are.

(e) orr fucksake ? SouthTown & shocks ?...

:oh_no:

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I do understand the problem and I'm not ignoring it, I just think that before the files go into obscurity they should be carried on by someone else, after all the insert hosting wasn't originated in Southtown remember? Loopyedie used to do this years ago and we used to print the insert ourselves...goodtimes...not really...man!

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
+1 3rd party if need be, pick these issues and run with them...

Some rich Texan husband maybe ;)

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Aw man. I just got into MVS, so I'm going to need some shockboxes in the near future... :(

Jesterzzn

Marked Wolf
So what's the story with shockboxes being out of stock? Has demand fallen off so much that another run isn't affordable?

I have been slowly putting together an MVS collection over the last three or four years. I buy some over these forums, but have made the majority of my buys when I visit family in Taiwan. So the majority of my buys come sans shock box, which I have always bought from Southtown.

So, and I'm just throwing this out there, if another run were to be made, I would personally pledge to buy 30 (maybe as many as 40) as soon as they became availible. I know that's not alot compared to what would be needed, but maybe others can pile on here and get the pledged amount up to a point that would make it possible to get some more made.

As for the exchange, I am happy with any shockbox that is in usable condition. If this place gets to the point that even shockboxes need a grading scale past "usable" or "not usable" then...nevermind, it's probably too late.:annoyed:

But, yes. After my long off topic post, yes I would buy used shockboxes.

holyver

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
yep
Why not putting in place a system of pre-orders (so people have to firmly commit to the order and pay in advance for example) and launch the production when the level of pre-orders reach a satisfactory level?
This is just an idea as I have only a very incomplete understanding of the situation/constraints of this activity.

Bibliophile

, I liek DragonWarrior
At Southtown, we have always been pleased to host Neo-Geo inserts that are fan created on our server for download by everyone who is interested in obtaining the art. With Shockboxes essentially being unavailable at this time, we'd like to continue to find a way to support the community. However, hosting, time, space, etc. costs money, and we'll need to find a way to continue to do that. No product has ever been as successful as the Shockbox, and now we'll need to find a way to keep the hosting bills paid.

I'm considering a used shockbox exchange program and we'd like your feedback on it.

Any intact, functional, shockbox that still seals that is structurally sound (has no tears, snaps closed, fits carts properly), would be equivalent under this program. We would not differentiate condition or grades of boxes, but any functional box would be considered a 'used' shock. Yaton's non-usable three-window boxes would be not be a valid shockbox.

We would set some price for them. We would buy any offered to us at this price and they would be confirmed upon receipt and the person who sent them in would be paid. You would be responsible for shipping/insurance when you sent them to us.

We would sell this boxes, as is, for $1.25 more than we paid for them. IF, however, you buy prints with each shockbox, we would sell them for the *same* price that we bought them for, and consider it a free service to match you up with these used shockboxes.

If demand outpaced supply, we'd raise the price, and if supply outpaced demand, we'd lower it, until we found the right market price to keep inventory levels approximately flat.

We think the margins/handling of the boxes would not net us anything, but it would avoid the hassle of people seeking shockboxes having to go out and attempt to find the right number from diverse sources, and maybe help move enough prints to cover the bills.

The margin on shockbox only orders is subject to change if the program goes into place, and is not final, but I'm curious as to the feedback of the forum we support.

In other news, yes, I am talking to BB about the manufacture, the demand, the costs, and other possibilities about the future of shockbox availability. Since MVS will be collectible for years to come, I'm looking for a better longer-term solution than this, so I realize just 'having more boxes' available is a great idea, but isn't viable in the short term.

I'm all for it, Dan. Count me in.

bwi

20 Year Member
Im in desperate need of about 6 boxes so i would be in

bri

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
Just to be safe I'm going to d/l them all and stick them in a .zip file.

I don't see why they couldn't be hosted here as d/l only though...

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
I don't see why they couldn't be hosted here as d/l only though...

Good idea Tinz. As soon as they finish updating the collection galleries and the price guides the mods will hop right on this. :lolz: :lolz: :lolz:

There's many many reasons they were never hosted here and why Loopy Eddie took the time to get all of them together. All of which happened before our times.

Just to be safe I'm going to d/l them all and stick them in a .zip file.

Probably not necessary. In addition to Dan having backups, I already have them backed up on an external HD as well as DVD-Rs. You are looking at roughly 4gb if memory serves me correctly.

iammike

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
i'm happy to host the files if the consensus is that that is what needs to be done.
easiest would be for someone at southtown to send me the html structure and files.

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
I think Dan's idea is great and I'd definitely support it. It'd be a shame to lose such a valuable resource to the community. Hopefully Big Bear will do another run of shockboxes as the demand seems to be there, if not then this is the best option I've seen. I can't tell you how much the shocks add to the asthetic value of the collection. Even my friends who aren't into arcade gaming/collecting are impressed with them.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Anyone thought of putting up an official neo-geo.com BitTorrent tracker for the insert files? Low bandwidth costs, and it's a way for everyone to contribute if they choose to.

iammike

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Anyone thought of putting up an official neo-geo.com BitTorrent tracker for the insert files? Low bandwidth costs, and it's a way for everyone to contribute if they choose to.

the low number of seeds we'd get out of this small community would make torrents painfully slow.

really, i've got more than enough bandwidth (15TB/mo) out of my $120/yr hosting for my personal site. someone get me the files (I don't have time to click through and download them all) and i'll have them backed up in a matter of minutes.