SHMUP of the Month: Castle Shikigami 2

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
when I first played this game a couple years ago, I was playing for survival and I kinda liked it. Now that I'm playing for score, I'm downright loathing just turning it on. I told my wife about this contest and even though she doesn't play shumps, she gave it a try and has done better than me so far at this game:lolz: We take turns on our runs, one person plays shiki, and the other plays a 5 min game of Soldier Blade, she didn't like that one much at first either, but it really grew on her.

man, Soldier Blade really is tops... hmmm. sounds like a good score idea ;)

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Let's see if the pics will upload this time. Just cycling through the characters while I try.

SNKorSWM - 745,570,450 - Stage 3-2 - Gennojo Hyuga - PS2

DSC00008-1.jpg

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
man, Soldier Blade really is tops... hmmm. sounds like a good score idea ;)

it's easily my fave console shooter. My wife had never been into shmups so although SB and shiki have next to nothing in common, I was trying to find something she could hone her skills on while I was taking my runs, and since shiki was (and still is) frustrating the hell out of us, I also wanted her to try a game that would be fun in the meantime.

also, thx for the faq link crank, good stuff in there!

I've had to switch my character to kuga, I can't come close to a decent score with anyone else:(

MegaGraffin

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Just got the game. Any tips for a newbie?

I've been using the first blue guy who has the ghost that just flies around screen killing everything and makes it a combo..Got roughly 358 million.

I'm assuming this competition is one credit only? Or does it not matter as scores reset on continue?

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
You got it: 1CC--Default Settings--And Rack-Up as many Points as you can.

With some games you don't have to go very deep into he games to score a TON of points, but other games you do.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
900,227,470 - Stage 2-2 - Kuga - PS2

sOhUo.jpg

Last edited:

MegaGraffin

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Thx Codecrank for the link! It was helpful getting the idea of what to do, how to score, and who to use.

Well, here's the best I could do after reading the faq and trying for an hour.

MegaGraffin- 905,722,180- Stage 2-2 - Kohtaro Kuga - Dreamcast

IMG_20130117_020821.jpg

Fun game though..Cool music and bosses...I hope next month is GigaWing 2.

Another idea for this thread could also be to treat it like a circuit championship. Give points for the top ten spots in inverse order (1st gets 10 points, 2nd 9 points....9th 2 points, 10th 1 point)...Doesn't have to be top 10, could be 5 or whatever, but might be a fun way to track overall standings throughout the year...

Last edited:

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
the wife is all kinds of tenacious on this game, she's not as scared as I am to get close to them bullets.

submitting for score,

Mugicha (joe) -848,304,100 - stage 3-1 - kuga- DC on the cab (had a little more luck with the stick than the dc pad.)

P1030132_zps3d72c617.jpg

she just signed up, she has a much better score to post than that one there. She's been playing the game for a minimum of about 3 hrs every day:D

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Averaging about 1.6 bil / 4-1. stage 3-1 is still killing me even though I know how to survive it, but I usually hit 2nd extend during the 3-1 boss which helps. Hoping to break the 2bil mark, but I don't see it happening without some serious luck involved.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I was interested in comparing Mobile Light Force 2 (Shiki1) to this and thought it might be worth posting my thoughts.

Shiki2 is feels much easier.
Unlike Shiki2 which only has 1 attack strength, in the original there are 4 power-up levels based on coin collecting.
The backgrounds in MLF2 have a ver interesting tilting (ZOMG) effect when you move from side to side, I actually like it a lot.
There are more bosses and stage sections in MLF2.
I got pretty far in MLF2 and didn't get a single extend, they are certainly more obtainable in Shiki2.
While MLF2 doesn't have a Tate mode, I've heard that the JPN version aka Shikigami no Shiro DOES... pisser!
MLF2 has almost zero loading time between stages, starting a new game, etc. pretty sweet.

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
Averaging about 1.6 bil / 4-1. stage 3-1 is still killing me even though I know how to survive it, but I usually hit 2nd extend during the 3-1 boss which helps. Hoping to break the 2bil mark, but I don't see it happening without some serious luck involved.

I think I make about 25% of my score on boss 3-1 alone, using the shiki on the red boxes as much as possible is key. combined with 8X kill and coin multipliiers, this boss is definately worth taking your time. The stage itself is not too hard once you find the path that works best for your guy. I don't even try to score high during the stage itself. I've gotten to where I only need 1 bombs to get to the boss.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Offical Scoreboard for Shikigami No Shiro 2

codecrank - 1,769,949,110 - Stage 4-1 - Kohtaro Kuga - Naomi
kidpanda - 1,760,885,400 - Stage 3-2 - Kohtaro Kuga - PS2

Damn, that looks close.

A little over 9 Mill. right there.

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I'm gonna go curse for like 20 minutes. But seriously, nice run.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Haven't had near as much time as I'd wanted to give this game, but my first respectable run:

Spoiler:
IMG_1163_zps76bebef5.jpg

1,320,055,160 - mjmjr25 - Ko - 3-2 - DC-JP

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
This is a nice little write up about the story and release of the game for home consoles, they actually cover the whole series, but I felt I should link the page for part 2 as that's the one we are playing here. It's kind of nice to see the char descriptions and story info, as I've only ever played this series in Japanese and knew pretty much nothing about it.

http://hardcoregaming101.net/shikigami/shikigami2.htm