Shipping on eBay from the U.S.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Do any of the non-Americans on here use the cheaper first class mail to get packages sent from the U.S.? Or do you prefer sending it tracked, even if it can be almost three times the price?

Last edited:

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
I'm from toronto I buy a bit off eBay and due to there policy of needing tracking to insure seller, I'm use to it. They have a flat rate international box that isn't bad. I've lost packages, most recent was one magician lord off eBay that never arrived to me. It's a bit more yes but worth it in terms of insurance. Two other things, have it marked as a gift to avoid customs, and you can have it declared as less $$ to reduce fees in case they still charge. Second is a bit risky should it actually get lost.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
I've yet to lose anything sent via USPS First Class *touch wood*.

NewNeoOwner

Quiz Detective
It varies. I've had no problems with first class when shipping domestically. Both UPS and USPS have lost or smushed boxes that were being tracked. Neither option is a guarantee. For international shipments with a higher potential for delays it's probably safer to pay a little extra to be safe. Hate to say it, shopping on Ebay makes me a little paranoid because anyone can be pulling a scam. Wish there was someplace else to shop for this stuff.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
USPS International first class can run anywhere from $6-$20 depending on weight. International Priority can start as low as $24.

I ship via USPS 1st class international all the time. If you are buying stuff from the US on ebay, make sure the seller isn't offering eBay's Global shipping program. There's been A LOT of complaints about it. The package is sent from the seller to a company in the US and is then repackaged with less shipping material to make it lighter and then shipped off to the international location. A lot of customers report that their items are smashed to bits, broken in half, stepped on etc.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
I also wish there were more alternatives to ebay. They are expensive and they have started forcing upfront Duty fees.
I wont bother trying to buy from sellers that charge Duty/customs fees.

I will always go for USPS. So for, no problems.

Pantarou

Zero's Secretary
Tracking and Insurance is a must in my opinion.But the most Important thing for me is that the Seller places correct Invoice Documents on the Outside of the Package. No "Gift" Markings or strangely low Values. Otherwise my local Customs Office needs weeks to send me a Letter requesting an Real Invoice, get this Documents from me, do their Paperwork and finally sending it to me.

ebay's Global Shipping Program is a nice Idea, but turns out to be a Nightmare.I haven't heard anything positive about that yet.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I've had no problems shipping First Class Mail International. Usually, tracking is available that meets the seller protection requirements. There's always an element of risk involved and I usually insist on full value declaration, tracking and insurance on higher priced items to protect both parties.

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
I've had no problems shipping First Class Mail International. Usually, tracking is available that meets the seller protection requirements. There's always an element of risk involved and I usually insist on full value declaration, tracking and insurance on higher priced items to protect both parties.

Preach it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I remember once I shipped a CMVS to I think the UK, I put full insurance on the package and then the post office played soccer with it and broke a couple things in the box. When the buyer got it they didn't want to deal with the PO for the insurance claim and wanted me to pay out of pocket for the damage.

If you do first class international shipping from the US, use the the USPS.com site to print the label as it comes with free tracking. Doing it at the PO isn't as good.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I have learnt to deal with the fact that here in Australia we all get bent over when it pertains to shipping fees. Just goes with the territory. Sending overseas for us also is ridiculous, espesially tracked, which alone can be worth twice the shipping amount in some cases. I am increasingly grateful to forum members who will ship international due to this and other risks such as damaged/lost packages.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
If I ship abroad using eBay,the only choice for me is EMS. Buyer's specifications are fine but EMS all the way for both parties protection.Most of the time I FLAT RATE(it's just easier) saving the buyer a couple of dollars on the postage fee.
BB

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
EMS only for international, and even with that I'd never consider sending to Spanish or Portuguese speaking countries.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
EMS only for international, and even with that I'd never consider sending to Spanish or Portuguese speaking countries.
I thought EMS was just for shipping from Asia (Japan)?

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I have learnt to deal with the fact that here in Australia we all get bent over when it pertains to shipping fees. Just goes with the territory.

I'll echo this. It's something I've just come to terms with. I'll always factor in shipping prices on top of any purchase for carts I make on here or eBay.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Australia has some really high shipping fees but on the other hand, Australia has one of the most lenient import taxes. Anything under $1000 you don't have to pay anything as far as I remember. Places like Brazil, anything over $400 and you need to hire a broker.

nicksbrain

Cheng's Errand Boy
Well, Switzerland doesn't have high import taxes, but they kick in if the amount of those is above 5 Swiss Francs (Around 5.50 US$). The tax rate itself isn't too bad (8%), but imagine getting something just over the value that you have to pay taxes (let's say 70 Swiss francs), it's only like 6 bucks BUT you have to pay them directly when you receive the parcel and the fees the Swiss post charges for that are quite outrageous, in that case the total would be around 30 Swiss francs. So that's why I'm always a hardass and ask people to undervalue things (if you think on top of the expensive shipping from the U.S. or Japan) ;)

Last edited:

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Australia has some really high shipping fees but on the other hand, Australia has one of the most lenient import taxes. Anything under $1000 you don't have to pay anything as far as I remember. Places like Brazil, anything over $400 and you need to hire a broker.

This is true, in that regard we are fortunate here. Spot on with the figure too.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5653.asp

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
The tax rate itself isn't too bad (8%)
LOL! In Germany you have to pay 19% VAT on everything you payed more than 20€ for (yes, that is including shipping cost - you pay 19% of the total). Once you go over 150€ you also have to pay customs duties.

Pantarou

Zero's Secretary
LOL! In Germany you have to pay 19% VAT on everything you payed more than 20€ for (yes, that is including shipping cost - you pay 19% of the total). Once you go over 150€ you also have to pay customs duties.

The Taxes here in general are horrendous.Those top-ranking politicians need something for their pension fund.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Isn't its purpose supposed to be discouraging people living inside the EU buying from outside the EU?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Isn't its purpose supposed to be discouraging people living inside the EU buying from outside the EU?
I don't give a crap what it's purpose is, I just want to keep my moneys!

nicksbrain

Cheng's Errand Boy

Damn! Here there is fortunately absolutely no customs charges, only 8% VAT added... OK I'll stop complaining ;)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

Yes. The purpose is import taxes usually isn't to generate revenue, it's to encourage trade within the country/region.

Uh... nigga.