Ship of Theseus Paradox in Retro Video Game Collection

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Jesus Christ was dead and alive again by 33, now I'm not saying that makes me this board's messiah but Jesus often denied that title on himself as well. Anyhoo, I'm not concerned by the monetary value but I am here because I enjoy the feeling of a real experience otherwise I'd have just emulated and as time goes by with things breaking down that's going to become more & more nebulous so it's something I think is interesting to consider/discuss.

I Frankenstein shit all the time, it's what I do. I don't look at my shit like it needs to be legit, I want my shit to be the most useful it can be, I'm a tinkerer, I care little about value or original condition. I do not follow the footsteps of some hired engineer or graphic artist hired by executives to make the shit we play like it's a sacred stone, no, all these things are playing fields for my dexterity as a gamer and a tinkerer to grow.

Now that's what Jesus would of done. A messiah that never forgot where he comes from, a laborer, a carpenter. Not some douchebag wondering about the value of things.

Now tell me that you love me, Peter...

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I Frankenstein shit all the time, it's what I do. I don't look at my shit like it needs to be legit, I want my shit to be the most useful it can be, I'm a tinkerer, I care little about value or original condition. I do not follow the footsteps of some hired engineer or graphic artist hired by executives to make the shit we play like it's a sacred stone, no, all these things are playing fields for my dexterity as a gamer and a tinkerer to grow.

Now that's what Jesus would of done. A messiah that never forgot where he comes from, a laborer, a carpenter. Not some douchebag wondering about the value of things.

Perfectly said. Could I have left my 4-slot cab intact with all the grime from years in an arcade? Sure. But I wouldn't have learned a damn thing unless I tore it down and rebuilt it with my own two hands. The satisfaction of being able to view and appreciate your work while enjoying the functionality it provides outweighs the monetary value of an object a hundred-fold.

That's awesome, I've wanted to know how to do that sort of thing for a long time. I used to have a couple arcade cabinets but just couldn't justify collecting things the size of refrigerators, though I kinda liked their grime. My Double Dragon cabinet had that 80s beach arcade smell vaguely of ketchup & cigarettes lol

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

Very well said. I feel the same way about my stuff. I dont care about things like value as much as I care about functionality.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I would tell Theseus he's a fucking cunt and to give the ship to someone who really wants or needs it.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Are any of you familiar with the Ship of Theseus Paradox? Basically Theseus had a ship that after so many years of existence eventually needed a plank replaced, then another, and another and so on and so forth. The question then becomes when every piece has been replaced, is it still Theseus' ship and if not at what point in replacing those parts did it stop being so.

This is an issue that effects many antiques & collectibles. Is is okay to replace the battery on a dead cartridge? Most would say yes. Is is okay to make a reproduction case for the cartridge, less would agree to that. What if you replaced the ROM chip inside because it became corroded or kept the original ROM chip and replaced the shell?

Where do you personally or feel the community should draw a line in considering an item being maintained, restored or simply being a reproduction? Also something to consider is that part of the paradox asks, what if someone took all the original pieces and put them together, is that then the real Ship of Theseus? Just as someone may cobble together a system or game from spare parts.
This is true of Nelson's Victory ship in in the UK. It's been replaced with so much new wood, etc, that's it's largely a new ship.