Shawn - $499 prize for designing a Neo-Geo game title logo!

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
I don't see how selling this turd is any different or any better than selling any other boot cart. I would like for someone to explain to me how this is not a boot and how it is more ethical and okay to sell it while its still wrong to sell other boot carts, because I just don't understand.

It's not and that's all there is to it.

It's not always what is sold but who's selling it.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
However, after being a Neo collector for over a decade, I'm not trilled about how the 161-1 might make cart values drop.

Nah, multicarts have been around on MVS for a long time now, they haven't affected MVS prices in any way. Also, with an MVS converter you've been able to play the 161 in 1 on AES for ages anyway, this is nothing more than a repackaging of something already available.

I wonder which poor carts are getting sac'd to make all this happen???

In fact, because of this, in small part it will actually increase rarity of AES carts and push prices up.

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
to clarify this is a logo for just the title, so Multigame 161-in-1?

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Nah, multicarts have been around on MVS for a long time now, they haven't affected MVS prices in any way. Also, with an MVS converter you've been able to play the 161 in 1 on AES for ages anyway, this is nothing more than a repackaging of something already available.

True, they have been around for a while. But for $600 you get all the Slug and a ton of other titles. If these 161-1 carts can remain in production, it might serve as a cheap alternative to the real deal. Why spend hundreds or thousand on a cart when you can have them all and play them on original hardware? That's my concern.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Here's the way I see all this. The NeoStore can sell widgets for all I care. However, the 161-1 cart goes against the core members of the forum. Despite all this, Shawn has done a lot for the Neo; I respect and appreciate what he has done.

To put things in perspective. Do I own an AES conversion? Yes. However, I would most likely not offer it for sell on the forum out of respect for the forum rules and anti-conversion members. If I were to sell a conversion here, I would PM some mods to get their blessing before posting a conversion and then only offer it to established members.

The 161-1 game goes beyond a conversion. It's a hack at best and in the eyes of most members a bootleg. High quality, but bootleg none the less.

Am I exited about the release of this cart? No. I stopped collecting Neo games for value a few years ago. However, after being a Neo collector for over a decade, I'm not trilled about how the 161-1 might make cart values drop.

I wonder which poor carts are getting sac'd to make all this happen???

Couple of issues with this:

1. It's probably a custom PCB.
2. Some of the games aren't perfect on this thing. Most notably is Garou, it's the beta dumped version with several gameplay glitches and changes
3. Most would find it beneficial to get essentially an entire collection for your AES for under $500 that works with a stock system. It's a value buy.
4. Depending on how this is done, it may have serious issues with the UniBIOS
5. Ethical Issues with the creator, etc.

It's up to the buyer to decide how these would affect them. If there's anything that collecting for as long I have has taught me: there are plenty of idiots with money hanging out of their wallet who will pay for anything remotely SNK related.

Note: By my estimation, if these are $500 carts, he's making an absolute killing selling them.

Tacitus

Staff member
What you guys fail to understand is that Shawn is a businessman and he runs a store mostly centered around a decade old, niche videogame system. Finding new product and items to sell is not an easy task. If he doesn't *someone else will*

To keep the works going you have to make tough decisions that maybe not everyone agrees with. I'd rather Shawn do it than any one of a few scumbags we can all name off the top of our heads.

It's a boot product created from another boot. Net loss to people = 0.

the cart shells probably aren't even legit, the cases definitely aren't.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I think if the cover stays like the sample the title/logo should be integrated in a way where it doesn't just look like it's floating or pasted over the artwork. So far all the submissions are going to have this flaw imho.

Here is a rough idea I'm working on:

12526465284_b752887328_z.jpg

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
About something more subliminal like this:

3x74.jpg

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

...as i said.... the dumbass "Umbrella" is sorta big... atm... you come under the....

"He posted... let's ignore"....

Have you ever wondered why everyone reads VT's or Xanders posts? because they've earned the right to be heard...

xROTx

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Gk0O3vL.png

Just a quick mockup. The text placing needs some work later on.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
...as i said.... the dumbass "Umbrella" is sorta big... atm... you come under the....

"He posted... let's ignore"....

Have you ever wondered why everyone reads VT's or Xanders posts? because they've earned the right to be heard...

xROTx

I'll post whatever I like, doesn't matter if people don't read what I post.

Clearly you guys don't ignore me though, how thoughtful. :keke:

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
If it keeps the server chugging along. Whatever.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I'm seriously dissapointed in the lack of naked Rot submissions. When the game boots that is all you should see is naked Rot and a banner that says "shame on you"

that or "Welcome to David G.'s Storage Unit"

Tacitus

Staff member
I'm seriously dissapointed in the lack of naked Rot submissions. When the game boots that is all you should see is naked Rot and a banner that says "shame on you"

Rot made me a promise for when I revived flashchat.

I'm awaiting the payoff.

Tacitus

Staff member

You mean Jason Young's Storage Unit, right?