Sega STV / Titan Dongle

Berty

Zero's Secretary
20 Year Member
Hi,

I bought an STV mobo off ebay a while ago. It was untested. Got it, booted it up and nothing but black screen. The red light comes on on the baord but nothing. I checked voltages etc and still no good.

All i can think off is that my board does not have that dongle thing on it. (the thing pictured with the yellow box around it). Would the lack of this make the board not boot up?

stv.JPG

(pic stolen from ebay)

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
What game did you have in it? Did you try hitting the test mode button?

Pingu

Hardened Shock Trooper
Yes you need that or one of those video expansion cards. I suggest you mail that seller and bitch about it.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Why do you exactly need that? I have it and was about to remove it just for convenience. I've also seen pics of a daughterboard in that place, what is it for, any game requires it? Or is it to have more than 1 cart?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Pingu said:
Yes you need that or one of those video expansion cards. I suggest you mail that seller and bitch about it.

Ditto..

Berty

Zero's Secretary
20 Year Member
hmmm, my fault actually cause i bought the board as-is. Maybe my best best bet would be to try and grab one of those video boards from print club or something and put that on the expansion slot. Dont suppose anyone has one for sale? maybe from a busted mobo?

If someone could remove their's from their mobo and see if it boots then i would be really greatful. That way i would know if there is something more seriously wrong with the board.

Berty

Zero's Secretary
20 Year Member
Dont worry, just found the manual and it confirms that it wont run without it. Just sent a message to Bill Burger. Hope he has one.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
Why do you exactly need that? I have it and was about to remove it just for convenience. I've also seen pics of a daughterboard in that place, what is it for, any game requires it? Or is it to have more than 1 cart?
The daughterboard is a video input board for the pirnt club games.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I used to collect STV Print Carts.

Berty said:
Dont worry, just found the manual and it confirms that it wont run without it. Just sent a message to Bill Burger. Hope he has one.

I had the same problem once....Though I didn't get the US STV board from Bill Burger...I asked him if he had a STV Key(sent picture of what I needed) and he sent me one for free...

Way afterward :I bought a Jap STV board off of Bill Burger ...I asked before he shipped it if he had any expansion boards for it(sent picture of what I wanted) and he sent me a whole STV board with the expansion board on it..

The STV board sent free was shot but the expansion board was in excellent shape with all the pins under it to hold it to the mobo real good.

slugnoid

Another Striker
sorry to bump an old thread, but i'm having the same problem, and i have the dongle on my board, but all games boot to a black screen. i baught the board from a reliable source, and it was packed better than anything i've ever been sent. any suggestions?

Borman

Genjuro's Frog
Check the voltage in your cabinet, the STV is a powerhog for some reason.

slugnoid

Another Striker
will do... the cab is new to me, so i haven't fiddled with it yet.

jeff10

Kula's Candy
i saw this thread and needed to ask a question myself, The board pictured on my sig is one i am getting ready to buy, It is a Jap board, Will it play any game USA or JAp. or does something have to be changed.....also I dont know much about these does it look to have the dongle or whatever the hell that is....

P00t

Fuck eBay & PayPal,
jeff10 said:
i saw this thread and needed to ask a question myself, The board pictured on my sig is one i am getting ready to buy, It is a Jap board, Will it play any game USA or JAp. or does something have to be changed.....also I dont know much about these does it look to have the dongle or whatever the hell that is....

Some games are region free, but some games can only be played with a US bios or Jap bios. You do get some advantages over Radiant Silvergun with a JAP bios, like an extra button config etc, although thats a region free game.

If you check out System16 it gives you most detailed information on the compatability listed like this:

Bios compatibility details;
Japan Release : Yes
US Release : No
Dual Bios Compatibility : No

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=711

Just got a STV setup myself, not had chance to play it yet though :buttrock: