Sega ST-V "How to" questions

CarlDMC

Tung's Hair,
I noticed there's somewhat of a lock on cartridges when they are inserted. Is there a special way to remove carts? I don't want to break anything.

Also, does anyone have a BIOS that has switcheable regions? I found this . Does anyone have an orginal BIOS I can get? Is it sometihng that is free like the Neo BIOS that Razoola makes? The reason I need one is because the one on my motherboard is an EEPROM of some kind, and I don't know if the code burned in it is the same as the original BIOS.

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Re: Sega ST-V "How to" westions

CarlDMC said:
I noticed there's somewhat of a lock on cartridges when they are inserted. Is there a special way to remove carts? I don't want to break anything.

Also, does anyone have a BIOS that has switcheable regions? I found this . Does anyone havea an orginal BIOS I can get? Is it sometihng that is free like the Neo BIOS that Razoola makes? The reason I need one is because the one on my motherboard is an EEPROM of some kind, and I don't know if the code burned in it is the same as the oroginal BIOS.

I just push down on the gray handle and push the cart forward (away from the handle) while pulling up..

I'm not to fond of that cart holder..

I took it off a third board I have just because it's a pain..and I use the board a lot..

I just sold a Non working board on Ebay..that had a Bios chip on it..
I come across them from time to time..

PM..member RevQuixo, he knows a lot about this system..

http://www.vsa-ag.ch/Services/STVDual/STVDual_e.htm

Last edited:

CarlDMC

Tung's Hair,
Okay, so I've checked out both of the sites listed above and have another question. On the first site posted, it says that if I have X type of BIOS chip, I cannot use a dual BIOS. The other site says nothing about it. Since my motherboard came with a hacked chip (it plays all games, but in Japanese), does this mean I can get a switchable EPROM to work on it?

-> Chris1, cutting off that cartridge lock is safe then?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
-> Chris1, cutting off that cartridge lock is safe then? [/B]

I have a few of the cartridge holders around,I've been through STV boards like water..
Though I can't say for sure that taking it off is safe..
I haven't had enough experience with the STV stuff yet..
What I do is take the two side clips off that go into the cart to make it easier to get the cart in..
I leave the cart holder on but remove those clips..
This way all I need to do is pull down on the handle and pull cart forward while pulling up..
I never have a problem with the games not working having the two clips off of my US & Japanese board.
(I kept two full cart holders just incase)

It doesn't need to be cut off..
It has two screws underneath that hold it then it slides off,though it can be a bitch to slide off.

I have a third Japanese board that I removed the cart holder from totally and it's a lot easier to get the carts in..
But I believe with enough knocking around the cart may lose contact this way..though it's never happened to me..
I use this board a lot so I wanted to make it user friendly plus my other boards have the expansion boards on them..
I want to put on of those UNI Bios chips on this board..

These boards were not made as easy to use as the MVS boards..It's very easy to exchange carts on an MVS board whereas it's much harder to exchange carts on the STV....
That cart holder has a reason for being on the board....It stabilizes the cart when inserted..for extended use within an Arcade..
I guess Arcade owners weren't exchanging the games out of these as much..

I always take the boards out of the cab when I change carts (It's easy enough.)..I'm afraid that I'm going to crack the boards if I try changing the carts within the Big Red..

This is a US board I have on Ebay..Notice I took off the two clips that hold the cart..That's the way I use the boards..

Neo_022.jpg

Like I said..I haven't had enough experience with the STV stuff yet..to say what's right or wrong..
I just do what makes it easier for me to use them..

(Ignore the Print Meter)

CarlDMC

Tung's Hair,
My problem is that since my motherboard didn't come with its original BIOS, I have no idea if it will be compatible with the Dual, or if I have to piggyback.

One more thing. I noticed there are no DOP switches. I see jumpers instead. Can I mess with these? Is this how I can change the difficulty level, and audio during demonstration play?

Last edited: