Sega I/O rev.B image issues

FreedomGundam

New Challenger
So I got myself a Sega I/O rev.B for one of my Naomi. (this one: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img11/2161/igjb.jpg)

The problem is, I'm getting a slightly jittery/stuttering image that's also a tad dark.

The Naomi is set on 15kHz (dip switches are set to On/Off/Off/Off) and connected to the Sega I/O, and that goes into my Supergun that has a JROK Sync Cleaner and a JROK v4.1 that's outputting via Component.

I'm pretty sure it's not my Supergun nor my Naomi motherboard, as the same setup and same cables with my Capcom I/O works just fine with a bright clear image that doesn't jitter.

Is there just some tweaking that I'm not fully aware of, or is there a component on the board that's probably crapping out?

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
first lets connect a vga montor to the naomi to see if its solid. switch to 32mhz during test
second lets check volatges of 5vlt, 12volt and 3.3 volt while system is runing

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Can try a GBS-8220, see what happens.

My JROCK 3.1 does not quite like my naomi 1 setup.

Naomi really likes Hi res (31 khz) and a Tri-Sync/Computer monitor.

Last edited:

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
i have old sony lcd with ext box that works perfectly with the naomi1/2. theft store buy for 7 bucks. recent trolls would want me to be ashamed of that lol

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
i have old sony lcd with ext box that works perfectly with the naomi1/2. theft store buy for 7 bucks. recent trolls would want me to be ashamed of that lol

I'm actually giving one away at the moment. Know anyone who would want it?

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
jibbababy or whatever that troll is
mine works great. :)

FreedomGundam

New Challenger
Thanks for the input and the suggestions guys.

I've checked my voltages. Now, the thing is, my Naomi is powered by a 120W PC power supply, whereas my Supergun has a 5V 6A / 12V 2A switching power supply; the I/O board is powered by the Supergun. The only connections between the Naomi and the I/O board are the VGA cable and the USB cable.

So the voltages no matter if I'm running the Sega I/O or the Capcom I/O are as follows (all taken under load/running):
On the Naomi's side: 3.15V, 5.01V, 11.83V
On the I/O's side: 5.05V, 11.63V

The VGA output of the Naomi on 31kHz works just fine as expected.
And like I said before, while the setup gets me the semi-flickering image with the Sega I/O, the SAME setup works just fine with the Capcom I/O in place instead (both while running on 15kHz)

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Setup sounds fine.

I'd try the rev. B with another Naomi Rev. B. setup. one that works fine.

Just swap out the I/Os. See if low res still works.

That 'll tell you more about the I/O.

FreedomGundam

New Challenger
Setup sounds fine.

I'd try the rev. B with another Naomi Rev. B. setup. one that works fine.

Just swap out the I/Os. See if low res still works.

That 'll tell you more about the I/O.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with an existing Naomi setup running locally, let alone one running a Sega I/O Rev.B (I mean, logically, we all want to be using the Capcom I/O, or the Sega I/O Ver.2).

I was told by someone else on another forum that their Rev.B net them a similar jittery/flickering image; I'm wondering if that's "normal"? I say "normal" in the sense that I'm presuming that very little people run their Naomis on low res, so not as many people would've needed to investigate or troubleshoot this issue that I'm having...

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
It's funny you mention that, most people with a capcom I/O run naomi on Low res.

And most people with a non-capcom I/O run a naomi on HI res.