SEGA Genesis video problems

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
SEGA Genesis model 1 has beautiful video (through RF) until screen goes white ex. "SEGA" logo screen when booting up Sonic the Hedgehog. upon hitting a bright or white background screen the color and sound go out, and the screen goes all floppy.
I opened it and the RF shield seems tight on all corners.

Any suggestions>?
Thanks in advance
George

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Beautiful video through RF?! I'd suggest trying a composite cable. This will give you a significant boost in quality and help determine if the problem is related to your RF cable. Two birds, one stone.

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
Beautiful video through RF?! I'd suggest trying a composite cable. This will give you a significant boost in quality and help determine if the problem is related to your RF cable. Two birds, one stone.

Its not for me, its one I have in my shop. I have no video cables in stock at the moment

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
Sounds power related. My first two guesses would be either a tired 7805 or degraded bypass caps. The main bypass cap is in the wall wart.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Years ago I had the exact same issue. Bright scene and video dropped out. My RF box had a switch between 75 and 1k ohms. I seem to remember it being much more stable at 1k. You could also try bumping your TV brightness/contrast down to see if that has any effect.

Ultimately, I'd say if you want awful-looking video and stability, move on to composite for the best of both worlds.

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
Sounds power related. My first two guesses would be either a tired 7805 or degraded bypass caps. The main bypass cap is in the wall wart.

Can't be the culprit, as I used the same adapter to test another unit and it worked fine.