Screw Music

aegreatone

Sieger's Squire
Ya'll boys ever heard Screw Music. It's when you take a rap song, and you slow down the pitch, it sounds tight. It was pioneered by a famous houston dj name DJ Screw. RIP

http://www.screweduprecords.com/store2.asp

you can get his underground mixtapes at his website his family put up for him. You can buy his above ground releases but be careful, most of them are fake, they just tryin to cash in his name.

let me give you an example of what screw music is, I'll take a mainstream rap song that i think everybody heard before, 2pac - Keep Ya Head Up. And all slow it down for ya, tell me what ya'll think

http://s8.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1G7U4DWSOTQ0L0TGMF8HKYD96H

PUNJABEE

Banned
First off, this has nothing to do with my loathing of rap in general, FYI.

I think slowing down a song to 1/2 speed (ive heard it in all kinds of music, specifically rap) is absolutely RETARDED. You're slowing down the beat of Song X. What the hell?

Idiotic.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
I mainly listen to 60's Motown, 70 funk/disco, 80's to mid 90's rap, (both of them being where the true SOUL of black artistry is) early Punk Rock, Techno / Electronica and Jazz. Thus while I find that interesting it does nothing for me. Good links though.

MERCENARY X99

aegreatone

Sieger's Squire
PUNJABEE said:

I think slowing down a song to 1/2 speed (ive heard it in all kinds of music, specifically rap) is absolutely RETARDED. You're slowing down the beat of Song X. What the hell?

Idiotic.

it's not half speed, it's 22.5% of the pitch. so, it's roughly 1/4 of the speed. Anyways, yeah, i dont like anything else besides rap being slowed down. I heard a few folks screw non-rap music and it sucks and i just ain't feelin it.

How's it retarded? It's got a nice errie, sluggish sound to it. Back in the days it used to be cool, like i used to go on Cullen and pick me up some dj screw mixtapes back in his shop but now, everybody in texas is on the screw tip. And now you got assholes who are taking it mainstream. Now everybody gonna say they invented Screw. it's all fucked up, holla

PUNJABEE

Banned
aegreatone said:
it's not half speed, it's 22.5% of the pitch. so, it's roughly 1/4 of the speed. Anyways, yeah, i dont like anything else besides rap being slowed down. I heard a few folks screw non-rap music and it sucks and i just ain't feelin it.

How's it retarded? It's got a nice errie, sluggish sound to it. Back in the days it used to be cool, like i used to go on Cullen and pick me up some dj screw mixtapes back in his shop but now, everybody in texas is on the screw tip. And now you got assholes who are taking it mainstream. Now everybody gonna say they invented Screw. it's all fucked up, holla

Oh its a quarter of the speed. That's better. Sorry man, that's just idiotic. Why enjoy a song at it's full speed? LETS SLOW IT DOWN!

wiiiiiiigggggggyyyyy wwwwwwwoooooowwwwww wwwoooowwww... maaaaannnnnnnggggg..... sssssshhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttt..........uuuuuuuggggghhhhhh.

Um. No thanks.

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
It recreates the way you feel when you are gone off some purple. Or so I have heard. I like it somewhat, but I don't like all my music screwed up.

aegreatone

Sieger's Squire
60's Motown, 70 funk/disco, 80's to mid 90's rap

say, go to thescrewshop.com forum and sign up, they got most of DJ Screw's Tracklistings from his mixtapes, even the rare ass ones which were personals or ones that are lost.

DJ Screw was a tight ass dj, he would mix, blend, chop, scratch his ass off. What set him different was that he slowed down his dj mixes. He's tracklistings were suberb and most of his mixtapes were from 94-00 so ya gonna hear some good 90's rap music and he put allot of motown music like Marvin Gaye and some 70's 80's music. He even put a few Phil Collins songs on em.

I suggest you checkin out On A Pint, u might like that one:

On A Pint ‘95

Side A

1. Notorious Big - Big Poppa (Freestyle w/Al-B, 380D, Daryl, Toe)
2. ? - ? (Freestyle w/ )
3. Anita Ward - Ring My Bell
4. Snoop Dogg ft. Tha Dogg Pound - Ain’t No Fun (If The Homies Can’t Have None)
5. Tom Tom Club - Genius Of Love
6. Rick James - Mary Jane
7. S.O.S. Band - Don’t Stop The Music

Side B

1. Too Short - Cocktails (Freestyle w/Baytown, Al-B, 380D, )
2. Thug Life - How Long Will They Mourn Me
3. C-Bo - Survival In The Garden
4. Bloods & Crips - Piru Love
5. Big Mello - Charge It To The Game
6. Mary J. Blige - My Life
7. Roger Troutman & Zapp - Be Alright

He goes to town on the Ring my Bell mix. It's tight.

Last edited:

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
I LOVE chopped and screw music. Please pay no attention to Punagebee, he blasts on every rap thread and has no idea what he's talking about.

For recent screw check out Michael Watts mix of Mike Jones - Who is Mike Jones. This cd is 500x better than the actual album.

I'd really like to get ahold of some real DJ Screw mixes, but the offical tapes/cds are expensive, plus there's like 5000 of them...

aegreatone

Sieger's Squire
gamejunkie said:
I LOVE chopped and screw music. Please pay no attention to Punagebee, he blasts on every rap thread and has no idea what he's talking about.

For recent screw check out Michael Watts mix of Mike Jones - Who is Mike Jones. This cd is 500x better than the actual album.

I'd really like to get ahold of some real DJ Screw mixes, but the offical tapes/cds are expensive, plus there's like 5000 of them...

Fuck Mike "5000" Watts, 5000 what? Of trash that is. And imo, Mike Jones is wack saying his name 5000 times and giving out his #, that shit is wack but kids in houston love it. SMH, ah well, fuck it, most rap nowadays sucks too but anyways, nah, there not expensive.

If ya lived in houston, go to the shop, tapes cost 10 and cd's are 15. Go on the site and it's only 3 bucks more for shipping.

dont call it "chopped and screw", just call it screw. SCREW DID THAT.

PUNJABEE

Banned
gamejunkie said:

Some dumbfuck doesn't know how to read:

punjabee said:

Who doesn't know what they're talking about? Nice.

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
aegreatone said:
Fuck Mike "5000" Watts, 5000 what? Of trash that is. And imo, Mike Jones is wack saying his name 5000 times and giving out his #, that shit is wack but kids in houston love it. SMH, ah well, fuck it, most rap nowadays sucks too but anyways, nah, there not expensive.

If ya lived in houston, go to the shop, tapes cost 10 and cd's are 15. Go on the site and it's only 3 bucks more for shipping.

dont call it "chopped and screw", just call it screw. SCREW DID THAT.

Dude just check the tape out. It came with the original cd for free at first.

I like what they call chopped and screwed. Screw is dead that's why they call it chopped and screwed, in respect for Screw.

Merc I can't belive you don't like dj screw, he's from your neck of the woods.

The tape are kinda expensive when he's not even the one getting the money for them.

http://www.screweduprecords.com/store2.html

Thank's for the mp3!

aegreatone

Sieger's Squire
gamejunkie said:
Dude just check the tape out. It came with the original cd for free at first.

I like what they call chopped and screwed. Screw is dead that's why they call it chopped and screwed, in respect for Screw.

Merc I can't belive you don't like dj screw, he's from your neck of the woods.

The tape are kinda expensive when he's not even the one getting the money for them.

http://www.screweduprecords.com/store2.html

Thank's for the mp3!

Mike calls it "chopped and screw" to insult DJ Screw and The Screwed Up Click. I remember when Mike Watts used to be called DJ TroubleMaker and he used to sell his mixtapes at the King's Flea called his shop Back Door Entertainment.

And his family runs the site and the shop he used to own on cullen. His mother just passed away but his father is alive and his cousins run the shop.

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
aegreatone said:
Mike calls it "chopped and screw" to insult DJ Screw and The Screwed Up Click. I remember when Mike Watts used to be called DJ TroubleMaker and he used to sell his mixtapes at the King's Flea called his shop Back Door Entertainment.

Are you sure? On the tracks he does he gives credit to DJ Screw.

I'm been meaning to get Sony's Vegas program to tryout some screwed stuff I've been thinking of. Do you know where I could get a instrumental of Ying Yang Twins - Wait? That beat redone would make the perfect screw track.

aegreatone

Sieger's Squire
buttasuperb said:
i never heard of this

they just slow the music waaayy down and that's it?

nah, the technique was made by dj screw, he would mix, blend, mash, chop, scratch and all that good dj shit. Only thing that seperated him from other dj's was that he slowed down his mixes.

I'll try to get a mixtape for ya'll to listen.

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
aegreatone said:
I'll try to get a mixtape for ya'll to listen.

That would be awesome!

I've found an mp3 of the instrumental of Wait, now just to get Vegas :smirk:

After my mix is done I'll make sure to upload it, but it will probably be a week or so...

aegreatone

Sieger's Squire
SUC - Screw Did That

SUC is Screwed Up Click, that's DJ Screw's rap group, they appear on all his mixtapes freestyling and playing their songs and shit. Anyways, they made this song to diss M Watts and other dj's trying to make a name off of Screw and his legacy.

Lyrics:

Screw Did That Lyrics

f/ Al-D

(*talking*)
This for all the DJ A, B, C, D's, wanna be motherfuckers
Whoever you is, my nigga DJ Screw created this style
It's here to stay, you with the ?
You gon respect my nigga Screw

[Chorus]
What the fuck y'all niggas talking bout
Screw did that
You can chop it but respect the fact
Screw did that
Who put this game or flag on the map
Screw did that
What, Screw did that, man Screw did that
Who slowed you records down, and made the style
Screw did that
Longest rappers up bout freestyle
Screw did that
Now they sipping syrup worldwide
Screw did that
Tip your motherfucking hats nigga
Screw did that

[Al-D]
What the fuck y'all niggas talking bout, time for me to break it down
At home sucking your mama titty, when I was running the underground
I been here, done this, now you hoes got me pissed
Fucking over my homie name, over one funky ass minute of fame
If you true to the game act like it then, show some respect
Y'all niggas bore me, show some kind of motherfucking loyalty
DJ Screw the king of the chop, yeah king of the chop
He the reason now, a lot of these motherfuckers hot
But they ain't hollin' at mama and papa Screw, like they supposed to
Don't forget, don't nobody own shit but those two
That go for friends and foes too, bitches and hoes too
Don't stand there with your mouth wide open nigga, do what you do
Sentimental value, the only authentic original Screw
We keeping the dream alive, and paying the family too
Mama Screw told me, you got my permission to spill the gases
And when you scream, scream loud, to set fire under they asses

[Chorus]

[Z-Ro]
Who went from Jimmy Jam to worldwide, Screw did that
Took me from nothing and made me something, you did that
I owe it all to you my nigga, for helping me rise
I thought you would get old with me, why the fuck you have to die
Everybody S.U.C. now, Screw done chopped by who
Probably never met the man, deserve the ghetto are you rich
Bitch nigga you get, out of dodge fast
5,000 watts of skills, 5,000 pounds of trans
Watch what you say in the magazines, ole fat ass nigga
Steady nibbling off my niggas cheese, ole rat ass nigga
I call it like I see it, and I can't be nothing but real
I guess they can't originate, so they do nothing but steal
I'm sick and I'm tired, I'm not gon let it ride no mo'
Better skip town, cause in Houston you hoes can't hide no mo'
My partna Robert Earl Davis, was a man out of music
But the world kicking so much they bitch made, bold niggas be trying to do it

[Chorus]

[Al-D]
He slowed the records down and made the style, now everybody on dick
Michael "5000" Watts in Murda Dog talkin bout, he elevated this shit
Screw's number one, always will be
You got the game from him, the style was named after him
One thing he promised, is that the world was gon be all screwed up
I was on a first Screw tape to hit the market, all screwed up
Yeah its hard to think, when yo mind go blank
Don't believe it, run yo ass in the paint
See when that Keke pimping pens, we all was making paper
Drank up and dripped out, while they got high with the Blanksta
All I wanna do is remember the good times
Botany Boyz, and still, the block that stayed crunk at all times
Al-D and Z-Ro, and the S.U.C. is still in effect
Screw you rest in peace, and they still on yo motherfucking dick

[Z-Ro]
Candy, Juve and all of matter of fact, Screw blew it
Touching nothing but real tracks, cause no jamming no doo-doo
But fuck the milli, that was my man
When I was slipping, he would reach out, to take my hand
Cause it was nothing but love for my nigga, nigga had love for me
So disrespect him, and its gonna be some slugs to see
Cause we the Screwed Up Click, down South we the shit
Body rocking like this, with Mama Screw up in the mix

(*talking*)
S.U.C., let's keep the dream alive man
Original members, extended members
Everybody stand taller

[Chorus]

i'll try to get a mixtape uploaded, holla

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
I stand corrected, thanks for the track. Isn't DJ Screw where the T.I. lil flip feud started?

aegreatone

Sieger's Squire
gamejunkie said:
I stand corrected, thanks for the track. Isn't DJ Screw where the T.I. lil flip feud started?

lol, no, dj screw lived on the southwest side on Cullen. The feud supposedly happen in Cloverland. It's a black neigborhood in southeast houston, right next from the Southeast Latin Sector.

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
aegreatone said:
lol, no, dj screw lived on the southwest side on Cullen. The feud supposedly happen in Cloverland. It's a black neigborhood in southeast houston, right next from the Southeast Latin Sector.

Well, didn't dj screw give lil flip an award that claimed him as the freestyle king or something along those lines?

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
Lil' Flip is the Freestyle King and T.I.P. is the self-proclaimed King of the South. So from what I understand the beef arose from that. And T.I.'s only problem was always with Lil' Flip. They are supposedly cool now after they had that fight in Clover G a coulple of months back.

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
If any of you guys could create a torrent with some screw songs I'll seed.

aegreatone

Sieger's Squire
gamejunkie said:
Well, didn't dj screw give lil flip an award that claimed him as the freestyle king or something along those lines?

that is also a lie, dj screw only presented the plaque. He didn't award it to him. Hump did. Hump is flip's uncle and owner of Suckafree Records. Holla