Scott Weiland is dead.

dgame

Cheng's Errand Boy
10 Year Member
I am smelling like the roses somebody gave me...:buttrock:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Most singers ranges are limited. Unplugged in New York debunks any criticisms of being a mere grumbling/moaner. I'm fascinated when people say things like Cobain wasn't a good singer (among certain other artists). It's like they're afraid to acknowledge he has singing talent. Like it would be embarrassing to admit that he was a good singer and hurt their credibility. The guy could definitely sing.

well we can agree to disagree there. like i said- i dont think he wasn't talented.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Most singers ranges are limited. Unplugged in New York debunks any criticisms of being a mere grumbling/moaner. I'm fascinated when people say things like Cobain wasn't a good singer (among certain other artists). It's like they're afraid to acknowledge he has singing talent. Like it would be embarrassing to admit that he was a good singer and hurt their credibility. The guy could definitely sing.
I honestly think its because few people are paying attention to what he's doing. I've been a vocalist in a few bands over the years, it definetly does not cualify me as being more right than others here, but it does mean that I am more aware of what a singer is doing. Cobain isnt just emotion but also a reasonable amount of technique as well. Nirvana grunge was equal parts punk and folk and that comes through in his vocals. I get that from his singing anyway.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Oh, and by the way the thought of the guy from Linkin Park fronting STP is a joke.

Linkin Park is essentially Hannah Montana for tween boys. Their next album should be called "I Have Feelings And These Are What They Are"..

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Lol. It is bewildering how some very decent bands from now have Linkin Park as big influences on their music. I will admit to liking 2 or 3 songs by them - but in a very similar fashion that I dug a couple of NSync songs: you know its bad but it cant be helped

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I honestly think its because few people are paying attention to what he's doing. I've been a vocalist in a few bands over the years, it definetly does not cualify me as being more right than others here, but it does mean that I am more aware of what a singer is doing. Cobain isnt just emotion but also a reasonable amount of technique as well. Nirvana grunge was equal parts punk and folk and that comes through in his vocals. I get that from his singing anyway.

Agreed. The documentary on the making of "Nevermind" shares some really cool information, and did some really cool things like playing back isolated vocal tracks. It was really cool hearing how Butch Vig had to turn his recording equipment all the way up because Kurt was whispering the vocals so quietly on "Something in the Way." I need to go back and re-watch it.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I always felt that this guy and the vocalist from Pearl Jam sounded alike, in a good way though, they are both very good at what they do. I also feel like this style just exploded during their era, every two bit group tried to emulate them like there was no tomorrow. I didn't get into this type of music until later in my life, I didn't care for it at all when it came out but I can appreciate it a whole lot more now.

bryan

Geese's Thug
I was lucky enough to have seen STP once and seen Weiland and the Wildabouts at Rock on the Range. Stone Temple Pilots always have been a top 5 band for me. I had tickets for next Tuesdays show , but sadly he has passed. Cranked Dead and Bloated when I got the news Friday at 6am and been watching a Wildabouts' concert and jamming to STP in the car since. When I seen STP I made my wife get there at 3 pm and we the first people in line and got on the rail, it was an absolute blast and they even played 7 songs off Core besides all the other hits.

RIP Scott Weiland

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
Neither here nor there but I had read quite a few years ago that the record company was keeping the unplugged performance and other recordings in the vaults essentially waiting for him to OD before they "officially" release it. If true, that's rather shitty.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
Weiland was dead to me in that recent live video of "Vaseline." It's a sad reality when these people can't curb drug addiction(s). :(

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Neither here nor there but I had read quite a few years ago that the record company was keeping the unplugged performance and other recordings in the vaults essentially waiting for him to OD before they "officially" release it. If true, that's rather shitty.

I was wondering why that was never released.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Check out this one:

The original video is taken down but it was him and the new band and he looks beyond gone.

I've read this over and over again...I have for years. He was just a roached out hag-bag on stage more often than not. Nearly impossible to work with, roached pipes. I think he could get it together enough to make a studio album, but I've read many times his modern live performances were terrible more often than not.

I may be wrong, but like I said earlier, STP "officially" stated that the primary reason why they picked up a different singe for the Core Ann tour was because Scott could no longer hit any of those notes live.

The whole thing is tragic, it really is. STP was a really creative band, Core, Purple, Tiny Music and No. 4 are all really great albums. Tons of musical diversity covering all sorts of genera. Their unplugged (although mostly Core songs on the telecast), was superb as well.

But that was then...and this is now...he was a shadow of his former self.

Any time I can say that a band has 4 really great albums...I consider them one of the better bands of all time.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Holy shit, he wasn't even singing in time, let alone in tune. Dude was fucking GONE.