Saturn In the Hunt/Kaitei Daisensou

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
I recently got Kaitei Daisensou (JPN In the Hunt) and at first the game would not boot up. It scared me b/c I recall hearing rumors that it would not run on US modded Saturns, also I've heard from a well knowledgable Saturn friend that Kaitei is stubborn and will not work ALL the time.

So yesterday I dusted the disc off a bit and popped it in. YES, finally, it worked. I had a blast. :)

I had the US version for a year... and no matter how much I tried to master it I could never beat the END BOSS on the continues allowed. HE'S SUCH A BiTCH!

So when I discovered Kaitei Daisensou was FREE PLAY I decided to trade away my US copy and get the import. Call me a bum or cheater, I don't care, I just had to beat the end boss.... :-)

A couple times in the US version I had beaten his first form... then Game Over'ed.
Would you believe he has like six forms, SIX?!?!?!
US IN THE HUNT is impossible to beat!

So I said screw it and let's get the JPN free play version... now, aside from some buggy issues, I'm a content camper. :)

Who else here found US ITH to be incredibly impossible, not to mention "Anger Management Class-inducing?" let's see some hands
BTW, how far did you guys usually get on the US Saturn version? I usually got to the end boss's first form, but sometimes I wouldn't even make it to him, just his stage where it's crazy enough... let alone facing his 6 or 7 forms!
Boy, I wish Darius Gaiden was FREE PLAY sometimes...

ITH with Free Play is so much more relaxing and fun IMO, and you can count the number of continues it takes for you to beat it, and then next time, try to get the continue count down, until you get it to a number low enough that you know you are MASTER GAM3R!

In the US version you had no room for error. So any time I died I just about lost it.

I love the bosses in ITH, particularly stage 3's boss! The Stone Guardian monster who's huge like Godzilla! Where else do you find a shooter where the boss appears in the BEGINNING and stalks you until the very end where he traps you and it's do or die time? Answer: no where else!

The Stage 5 mini-boss Giant EEL is also one of my favorites. In fact, it beautifully graces the cover of the JPN version, as opposed to the FUGLY US cover... yesh

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
I managed to beat the US version of In The Hunt several times, but that was a couple of years ago. it can be done.

I used to be a psycho In The Hunt fan, played it relentlessly for months upon months. I knew that entire game like the back of my hand, but I doubt I could make it through level 1 without dying now.

Put in some long hours and totally throw your life away and you too can beat the US version! :D

Side note: The PSX version of In The Hunt actually played better than the Saturn version. I hate to admit it, but its true. The colors are washed out on the PSX version, but it loads faster and doesn't have as much slowdown as its Saturn counterpart.

Mike

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Steve:

Boy, I wish Darius Gaiden was FREE PLAY sometimes...
Thats one of the only games ive ever beaten, sure is worthwhile :D

GOtta pick up ITH, though ive heard of terrible slowdown??

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I could never beat the last boss of In the Hunt either. Good game though.

I also had problems with the game loading on my original Sega Saturn (US model & game). However, when my first Saturn's CD-ROM drive wore out and I got another US Saturn, In the Hunt never gave me any grief booting up again. Maybe it has something to do with the wear & tear on the CD-ROM drive or something...

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Michael Yagami:
The PSX version of In The Hunt actually played better than the Saturn version.
Bingo

One of the very few occasions when the PSX has done a 2D arcade port better than Saturn.

I have a JPN Saturn and the JPN copy of INH and it's prone to loading like, 40% of the time. Not to mention the slowdown. I actually need to pick up the PSX version again.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
neobuyer:
Michael Yagami:
Bingo

One of the very few occasions when the PSX has done a 2D arcade port better than Saturn.

I have a JPN Saturn and the JPN copy of INH and it's prone to loading like, 40% of the time. Not to mention the slowdown. I actually need to pick up the PSX version again.
Yeah, I learned this one the hard way. I picked up ITH for my Saturn and proptly sold my PSX version for the simple fact that every other shooter played and looked way better on the Saturn than it did on the PSX. Sadly, I was wrong. I mean, ITH still plays well on the Saturn, but the PSX verion is much better in some departments. Go figure.

Mike

Freakit

Host for Orochi
why bother with console ports when you can buy the PCB. :rolleyes:

/me sees someone making a post about roms now angry

but yeah, if you buy neo games then you sure as heck can dish out $130 for a 'In The Hunt' PCB. play it the way it's meant to be played! buttrock

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
neobuyer:
Michael Yagami:
Bingo

Yeah I had both and kept the PSX version. It just plays better and has alot less slowdown.

janelynn

n00b
Are you guys crazy??? I have In the Hunt for both my U.S. Playstation and Saturn. There's no doubt that my Playstation version suffers way more slowdown problems than my Saturn. The nifty thing about the playstation version is the alternate soundtrack available although I still prefer the arcade soundtrack.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Freakit:
but yeah, if you buy neo games then you sure as heck can dish out $130 for a 'In The Hunt' PCB. play it the way it's meant to be played! buttrock
Well, truth be told I used to be able to buys Neo games all the time, but now I wonder where's the money going to come from to pay for SVC:Chaos.

And I, for reasons that even I do not understand, have not been able to bring myself to buy a supergun. And there ARE like 10 or 15 PCBs I'd love to own too.

If I had any patience or foresight I'd have gotten a decent supergun set up 2 years ago.

BIG

sony fanboy
Get the PCB.

There are some levels missing from both the Saturn and PSX versions.