Satoshi Kon has passed away.

Kim Kaphwan

Member,
20 Year Member
Perfect Blue was one hell of a psychological thriller for it's time. I should watch it tonight in his honor.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
RIP
From those movies listed, I've only seen Perfect Blue (which ranks as one of my fave anime movies).
What would you guys recommend from the rest?

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Oh shit... I absolutely love his work.

Just the other day I was watching Perfect Blue again and wondering what he was working on next.

Damn...

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I went out to go see perfect blue
at the theaters since I saw otomo worked on it.
it was different in the subject matter
and the seriousness that was applied to it.
kinda was okay to me.
I still have a special ed. laser disc of it
but that was back when I was a completest
trying to get anything with otomo attached to it.

paranoia agent is actually an interesting series despite it
kind of fizzling out towards the end.
paprika is it's unrelated spiritual sequel.
both worth giving a run through.
in that order.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
One of the very, very few treating the medium as an artform. His death is a terrible loss.

Stephane

Boss Hogg,
:crying::crying::crying:

Damn, really liked "millenium actress" and "paprika"

RIP Satoshi Kon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SGXsKKmwoY&hd=1

paprika.jpg

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
R.I.P Satoshi Kon damn i was realy entertain by perfect blue&tokyo god fathers.His setting...sure were different compared to other anime's out there since they were set in modern times etc.

Last edited:

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
That sucks... I've only seen Perfect Blue and Tokyo Godfathers. They're very different movies, but both very good I thought.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Sad news, that man infused ideas into his work and put the art back into animation. I wonder who will finish his current movie

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
I saw only Paprika and that was a great movie! I've been weary on watching Perfect Blue cause it looked freaky as hell but i'll man up and give it a look see.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
RIP

Paranoia Agent was my favorite work of his. Just the way every episode seemed to add layers onto the simple assault scenario.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I am blind or does the article not say how he died?

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
Terrible loss. the one with the talent to come up with the next Akira is gone. terrible,terrible loss.

According to a post on the website of Madhouse (the anime studio behind all of Satoshi Kon's films and Paranoia Agent), Satoshi Kon died of pancreatic cancer. Listed below is Kon's final message, which was posted to his website the day after he passed away:

"May 18 of this year, an unforgettable day.

My wife and I received the following prognosis from a cardiologist at the Musashino Red Cross Hospital:

"The pancreatic cancer is terminal and has metastasized to the bone. You have at most a half year left."

When I conveyed my concerns for Yume-Miru Kikai to Mr. Maruyama, he said, "It's fine. Don't worry, we'll do whatever it takes."

I cried.

I cried aloud.

With feelings of gratitude for all that is good in this world, I put down my pen.

Well, I'll be leaving now."

-Satoshi Kon

Prior to his passing, Kon was working on his latest film, a children's movie called "Yume-Miru Kikai" (known in English as "Dream Machine").

I cannot recommend Tokyo Godfathers enough- that film takes a bunch of street trash and turns it into something beautiful. Also worth watching are the "Magnetic Rose" segment from "Memories" and "Roujin-Z" (which he worked on as key animator).

Off-topic but also worth mentioning, key animator Shojuro Yamauchi passed away today. His wide body of work included films such as "Lupin The Third: Secret of Mamo", "Urusei Yatusura: Beautiful Dreamer", "Grave of the Fireflies" and "Spirited Away".

It's been a dark half-week for anime directors and animators.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Oh OK, thanks for the info. This may sound really stupid, but I just don't understand cancer. I don't know what it is about cancer that actually kills someone. Is it the tumor itself? Like the tumor basically sucks the life out of an organ until it fails and the person dies?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Damn, pancreatic cancer fuck. That's how my grandma went out, that shit is fucking horrible.

Not cool to hear.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Sad to hear about his passing as I was a big fan of Paranoia Agent, Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers and Paprika. :(

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Often when I say it's too bad a celebrity has died, it's obligatory. Even when it's someone I quite liked. Kon's death is different. He was doing imporant work and had more, much more, to say. It's not just too bad he's dead, it's heartbreaking.