San Francisco & Proposition K

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
With all the fuss in the news over Proposition 8 (which I personally hope doesn't pass), I was rather surprised this morning when I caught a quick news graphic showing the other Propositions being put up on the ballot in California this go-'round, particularly with Proposition K:

San Francisco would become the first major U.S. city to decriminalize prostitution if voters next month approve Proposition K, a measure that forbids local authorities from investigating, arresting or prosecuting anyone for selling sex.

The ballot question technically would not legalize prostitution since state law still prohibits it, but the measure would eliminate the power of local law enforcement officials to go after prostitutes.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/21/with-proposition-k-san-fr_n_136634.html

I'm actually surprised it hasn't gotten nearly as much noise in the news from the "Oh noes, deyz ruining our moral fyberz" crowd given the stir that Proposition 8 has made.

So...any thoughts people?
:smirk:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
You know why prostitution should stay illegal?

AIDS.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You know why prostitution should stay illegal?

AIDS.

Yeah, like passing this law is going to make AIDS spread like wildfire.

If people want to pay prostitures to have sex, they know what they're getting into. I don't care.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yeah, like passing this law is going to make AIDS spread like wildfire.

If people want to pay prostitures to have sex, they know what they're getting into. I don't care.

:scratch:

You think the people who hire whores don't fuck other people too? Of course it's going to spread.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I'm actually surprised it hasn't gotten nearly as much noise in the news from the "Oh noes, deyz ruining our moral fyberz" crowd given the stir that Proposition 8 has made.

Mmm.

Though K probably is far less likely to be a close vote, it is a bit telling.

Rade K

20 Year Member
:scratch:

You think the people who hire whores don't fuck other people too? Of course it's going to spread.

And making prostitution illegal has quelled the spread of aids?

No. Wrong. People are going to pay to poke. No law is going to stop it.

As for the spread of AIDS, I blame poor education.

Hell, here in Hamilton, some douchebag was in court recently for knowingly infecting his unpaid consentual partners with the Hiv. What are we going to do there? Lock people with AIDS up?

Please.

Grow up, ki.

We're never going to cure AIDS. Not even with an infinite number of Elton Johns performing an infinite number of benefit concerts. We can only spread awareness and ecourage sex education over what retards like Palin believe in. Prevention. Protection. Blah Blah blah.

Man, I'so glad McCain is going down like the Titanic.

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Legalizing prostitution would do a lot more for disease control.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
And making prostitution illegal has quelled the spread of aids?

No. Wrong. People are going to pay to poke. No law is going to stop it.

As for the spread of AIDS, I blame poor education.

Hell, here in Hamilton, some douchebag was in court recently for knowingly infecting his unpaid consentual partners with the Hiv. What are we going to do there? Lock people with AIDS up?

Please.

Grow up, ki.

We're never going to cure AIDS. Not even with an infinite number of Elton Johns performing an infinite number of benefit concerts. We can only spread awareness and ecourage sex education over what retards like Palin believe in. Prevention. Protection. Blah Blah blah.

Man, I'so glad McCain is going down like the Titanic.

Me, grow up?

I'm not the one sitting behind a computer in Canada typing about how I'm glad a certain American presidantial candidate is going to lose.

P.S. -We'll just see how this proposition K pans out if it passes, won't we? Not that it's going to affect you at all.

P.P.S. - I know you read this post... you just don't want to say anything now. :tickled:

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Making prostitution illegal hasn't quelled the spread of AIDS anymore than it has quelled the spread of prostitution.

Rade K

20 Year Member
Me, grow up?

I'm not the one sitting behind a computer in Canada typing about how I'm glad a certain American presidantial candidate is going to lose.

P.S. -We'll just see how this proposition K pans out if it passes, won't we? Not that it's going to affect you at all.

P.P.S. - I know you read this post... you just don't want to say anything now. :tickled:

As America goes, so goes the world. As a Canadian, I'm doubly concerned with what America does. It would be foolish to not take an interest in the turnout of this election.

Do you have any idea how much the world is frustrated with how America's idiots have voted the last eight years?

To all the Bush and McCain voters on NG.com, you're objectively wrong.

When Obama's elected, the world will be happy, and for good reason.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Legal Prostitution works in the netherlands. Makes things a lot safer for the prostitutes as well.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I think if it passess it will be the first step in turning craigs list into a pay service or at least ad based.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
As America goes, so goes the world. As a Canadian, I'm doubly concerned with what America does. It would be foolish to not take an interest in the turnout of this election.

Do you have any idea how much the world is frustrated with how America's idiots have voted the last eight years?

To all the Bush and McCain voters on NG.com, you're objectively wrong.

When Obama's elected, the world will be happy, and for good reason.

I'm with you on this one Rade, always have been.

Sure, it's your election, but don't go on like it should only matter to you. Last I checked, the US was the last superpower. So, like, that has some influence.

Anyways. Legal prostitution won't spread AIDS any more than illegal prostitution. Hate to break it to you man, but a lot of motherfuckers are going to whores right now. I doubt business will boom if it becomes legal, it'll just be easier. Trust me, supply and demand are at a pretty comfortable level right now.

It's like when people say that legalizing weed would turn everyone into potheads... No, the people that currently smoke pot will do so more conveniently and without fear (unless they get all paranoid). If the illegality of pot is the only reason you don't smoke it, you're an unusual case, pure and simple. Chances are, you oppose it on moral grounds, if you do at all.

Same with prositution. I don't think there will be more johns, and therefore, I don't think AIDS will spead more.

Fuck, if prostituion eventually became legal, then they could implement standard regular STI tests, and actually reduce the spread of AIDS. So sorry ki, I disagree with pretty much everything you said.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm with you on this one Rade, always have been.

Sure, it's your election, but don't go on like it should only matter to you. Last I checked, the US was the last superpower. So, like, that has some influence.

Anyways. Legal prostitution won't spread AIDS any more than illegal prostitution. Hate to break it to you man, but a lot of motherfuckers are going to whores right now. I doubt business will boom if it becomes legal, it'll just be easier. Trust me, supply and demand are at a pretty comfortable level right now.

It's like when people say that legalizing weed would turn everyone into potheads... No, the people that currently smoke pot will do so more conveniently and without fear (unless they get all paranoid). If the illegality of pot is the only reason you don't smoke it, you're an unusual case, pure and simple. Chances are, you oppose it on moral grounds, if you do at all.

Same with prositution. I don't think there will be more johns, and therefore, I don't think AIDS will spead more.

Fuck, if prostituion eventually became legal, then they could implement standard regular STI tests, and actually reduce the spread of AIDS. So sorry ki, I disagree with pretty much everything you said.

Ok, now this was a good argument. I can get down with this because you actually spent time to articulate your points. Something that the others half assed. I am now in agreement.

one

as registered voter in San Francisco I'll probably vote in favor of this. It's not hard to get a prostitue here anyways. This would just regulate it. Making it safer, requiring the women (or men) to be tested. I'm sure there will still be illegal prostitution. You wont totally stop it. But atleast this way, something people are going to do anyway can be regulated. And perhaps taxed to help our cities funds.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
wow what a witty slogan, gg lonesage

Propositioners for Proposition K

aria

Former Moderator
Yeah, the Netherlands-factor is what I thought of too.

Might as well rename the city "San Framsterdam"

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Does anybody have numbers for people who have HIV/AIDS in the state of Nevada where prostitution is legal?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Brothels are legal down here :P

Only a few years ago now, probably to make the sex workers job a bit safer than being on the street.