Samurai Warriors opinions?

Himuragames

Crossed Swords Squire
I bought Samurai Warriors last week looking for something to play for PS2(Besides the great Neo system). I thought it was a clone of Dynasty Warriors, but I turned out to be very good. What are some of your thoughts on this game?

Bonus question:

Do you think something like this would work in the arcades? :D (It would need a memory card or something similar)
Thanks

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Samurai Warriors and Dynasty Warriors are both developed by Koei, and they both aim for the same type of game, if you want to call them "clones", that should not be good.

The game is really good, but after unlocking most things, it becames awfully repetitive.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
koei is the master of recycling. they make snk look like the lumber industry.

Himuragames

Crossed Swords Squire
Thanks didn't think of it that way

Thank you for the correction. I really enjoy the game play of both games :buttrock: What do you think an interesting new series of this type of game?

Maybe - Something based on Rome or Greece (I think this would be interesting.... maybe godly intervention...hmmmm)

Mushiki said:
Samurai Warriors and Dynasty Warriors are both developed by Koei, and they both aim for the same type of game, if you want to call them "clones", that should not be good.

The game is really good, but after unlocking most things, it becames awfully repetitive.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Himuragames said:
Thank you for the correction. I really enjoy the game play of both games :buttrock: What do you think an interesting new series of this type of game?

Maybe - Something based on Rome or Greece (I think this would be interesting.... maybe godly intervention...hmmmm)

Yes, that would be interesting, still, I believe that will never happen... maybe more Sengoku Musou, but we will definately see more and more Sangoku-based games.

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
Unfortunately I'm unfamiliar with the story behind the Japanese revolution. So the level designs didn't have that much of an impact as with Dynasty Warriors.

The first character I picked was Hanzo Hattori, this ninja kicks ass. His missions involve the assasination of other enemy generals, but his combos and musou effects are much better than those featured in the DW series.

I heard there is only a total of 15 characters but with the amount of items, weapons and abilities to unlock, it more than makes up for the roster.

DW fans will pick this game up regardless. I'm waiting on DW4: Empires and Crimson Sea 2 currently.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Well, if it were in Rome, Greece, anything, I'd bet Lu Bu will STILL be in the game. Outside the Crimson Sea series, they just have to put the man in everything.

In the News: Koei does France!

Kid 1: Hey man! Did you play that new Battle of France Koei game?

Kid 2: Yeah, I can't seem to get to Napoleon.

Kid 1: Me too. His highest ranking General LU BU keeps on killing me.

Kid 2: How did Napoleon get Lu Bu to work for him?

Kid 1: Not sure. You think it's just some excuse to get Lu Bu in the game?

Kid 2: Probably. But they did say his horse was legendary in speed. Maybe it ran some thousand leagues, worked for Napoleon, and came back to kick butt in China again before going to the Japanese underworld.

Kid 1: Ooooo kaaaaaaay. Well, see ya!

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
i detest the game. how the hell is it so fucking popular here. the repetition of the game astounds me. i suppose its popular with ppl who think hit a button in rythym and watching dots on a screen is fun...

going through the castles is my idea of hell.. if i was left in a room and forced to play it id kill myself.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
The funny part, in some ways, I kind of agree with you. I never expected the game to sell well in the states, not at all. I can understand in Asia, where the 3 Kingdoms story may have more fans and people to relate the game to the books. However, somehow, the story is breaking Western ground and people are coming up with favorite people and stuff. I don't think the game would get any big merit if it wasn't for people getting into the history behind the game. (The rest of them, the casuals, must be getting into it for the sheer ability to finish a round taking on 300+ people with one bad mofo of a general and their bodyguards)

At first, I did wonder myself, as how this would get a look if you have more significant dungeon crawlers with more general gameplay elements like the D&D games (Dark Alliance/Heroes/etc), and such. I, myself, just love the Dungeon crawlers, even ones dressed as big war fields with arcane magic mixed in, but I never thought these games would really take off.

I felt the same as you, when I played Dynasty Warriors. Though I did like the idea of getting on horseback and riding through the field. I was already familiar with the Romance of the 3 Kingdom games since Bandit Kings of China, way back when. But somehow, putting the game and the historical book together, kind of gets you into the characters in the games. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it, but once you get to know the characters, you kind of feel the love of playing as them.

I guess I'm one odd person, I guess. I'm one of the ones that loved the way Romance of the 3 Kingdoms 8 is set up, because you get to play as a character that's related to one of the many characters, in the game, and even get to make new legends of your own. (Wanna play as the Son or Daughter of Lu Bu? Go right ahead! Laugh as your father checks up on you, like some concerned parent, and it's Lu Bu.) The RPG aspect of 8 really puts a big romantic and emotional touch to the series, and I definitely like that. And yes, KOEI is still very good about making strategy games in which Emotions and relations actually are a very important part of the strategy and gameplay. No other company creates games like that. Still, none of their games are for everybody. However, unlike many other Niche games, the ROTK fans are high in number, and ensure good sales. It grabs the hearts of those sympathetic to the chinese and those stories that talk about the strife, that happened, in order to unify it. As Jackie Chan said, himself. Everybody knows about War.

Last edited:

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
Kirk Foiden said:
The funny part, in some ways, I kind of agree with you. I never expected the game to sell well in the states, not at all. I can understand in Asia, where the 3 Kingdoms story may have more fans and people to relate the game to the books. However, somehow, the story is breaking Western ground and people are coming up with favorite people and stuff. I don't think the game would get any big merit if it wasn't for people getting into the history behind the game. (The rest of them, the casuals, must be getting into it for the sheer ability to finish a round taking on 300+ people with one bad mofo of a general and their bodyguards)

At first, I did wonder myself, as how this would get a look if you have more significant dungeon crawlers with more general gameplay elements like the D&D games (Dark Alliance/Heroes/etc), and such. I, myself, just love the Dungeon crawlers, even ones dressed as big war fields with arcane magic mixed in, but I never thought these games would really take off.

I felt the same as you, when I played Dynasty Warriors. Though I did like the idea of getting on horseback and riding through the field. I was already familiar with the Romance of the 3 Kingdom games since Bandit Kings of China, way back when. But somehow, putting the game and the historical book together, kind of gets you into the characters in the games. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it, but once you get to know the characters, you kind of feel the love of playing as them.

I guess I'm one odd person, I guess. I'm one of the ones that loved the way Romance of the 3 Kingdoms 8 is set up, because you get to play as a character that's related to one of the many characters, in the game, and even get to make new legends of your own. (Wanna play as the Son or Daughter of Lu Bu? Go right ahead! Laugh as your father checks up on you, like some concerned parent, and it's Lu Bu.) The RPG aspect of 8 really puts a big romantic and emotional touch to the series, and I definitely like that. And yes, KOEI is still very good about making strategy games in which Emotions and relations actually are a very important part of the strategy and gameplay. No other company creates games like that. Still, none of their games are for everybody. However, unlike many other Niche games, the ROTK fans are high in number, and ensure good sales. It grabs the hearts of those sympathetic to the chinese and those stories that talk about the strife, that happened, in order to unify it. As Jackie Chan said, himself. Everybody knows about War.

i just wish the game had a deeper fighting system, i wish i could really master it and wade into enemies and take no damage coz im a legend.... more combos, defense, avoiding and reversing etc. something like spikeout plays would be awesome. the way enemies stand around doing nothing and the graphics engine also give me the shits... each to their own of course.. just my opinion, not trying to ruin the thread :)

Himuragames

Crossed Swords Squire
A little unrelated

Do you think they will come out with another Spike Out (I know of the other 2 games)? I played orginal Spike Out in Tokyo. I thought is was such an Awesome game. To bad it never made it to arcades here :very_ang:

beelzebubble said:
i just wish the game had a deeper fighting system, i wish i could really master it and wade into enemies and take no damage coz im a legend.... more combos, defense, avoiding and reversing etc. something like spikeout plays would be awesome. the way enemies stand around doing nothing and the graphics engine also give me the shits... each to their own of course.. just my opinion, not trying to ruin the thread :)

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
beelzebubble said:

er... If you play on the hardest difficutly in either DW4 or Chaos mode in Samurai Warriors the enemies don't stand there. On the other hand they also become very annoying. Enemies interrupt your combos over and over again and you need a character with high defense to get through the levels.

Like Kirk Foiden mentioned, the DW series is popular because of the way they managed to capture the history in battles. It's the little things Koei did in DW3 that made the game great and DW4 only improved on it. eg.
Battle of Mt.Ding Jun, Xiahou Yuan threatans Huang Zhong "I'll cut you in half!". The irony here, is that historically it is Xiahou Yuan who gets cut in half during this battle.

Liu Bei's death scene in DW4 is one of the most memorable, "I shall return to the garden". It was at the peach garden, were Liu Bei, Zhang Fei and Guan Yu swore and oath of brotherhood, though born apart on different days they swore to die at the same time, at the same place. Guan Yu's death scene is similar "Brothers I am sorry but I must break our oath".

Other than that I don't tire of defeating masses of enemies with one character. However Samurai Warriors tends to be different. Whilst defeating certain gererals is the key, you are given way too many tasks to complete and very little time to do it in battles. I think it is only possible to complete all tasks in Chaos mode. So far I like the personalities of the new characters, but I'm not familiar with their history at all.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
Himuragames said:
Do you think they will come out with another Spike Out (I know of the other 2 games)? I played orginal Spike Out in Tokyo. I thought is was such an Awesome game. To bad it never made it to arcades here :very_ang:

its coming out all jazzed up with new graphics (the final edition) for xbox sometime this year. cant wait myself :)