Samurai Spirits soundtrack box, July 7th!!!

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
On July 7th, the Samurai Spirits soundbox will be ready to go from the land of Japan. No solid info yet, but it looks like it will include 5-7 discs. Speculation is it will include the soundtracks for the 5 core games, and maybe even the elusive Samurai Spirits RPG douuble disc set.

Will post more info when available.

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
HOLY EXPLOSIVE FECES BATMAN

Too bad I already have SS1-4 OST's and a couple AST's as well.

Did they ever release a SS5 OST?

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
You'll have to keep me updated on this one so we can get 'em at the same time. ;)

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
buttasuperb said:
Did they ever release a SS5 OST?
Here's the info I've gathered so far. The "Samurai Spirits NEO-GEO's Soundtrack Collection Box" (serial number DECX-11) is being released by Sony, the folks behind "The King of Fighters NEO-GEO's Soundtrack 10th Anniversary Memorial Box." The SamSpi box will go on sale in Japan on 7/7/04 for 8800 yen, and will contain 5 discs -- the original soundtracks for the 5 MVS installments in the series: SamSpi (SamSho), Shin SamSpi (SamSho II), SS Zankuro Musouken (SS III), SS Amakusa Kourin (SS IV), and SS Zero (SS V).

The OST CD for SS Zero (SS V) was originally intended for release by Scitron Discs on 3/24/04, the same day as the KOF'03 OST CD. The SS Zero OST release was cancelled, while the KOF'03 OST release went as planned. Sony's KOF CD box set didn't contain the KOF'03 OST, so apparently this lack of conflict is what allowed Scitron Discs to release the KOF'03 OST themselves. It appears that Sony was able to negotiate with SNK Playmore to be allowed to include the SS Zero OST in the SamSpi CD box set, and this is likely the reason Scitron Discs was forced to cancel their release of their SS Zero OST CD.

It appears that first pressings of the SamSpi box will include some sort of bonus item(s), but the nature of the bonus have not been announced. The box itself will be illustrated by Shiroi Eiji, SNK's original illustrator for the SamSpi game series.

Shiroi Eiji is currently writing a column for SNK World under that pen-name, but it appears that she is doing most of her recent (non-NEO) work under the name Mera Zin. Here's her official site: Quarter House's FRONT LINE.

--Chris

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Cool, thanks for the info Dash no Chris.

slerch666

updyke,
Chalk up another batch of great info to Dash no Chris!

Thanks for the info on that one!

Hellsing

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Thanks for the info dash no chris and verbatum I will be checking this one out.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Leaving the two HNG64 Samurai Shodown OSTs out of this collection is nothing short of a crime. Regardless of whether or not you liked the games or its transition to 3D, anyone who doesn't say the music kicked all measures of ass it out of their minds. The sound quality on the OSTs was astounding as well, which makes it all the worse for leaving it out.

Gandara/Shiki/Yuga/Hanma's themes = :buttrock:

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
Fygee said:
Leaving the two HNG64 Samurai Shodown OSTs out of this collection is nothing short of a crime.
Agreed. I was very surprised at their absence. The RPG and the PSOne 3D SamSpi being left out wasn't difficult to understand, but the Hyper NEO games? Incomprehensible.

BTW, my company -- Hoteiya Las Vegas -- is accepting preorders for this boxed set (already got my copy reserved). Our website's database currently lists this item at $92.63. However, for 5 of the last 6 days, the U.S. dollar has weighed in at just above 110 yen. If the dollar can maintain this level when this boxed set is released, we'll be able to list it at $88.00.

--Chris

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
BTW, here's something no SamSpi fan should be without (I'm contacting my buddy in Japan to have him pick this up for me so I won't have to go without it, either):

(TITLE) Shinban: Tange Sazen [New Edition: Tange Sazen]
(AUTHOR) Mera Zin
(PUBLISHER) Leed-sha
(ISBN#) 484582728X
(ON SALE) 11/25/2003
(PRICE) 550 yen
(PAGE CT) 114 pages

The story of one-eyed, one-armed swordsman Tange Sazen has been the subject of numerous Japanese novels, movies, and manga over the years -- as well as being the design inspiration for the Guilty Gear series' character, Baiken. "Shinban: Tange Sazen" is a new manga adaptation, by Shiroi Eiji (writing under her other pen-name, Mera Zin). As soon as I get my hands on a copy of this book, I'll post more info.

BTW, Shiroi Eiji / Mera Zin is a big fan of American comic books. Here's a "report manga" she drew, documenting her experience at Universal Studios Japan's "The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man: The Ride."

--Chris