Samurai Shodown V Classic-Shock WIP?

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Found a new artwork and wondered what it would look like on an insert.

what do you think?
ssvwip.jpg

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I like the art, but maybe the logo could be moved to the left of something - since things seem to be a little bare on that side.

I'm not really sure though - could you blow the picture up a little bit so I could make out the details better?

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
galfordo said:
I like the art, but maybe the logo could be moved to the left of something - since things seem to be a little bare on that side.

I'm not really sure though - could you blow the picture up a little bit so I could make out the details better?

Yeah i knew that was comin.
Heres where im at right now.
ssvwip2.jpg

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
NeoCverA said:
Yeah i knew that was comin.
Heres where im at right now.

Dude ... you just made it smaller :spock:.

Anyway, I'll wait 'til the beta version comes out :).

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
Nice work. :D I think that might be the art from the Japanese PS2 release... right? I like the logo placement.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Orochi Iori Y said:
I think that might be the art from the Japanese PS2 release... right?

Yeah, looking through SNKP's site, I discovered that it is infact the Jap PS2 cover artwork. Its an alternate choice i suppose. Heres what i have done

ssv.jpg

Close-up of the back here

Last edited:

Suragu

Quiz Detective
Dude, that is super sweet. nice layout job on the back. Any chance of getting a version of that with the black theme instead of gray?

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Suragu said:
Dude, that is super sweet. nice layout job on the back. Any chance of getting a version of that with the black theme instead of gray?

Yeah i can do that, I know how much you love the black inserts.

Heres a FINAL version of the Classic-Shock version (my style).
ssv2altb-copy.jpg

Heres one for you Dave (black insert)
ssv2altdw-copy.jpg

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Once again great work, how do you put these together so fast? My photoshop skills are slow :( hehe. Thinking about buying some shockboxes even though I have all full kits, but hey that's just more money dumped into this hobby.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
That's very creative. Looks good.
I'm trying to fish up something right now. Plus will update my KOM2
today.
-BB

Hellsing

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Damn your good NeoCverA! I think the black background is better because it helps show the lighter colors of the front.
BTW what photoshop version do you use?

Neon_Sonic

Setsuna's Owl Keeper
ssv2altb-copy.jpg

Hmm... personally, I think this needs a lot of work. The spine and front are pretty sound, though I think that you should shrink down the logo on the front a little and maybe put a dark blue glow around it.

The back, however, is quite a mess, in my opinion. I kind of like the effect of having old-looking writing in the background, but when it is clear enough for parts to be clearly readable, it looks rather cluttered and noticable that parts are covered by screenshots and the like. Maybe you should consider playing around with gradients and some filters.

As for the red-colored images that kind of fade in and out, just get rid of them totally, please, unless maybe you want to make the image at the top a main focal point of the back. It's hard to address specific things when there a lot of different layouts you could use. As it sits right now, it's just way too cluttered and thrown together. Here's a layout that might look better.

thing1.jpg

That plus something done to the written background that makes it less prominent.

sQuareh4t3r

formerly "sQuareh4t3r", then "MacGuffin", now "sQu
Here's the cover of the PS2 version:

p_ps2_samurai_01.jpg

Why not put the Samurai Shodown 5 logo in the same place as the one in the picture, at about the same size? I think that that would be the best course of action, and it would look really nice and balanced. Also, like Neon Sonic said, put a "glow" of sorts around the logo so it doesn't just blend into the art on the cover. Just my two cents. :D

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
NeoCverA said:
Yeah i can do that, I know how much you love the black inserts.

Heres one for you Dave (black insert)
ssv2altdw-copy.jpg

Very cool! I love the new back, I don't see any problem with it at all... :D

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Hellsing said:
Damn your good NeoCverA! I think the black background is better because it helps show the lighter colors of the front.
BTW what photoshop version do you use?

I use 6.0

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Neon_Sonic said:
Hmm... personally, I think this needs a lot of work. The spine and front are pretty sound, though I think that you should shrink down the logo on the front a little and maybe put a dark blue glow around it.

The back, however, is quite a mess, in my opinion. I kind of like the effect of having old-looking writing in the background, but when it is clear enough for parts to be clearly readable, it looks rather cluttered and noticable that parts are covered by screenshots and the like. Maybe you should consider playing around with gradients and some filters.

As for the red-colored images that kind of fade in and out, just get rid of them totally, please, unless maybe you want to make the image at the top a main focal point of the back. It's hard to address specific things when there a lot of different layouts you could use. As it sits right now, it's just way too cluttered and thrown together. Here's a layout that might look better.

thing1.jpg

That plus something done to the written background that makes it less prominent.

Can't please everyone that is certain. I always appreciate your criticism; however, this is one time I probably will not be making much more changes due to the fact that I personally like the final back upadate I have done. I will do what you suggested just to see it (always keep an open mind). You never know. I really do not see a problem with being able to read any of the text or the BG image taking up too much attention.

Heres a link to a larger zoomed in look at the Back of the insert.
http://home.grandecom.net/~neocvera/ssv2zoom.jpg

The only thing i noticed is an allignment issue with the screenshots (not evenly alligned).

Last edited:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
squareh4t3r said:
Here's the cover of the PS2 version:

p_ps2_samurai_01.jpg

Why not put the Samurai Shodown 5 logo in the same place as the one in the picture, at about the same size? I think that that would be the best course of action, and it would look really nice and balanced. Also, like Neon Sonic said, put a "glow" of sorts around the logo so it doesn't just blend into the art on the cover. Just my two cents. :D

heh, anytime i have attempted to use a small logo, it gets attacked! I wish I could link to all the times ive tried that. The logo will stay large (Bigger, Badder, Better).

I could toy around with location but I personally like it where it sits currently.

*I will note that I do not have this title nor do I intend on purchasing it so really it is all for the community that does have it or intends to purchase the game, etc.

with that in mind, there are no criticisms/suggestions that will go ignored/ untested.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
heres a quick play at your layout Neon
thing1.jpg
neolay.jpg

I think you will still feel there is an issue with the backdrop/ text but this was a quick execution of your layout suggestion. Check out the text vs backdrop here.

squareh4t3r
p_ps2_samurai_01.jpg
smalllogo.jpg

It doesnt look bad, i actually like the fact that you can see more of the character but the logo is small and not the SNK norm.

Last edited:

Neon_Sonic

Setsuna's Owl Keeper
NeoCverA said:
heres a quick play at your layout Neon
thing1.jpg
neolay.jpg

I think you will still feel there is an issue with the backdrop/ text but this was a quick execution of your layout suggestion. Check out the text vs backdrop here.

Actually, I don't think the background is a problem in that version. Parts are covered up, but enough is viewable to where it's not like you have just little bits and pieces poiking through all over the place.

I do like that one a lot better, but being really anal, I think the character should be moved up just slightly and the screenshots put a little closer together and centered (they're a little too far to the right, now).

But, of course, that's really little stuff which I don't really expect you to correct, as I don't want to seem overly critical. Just trying to give you some specific feedback. :D

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
NeoCverA said:

I think that front looks terrific - I'd rather have the better looking version than rigidly adhere to some SNK standard.

Either of the backs look fine, IMO, but the above front I think is the way to go.

Last edited:

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Very good, 99% perfect ;)

EDIT:
I loved the small logo version.

I would make that white blur smaller, or just put a solid white thin line around the logo.

Last edited:

sQuareh4t3r

formerly "sQuareh4t3r", then "MacGuffin", now "sQu
NeoCverA said:
squareh4t3r
smalllogo.jpg

It doesnt look bad, i actually like the fact that you can see more of the character but the logo is small and not the SNK norm.
That is beautiful. The only thing that's wrong now is that the US logo isn't as cool as the JP logo. :crying: