Votes: 10 12.0%

Votes: 19 22.9%

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • 5 Special

Votes: 12 14.5%

• Total voters

kanji

Mega Shock!!
OK. Now that people have had a chance to completely play the fixed version of Samurai Shodown 5 Special, how does it stack up to the rest of the series?

Favorite Shodown, considering the fixed version of Special?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
3 for me. Not saying better than 2 or whatever, but it is my favorite.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I actually really enjoy SSVS, but I still put both IV and II above it. Anyway, here are my final rankings:

SS II
SS IV
SS V S
SS III
SS I
SS V

So yeah .... just to be clear - the above rankings are based on which games I enjoy the most, not which were the best for their time, which are technically superior, yada, yada, yada.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
II is still my favorite, and will always be.
SSVS comes in a close 2nd (MVS Version).

droid

Me Luv U Long Time,
1a. SS5S - the game simply kicks ass. Nearly perfect.
1b. SS1 - one of my all time favorite games.
3. SS2 - lots of ppl love it, but I always thought parts of it were kind of goofy.

Droid

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Havent played ss5/ss5s

but for me it goes.. hmm I have no order really

technically for me, and enjoyability wise:

ss4
ss1
ss2
ss3

but for nostalgia.. ss1, I didn't know any more samsho's came out until roughly 1998..

making up for it now though.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
godddamn! come on III!!

(havent played V or VS)

mah ranking:

III

II

IV

I

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I would love 3, I still do, I'll get it back one day (only have ss1,2,4 on ngh now)

I can *sortof* see your points referring to how 3 is better than 4

destroyable scenery
*definate* brightening and 'washing out' of colours, especially characters, nakaruru being one I noticed most.
other things .. uhm

yeah.. 4 sucks or something, everyone says so. Shit I need to dig out those 'why 3 > 4' threads sometime. Dunno about 5 and 5S as I've never played them, but that review was great.

thanks whoever posted that.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
a tie between 1 or 2 with the time factor considered. both are miracles.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
IMO, these facts make IV not fit to lick III`s toes

-cd combos

-abc & bcd retard moves

-fat looking charas with a horrible color palette

-overall slow feeling to the game (some moves seem to take ages to pull off, like ukyo`s standing C)

-removed special moves (ukyos b, f + A fuck!)

-no airblock, which results in some matches (vs. cpu) to become stupid counter hit/uppercut fests

-the time limit, not that it would be so hard to beat it, but as a concept it`s just lame.

-unified DM moves

These combined, amount to the fact that, it`s basically a raped version of III, take for example, Amakusa (one of my faves in III) and consider the way how differently he plays in IV, atleast ruins it for me. The stupid range of his standing C, etc

Finally, another thing, the strange feeling that when you kick your enemy, It doesn`t amount to anything, like Hanzo`s jumping d. In III it smacked the opponent properly,making him/her go into the "hit recieved" animation, but in IV the kicks just "glance" from them, making kicking virtually worthless, also airblock removal affects my hanzo playing quite severely

I know this isn`t very thorough, and as a gamer (lamer) I am quite the casual one, but I guess the real ss experts, like wasabi and yeldellGW have been there, done that and bought the t-shirt.

0var and out.

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
ssvs / ss2 belong at the top

ss 3,4,5 in no order in the middle

ss 1 at the bottom

hell they're all good in certain ways, but ssvs and ss2 seem more complete? as far as overall presentation (gfx, sound, "neo" feel, competitive playability).

oh and i voted for ssvs for teh win

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I can't vote on this yet... SSVS is still boring at times to me because I haven't had the time to unlock the potential of most of the characters. Still, I remember SS4 being that way too at first, and when I finally realized where the hidden strengths were it became one of the best. At this point I'd say:

SS4
SS3
SS64
SSVS
SS64 WR
SS2
SS5
SS1
SS64 WR 2

As with the past few years, I'm one of the only Samurai players you'll ever meet who won't bow down and worship Samurai 2. I've played hundreds of games and have rarely had an exciting or fun match... most of what I see in that game is bullshit revolving around prioirity and throw setups.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
nice,

thanks for your opionions both of you.

meh I'm enjoying ss4, I must be neo-mainstream.

neojedi said:
I can't vote on this yet... SSVS is still boring at times to me because I haven't had the time to unlock the potential of most of the characters. Still, I remember SS4 being that way too at first, and when I finally realized where the hidden strengths were it became one of the best. At this point I'd say:

SS4
SS3
SS64
SSVS
SS64 WR
SS2
SS5
SS1
SS64 WR 2

As with the past few years, I'm one of the only Samurai players you'll ever meet who won't bow down and worship Samurai 2. I've played hundreds of games and have rarely had an exciting or fun match... most of what I see in that game is bullshit revolving around prioirity and throw setups.

breal

Hardened Shock Trooper
Sam Shodown II will always hold that special peice of me

SSII
SSVS
SSV
SSIV
SSI
SSIII

kanji

Mega Shock!!
breal said:
Sam Shodown II will always hold that special peice of me

SSII
SSVS
SSV
SSIV
SSI
SSIII

Where can I see more of those videos???? :buttrock:

were8kosh

Rugal's Thug
15 Year Member
SS1 on the 3do
i know what your going to say but when this came out me and my good buds played the crap out of it.(looser packs) 420
these days its SSVS mvs

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
kernow said:
nice,

thanks for your opionions both of you.

meh I'm enjoying ss4, I must be neo-mainstream.

trust me i played ss4 into the ground over 5+ years at the arcade. no matter what else was out at the time, i always found myself back in front of the neo cab running through ss4 story mode.

it was also the very first mvs cart i ever owned, before i even had a system to play it on :kekeke:

it still holds a special place in my video-gaming heart, but i guess i don't think it's leagues bettter than 1-3 anymore.

the main reason i instantly liked 5 and 5special was the lack of options after the throw. in hindsight, i really think it was too much to be able to sweep (galford d+C slash), 14-hit, super, BCD, etc. after a simple throw setup...not to mention infinites for some characters.

basically the return to "simpler" gameplay was welcomed.

enjoy ss4 as it is a excellent game in its own right, i know i did. :mr_t:

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Now that I played every SS, I can do a ranking. Considering the SS series to be my favorite in video games, no need to say that all the episodes are more than close from each other so it's a more or less ranking:

SSVS
SS1
SS3
SS4
SS2

I just realized, writing the ranking, that SS2 was my least favorite of all SS. This is weird because I never felt the true feeling of this game. I'm sure it's a gem but it seems a little hidden for me. Maybe I should play at it far more than I have done.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
OH and as I can't edit a post (when you mods are finally gonna answer my request...), I just wanted to say that I found the time-quest VERY contradictory towards the spirit of the SS series. I find that every SS match has to be taken time because your opponent won't miss you if you make a mistake. Sometimes, when I fight with friend, seconds can pass off without a single hit. The mind game is really important in SS and time has nothing to do with this apart ruining the game by forcing you to attack.

Time is useless.