Samurai Shodown: Edge of Destiny (video)

Kimimi

n00b
There's no reason why a 3D SamSho couldn't work, but I'm not impressed by what I've seen of this; the older games always looked really vibrant but this seems very washed-out and generic.

Sadly, this one's a miss for me.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Looks like Asura Zanmaden rendering and gameplay, but with the Samurai Shodown 64 stages.

Just not that interesting. Asura Zanmaden was incredible, for 1998.

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
Asura Zanmaden gameplay was interesting because it had
-advanced life gauge, with healable damage part
-smart damage system (damage is determined by basic damage of attack, damage revision (if in combo), defense of body part which was hit, and deepness of cut I believe)
-variable height jumps
-followable guard destroyer throws
-big number of normals compared to 2D games
-part of characters had an unblockable normal, those were slow and mainly short-ranged though.
-back-turned attacks
-animal helpers follow the characters while on screen
-big variety of special moves (usually 5-10 per Shura/Rasetsu mode, some characters have up to 15)
-projectiles are in
-up to 3 different rage enhanced special moves
-supers
-pursuit of laying opponent
-wake-up attacks
-health recovery while laying down
-weapon deflect
-ukemi (aerial recovery)
-guard cancel
-counterhit stun from certain hits
-stumbling system
-S.C.S. combo system with 3 ways to initiate it (two of them being high and low deflects, plus usual combo starter), and the S.C.S. combos itself were: one for damage, one for bringing opponent to air, and one to fill rage gauge, plus several characters had unique combos (same as in case of SS4 and SS64).
-Rage Explosion
-MAX Rage Explosion
-Custom Combos after Rage Explosion (because more attacks became cancellable)
-Issen
-Issen Competition (used to determine winner after a draw)

Samurai Shodown 64 stages were
-Multi-Tiered with interactive parts where you could initiate stage transition
-Parts of stage where ringout was possible
-A "Cliffhanger" system which allowed character's interaction with arena edge, with several options to get back into arena while attacked had his own options to prevent it
-Different parts of arena could use different music pieces which was cool too

Sen Gameplay
-very big number of normals compared to 2D games, most of which will start basic combos.
-normals now are split into horisontal ones (can usually be evaded by ducking) and vertical ones (evaded by sidestep)
-to find your character's best (longest reach/best priority) overhead attack, and similar low attack, and mixing them seems very effective way to play, forcing opponent into pure guessing
-everybody has juggle starter, and long juggle combos are possible. The best way to do long juggle is to repeat your fastest/longest attack while moving forward.
-arenas are non-interactive and seemingly surrounded by invisible wall, and wall juggles are even longer than normal ones
-high weapon deflect
-low weapon deflect
-universal knee-to-face throw for all characters, seemingly same damage as well
-universal ABCR slow unblockable slash for ~50% life damage that all characters can use (animation is different depending on character)
-filled Rage Gauge now produces no effect aside of "hearbeat" sound
-In order to use a filled Rage Gauge, one should use the Rage Explosion (which now serives simply as a way to get into Rage)
-During Rage, character's normal attack do more damage (they have fiery trails after them, too), and 1 bonus special move (so called "Ikari Waza" = "Rage Technique") is available to use
-However, Rage duration itself is VERY short (4~6 seconds), and during that character can do bigger damage via juggle thanks to powered normals, so "Ikari Waza' is rarely used
-After Rage is gone, Rage Gauge can start filling again
-Issen can be used when character is on extremely low life, however its range is very short (like that of a throw), plus its blockable. Deals solid damage but very hard to get close especially against weak slash spam
-NO proper jump game, jumps are pretty slow
-NO projectiles => NO long-range game
-NO "supernatural" special moves, most of them look as if SNK wanted to make them "realistic", mostly they can be simply described as "sword swing in X direction" or "punch" or "kick" etc. No variety, unless you need variety solely in terms of fencing.
-NO supers
-Pets dont follow characters on screen and their actions are considerably more limited now
-Weak slash spam is fast and effectively prevents opponent from both using slow powerful attack / unblockable / close range throw.
-Basic gameplay flow => Weak slash spam => High-Low Game => Juggle Starter => Juggle Combo. If someone stops weak slash spam he often eats the universal throw.

Last edited:

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
Loopz and Lyte Edge, can you tell us which is the main characteristic of game? Like in SS2 it was introduction of supers, in SS3 the Shura/Rasetsu system and grades, in SS4 combos and issen, SS64 the overall concept of arenas and free movement etc. Which is the defining feature of this game?

1995-style stiff movement and preset canned combos?

Seriously, I can't stress enough how great the game looks, then you play it and it feels like something that was released 14 years ago. Soul Edge (as in the original) plays better than this game does.

Get the SS Anthology, enjoyed SS1-6, and forget Sen even exists. It's SS Warriors Rage PSOne level BAD; Regulation A this is NOT.

Last edited:

Mad Mage

Edo Express Delivery Guy
20 Year Member
I played it the one time I found it in an arcade. Like everyone's saying, despite being somewhat pretty, there's no reason for this game to exist. Since then I have yet to see the game in ANY Japanese arcade. At least maximum impact sort of took advantage of the 3D. This game feels like a step backwards in every direction.

black_7

Fio's Quartermaster
It looks passable to me. Nothing to get excited about. I'll buy, play and probably sale it. A little disappointing actually. There is too much stiffness in the animation. For example, look at Genjuro when he's swinging his sword in the second video. His pony tail looks like paper. Why? Why not make it swing in the wind as he swings his sword, like Hanzo's scarf does. This is the XBOx SNK, you can do a little more with this game. You're not held back by inferior technology. DAMMIT!

Also, it looks kinda unnecessarily violent. Like they were trying to lure us in with the prospect of decapitating someone.

"Hey kids, you like the sight of blood don't you? We made sure to make the cut scenes of your opponent looking at his nubby wrist extra long."

Last edited:

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
I'll rent it and give it a shot and might pick it up if it can be had cheap (20 bucks or less)

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
This is the XBOx SNK, you can do a little more with this game. You're not held back by inferior technology. DAMMIT!
The game was created for the Taito Type X2 actually, but your point still stands.

ikariwarriorf22

New Challenger
Black 7, Fighting Games be...Needlessly Violent? Please, that is non-sensical. Ultraviolence goes hand in hand in...M Rated fighting games! There hasn't been a great M Rated fighter with decapitations since...Barbarian on the Commodore 64.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I played this in the arcade when it was released and thought it was terrible. I'm willing to give it another shot on console, too bad it's Xbox360 exclusive. I think I'll be sticking to SSZspecial for my Samurai fix for the rest of my life.

It was cool to hear Shane Bettenhausen's voice in the preview trailer. He made me want to check out the game again by comparing it to Bushido Blade.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
I played this in the arcade when it was released and thought it was terrible. I'm willing to give it another shot on console, too bad it's Xbox360 exclusive. I think I'll be sticking to SSZspecial for my Samurai fix for the rest of my life.

It was cool to hear Shane Bettenhausen's voice in the preview trailer. He made me want to check out the game again by comparing it to Bushido Blade.

Huh. So Shane doesn't know what he's talking about. Good way to pile on the PR I guess, but lol.

Last edited:

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Maybe it will look better when it comes out. Right now the characters look like plastic.

iam not excited, i´d rather have poorly animated 2D than this but i know all buy it anyway...

Exactly.
Who's bright idea was it to present this game as "Sam Sho sim". The darkness, lack of color & life & overall aesthetic is terrible & never what the series has been about. Christ, it looks like the Gran Tourismo of the SS family.

To make matters worse (& as previously) stated this game looks like it plays more like Toshinden that Soul Calibur meets Sam Sho. I await this w/ complete, warranted, skepticism....character select screen sure is pretty though.

Last edited:

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
If they wanted to went full 3D once again they shouldve bring multi-tiered arenas from SS64 at least, like in Galford's stage you fight on ship, get knocked from ship then fight in port, etc. Hell, SS64 even had character cameos in background of San Francisco stage, and Nakoruru/Rimururu grandparents and animals in Kamui Kotan stage, etc. And its possible to add background characters in 3D as well, just look at Tekken 5 urban jungle arena as quick example, it has whole crowd in background that cheers. Now Sen arenas are beautiful yet empty, without action, without life/people/animals, and non-interactive --> as the rest of game good for screenshots but not so good when you actually play.

Golba's stage has troops in background and they can be seen in cutscene before you fight him, but you dont see them much when you fight as they are like 1 floor down the arena/balcony where you fight

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
Exactly.
Who's bright idea was it to present this game as "Sam Sho sim". The darkness, lack of color & life & overall aesthetic is terrible & never what the series has been about. Christ, it looks like the Gran Tourismo of the SS family.

To make matters worse (& as previously) stated this game looks like it plays more like Toshinden that Soul Calibur meets Sam Sho. I await this w/ complete, warranted, skepticism....character select screen sure is pretty though.

You know what's sad? I think Toshinden played more fluently than this game does. :oh_no:

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
Someone knows why on select screen characters have different types (Power, Speed, Skill, & Strange) if everyone plays the same way (weak slash spam + juggle)?

I mean, for example in Warriors Orochi game, Power characters had superarmor and gauge-draining super, Speed character had air dash, air cancel and some non-gauge-draining specials, Technique characters had counterattack ability (initiated when taking hit, at cost of some of gauge energy), different enhanced versions of their specials, and Critical Hit ability that allowed to deal more damage on juggled opponent.

Now in Sen there seems to be no particular difference

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
A lot of times when my expectations are very low I end up really liking the game. We'll see.

bemanicho1

Ninja Combat Warrior
This game really doesn't look good, even compared to the Bloody Roar games. Still, I might give it a shot, since I think graphically it looks nice and I love the SamSho characters and universe. As long as it isn't Criticom or Shaq-Fu bad I might still be able to enjoy it.

Twinkle Star

Benimaru's Hairdresser
This game really doesn't look good, even compared to the Bloody Roar games. Still, I might give it a shot, since I think graphically it looks nice and I love the SamSho characters and universe. As long as it isn't Criticom or Shaq-Fu bad I might still be able to enjoy it.

Im pretty sure this game won't be as awful as Shaq-Fu..:D