Samurai Shodown 5

Rick

Crazed Addict,
I am seriously loving this game! I started talking about the game in another thread, but I'll start a new one...

First off, the music during the character select screen ROCKS, some of the coolest ever. I'm still trying to figure out some of YungFei's moves, but he is a great new character and so is Yoshitora; Yoshitora has this move; start 3x to taunt and drop your weapon (ala part 4) but when he goes to pick it up, you better not be standing close by, 'cuz as he is putting his 7 swords back on, he swings the biggest one around him, hitting if you're close. Cool!
Everyone has 4 colors, and their own backgrounds and music (the one complaint that I just tdon't understand is the use of recycled backgrounds. Instead of just having 8 backgrounds and characters sharing them (like in part4) they brought back the old ones, in most cases touching them up and recoloring them so everyone could have their own. This isn't a bad thing. Everyone wants characters to have thier own bgrounds and now they do. As much as I'd like to see 27 new backgrounds, it just wouldn't happen..)
I'm really getting into the meditation system as well; you can do cool stuff with it. You can't use it until the critical round, where you're facing death, though. Some characters are geared to work with the meditation system because they're calm, cool and in-control (Suija and Yung Fei) therefore they can really use the system. Others such as Enja are more geared to the rage gauge explosions because they cannot control their rage and it takes forever for them to use the meditation system. What you can do is, when facing death,life meter in the BLUE, lets say your opponent throws a fireball type move at you. What you do is backwards fireball and cd, then you will continue to move at normal speed while everything is slowed down; you can easily see the fireball coming, jump over it and get to your opponent before they can block, hit them with a 2 in 1 and finish with an "issen attack" (BCD) Blood everywhere,match over.
I havent beat the last boss yet, but he has two forms. After you win a round, he'll transform into a demon with green fire engulfing him, and the background will be destroyed as well, with green fire everywhere.

All in all, this game is especially a treat for Samurai Shodown 3 fans. It takes everything that was RIGHT in that game and removes what was wrong. I would say it's more like 3 than 4, but it does possess the few good qualities that 4 had.

Rick

Crazed Addict,
not bragging at all... it's just I dont have anyone to play the game with me and none of my friends are into the NEo, so I wanted to talk about the game with people who were...

Lee Gray

Better Than Krauser
20 Year Member
Rick said:

All in all, this game is especially a treat for Samurai Shodown 3 fans. It takes everything that was RIGHT in that game and removes what was wrong. I would say it's more like 3 than 4, but it does possess the few good qualities that 4 had.
Pity that... i dont like either 3 or 4, wish you had said it was like 2 ;)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Rick said:
not bragging at all... it's just I dont have anyone to play the game with me and none of my friends are into the NEo, so I wanted to talk about the game with people who were...
And I got nothing against it. :D
Cool you're sharing that with us.
This game sounds cooler and cooler, I don't really do NOT mind about recycled backgrounds...
People just don't know what to bitch about, they just know they have to bitch about something.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Re: Re: Samurai Shodown 5

Lee Gray said:
Pity that... i dont like either 3 or 4, wish you had said it was like 2 ;)
The fact big slashes are made by pressing A+B already makes it a bit more like 2 than 3 and 4 were, no ? :p

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
Keep the info coming!!!! This is great. SvC was disappointing to me, but this just sounds awesome!

Rick

Crazed Addict,
Yeah I was jsut gonna say about the A+B hard slash thing. Samurai 2 was a SNK masterpiece no doubt. I always preferred 3 though. I love the dark atmosphere and the dramaticism in the battles. That is what makes pt. 5 seem like it recaptures the old nostalgia.

PUNJABEE

Banned
Naw rick, i was just jokin with you man. Im glad you like the game, I cant wait to play it.. so I'm naturally envious..

Im glad some people have it and are providing reviews of the game. I remember how excited I was when SSIV was released. That's m favorite one so far, (except for 2, you cant say 2 because that's the Empire Strikes Back of the series) so I cant wait to check it out!

I hope someone at the Neo party im going to has it this weekend.

Rick

Crazed Addict,
I didn't take your comment seriously;it's ok

Enja and Suija have really come into their own. Suija has got a new stance and a new move similar to Ukyo's swallow swipe. All of Suija's moves must be done in the air, even his super. When Enja or Suija are disarmed, they can't do any of their fire/water moves. They also have a complicated storyline from what I can tell; I just wish I could read Japanese.
Enja's 3 part combo move (qcf + A, qcf + B, dp + C does about 80% damage if you do the last hit correctly. Otherwise, if he doesn't get all the hits off, he falls to the ground and does his "exhausted" animation and has serious lag time.

I can see how this game would be a blast to play in vs.

Rick

Crazed Addict,
Yeah, thanks. I was reading that the other day...
SNK-P did such an in-depth job on the story aspect of he game; I mean there is ALOT of text in the game and different for every character. It's unfortunate they didn't bother or have the time to do a translation to english.

JFlex

Marked Wolf
Glad to hear it's a great game! I look forward to purchasing it. How is the new character with the bow & arrow (don't know her name)?

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
This game gotta be the coolest Neo release since Garou MotW and the end of the SNK era...

Amix

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Rick said:
It's unfortunate they didn't bother or have the time to do a translation to english.

Meh, it could be for the best. A dramatic story for the English versions tends to be along the lines of, "My blade is to beat Noodlehead!" or something rather. :annoyed:

ni-ten

War Room Troll
"I awake from 100 years of sleep to kick some butt!"
C'mon you gotta love those lines,it gave the game
a certain kind of character.
I'll surely miss them...
The only ugly thing here is,how long they made
us wait for this game!

Last edited:

matsukaze

Kuroko's Training Dummy
translation issues and combo-orientation

The thread moved, so I guess I'll move my reply.

I think this is my favorite game of the series since SS2.

We really ought to start some kind of petition to have the 1-player mode properly translated. I think I will. This is just too huge a loss. There's so much going on there that we shouldn't miss. How hard would it be for them to do? When they're finished, they could send it to the US for... uh... further editing. They could use the SNK vs. Capcom translation team. Just give me the chance and I'LL DO IT! :glee: Maybe it's just too late.

RyoGeo's right. Some of the past SS English dialogue was just horrible. SS1 is the only game in the series where I liked (some) of the Anglicized translations. The translation is one of the only things that bothered me about SS2 (that was Engrish, not poor writing). Both bother me, especially when the Engrish is so bad you can't understand what the hell they're trying to say. I'd just like to see dialogue that's true to the original (no crazy funsters or noodleheads), and grammatically correct (no, "You kindly give the palm to such a crock"). Why doesn't SNKP understand that the appeal of this series is traditional Japanese fantasy and samurai culture?

Beezlebubble: you think SSV is combo-based? I've played it a lot now, and I don't get that feeling at all. As a matter of fact, I've never played a 2d fighting game in which the designers took so many pains to keep it from being combo-oriented! They got rid of the CD combos, so there's no more chain combo problems (or chain infinites). They even added the sword-power meter. The sword-power meter greatly weakens all combos. If you "wait for the right moment" to do a single attack, you'll probably end up doing more damage in the long run (most of the time). As far as I can see, this system rewards a more realistic fighting pace without forcing the issue. It feels very smooth and natural to me. One could argue that SSV is less combo oriented than SS2, or maybe even SS1!

Matsukaze

Last edited:

Rick

Crazed Addict,
Yeah, I don't see it as combo oriented at all. I've managed to combo maybe 1 hit into a super, but thats about it. The weapon gauge bar really makes performing combos pointless, 'cuz by the time you'd get to the final hit, the strength of the attack would be pitiful. As a matter of fact, you can't even combo out of the push back throw (fwd or bk + C). You can perform a slash that knocks the opponent down, but that's it.

I agree that is the best Sam Sho since 2. Samurai fans will not be dissappointed!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Rick said:
Samurai fans will not be dissappointed!
I know I won't be.
The only two things that piss me off so far are: Shitty English mode, and no "cut in two" or "blood fontains" finishes. :p
I would also have liked to see some SS2 characters to come back, like Gen An... But it's okay.

It'll still kick ass. :D

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
Holy crap dude, I just noticed you're from Chicago. I live in the area too. WHERE ARE YOU PLAYING THIS GAME???? It's worth the road trip across town.

Rick

Crazed Addict,
I live close to downtown. Right at Chicago and Milwaukee ave.

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
NOOOOOOOO!!!!! Ugh, maybe the Black Hole will get it. Nickle City got SvC pretty quickly because they pre-ordered it, so I wondered if they'll get this too.