Salamander 2 impressions????

John_Smith

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Hey guys!! I just wanted peep's opinions of 'Salamander 2' on Konami's GX hardware as I haven't had the pleasure myself.

I'm ordering a bunch of boards from a distributor at the mo and that's one of the items I'm looking at, but I've been humming'n harring about it as I've not had any experience with it.

I can't find any decent in depth reviews for it either which is frustrating. Plus I can't get it to work in Mame, as all the ROM's I find seem to be missing one small binary which Mame seems to need. Anyway, lets not get on a Mame trip here, just opinions/impressions would be fantastic!! :D

Cheers!

John_Smith

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
it's pretty good,loads of cool effects

see stage 1

i don't like the lame vertical stages,myself

a decent / solid game but other konami shooters are better

sexy / gokujou parodius for example

there's the nice saturn salamander collection if you don't feel like risking too much with the pcb

John_Smith

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Fran said:
it's pretty good,loads of cool effects

see stage 1

i don't like the lame vertical stages,myself

a decent / solid game but other konami shooters are better

sexy / gokujou parodius for example

there's the nice saturn salamander collection if you don't feel like risking too much with the pcb

Ah thanks for that Fran!! I might reconsider my options and certainly keep your recommendations in mind! ;)

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Fran's pretty much got it covered.

It's got very pretty special effects, nice sprites, great music, but pretty run-of-the-mill Konami gameplay. I lusted after it for a long time, then got the Saturn version and felt like it was basically just more of the same. Sexy Parodius is definitely more of a fun and unique Konami shooter. Or the amazing Gradius V for that matter.

Not the worst or the best, just more Konami love.

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
A little late to the party, but I sent you a PM regarding what file you're missing. :cool:

barf

Maxima's Barber
Heck yes, sexy parodius is the pinacle of humour shmup, i love the PSX extra level after you finish the game (the one with the cyber pinguin) :)

If you want another crazy shooter try Twinbee Yahoo !
((((((( ( )o ^_^ )(o )

Salamander 2 is really a nice classic shmup, it s just not verry surprising, i hate the final boss, i felt like he was out of place with his stupid stupid head... (and he is damned hard), but if i remember salamander 1 boss was about the same no ? (i have weak memories of salamander 1 final because the extra fast portion before it used to exterminate my last lives)

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Some body move this to the shooter thread please ;)

Btw i can agree with every here... it is a "great classic shooter" period.